The view from 14,421 feet

DBear

With a new baby on the way during Colorado Elk Season I decided to do a summer trip scouting new land. Did 30 miles and 9000 vertical in 5 days with an end on Mt Harvard. Not bad for an east coast flat lander. Awesome trip! Even tried out some pack llamas for part of the trip

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 920
Nice!
From another North Carolinian, the Uwharrie Mountains doesn't look quite like that does it?
And congratulations on the new upcoming baby!

Cream and Crimson BABY!!! The wife and I are both IU grads and the boy is in Bloomertown this weekend for freshman orientation.....I am so bad about it that I am an IU FOOTBALL fan :)

You didn't plan the whole baby thing all that well.... Just kidding congrats on that and awesome pics!

Ah yes. You were in my local mountains. It's where I hang out most of the time. I live at 8000ft, and can be at 12.000ft in 20 min.

Air gets a bit thin up there for us living at 800 feet, huh? Trying to wangle a trip back to CO this fall if for nothing more than the camp cook chores; either that or to the hill country of Texas in hopes of scaring up an aoudad.

Are you a member of NCGO or NCH&F by any chance?

Last edited:
As it turns out, I will be elk hunting as I drew a Kentucky tag but that is going to be another story. As far as a Hoosier living in NC, the debate is always NC vs Indiana, which is the better BBall state....it ends with me saying my High School Gym seated 8996 and would sell out....

As it turns out, I will be elk hunting as I drew a Kentucky tag but that is going to be another story. As far as a Hoosier living in NC, the debate is always NC vs Indiana, which is the better BBall state....it ends with me saying my High School Gym seated 8996 and would sell out....

no comparison. . .out of the top 10 High school stadiums in the nation, I believe 6 or so are right here!! HOOSIERS baby!!!:D

NC has good COLLEGE programs but HS is a different altogether :hump: I was forced to lived in Fayette-nam for a year and I thank God everyday I got hell out of there ASAP. Between the crime, the horrible schools and the racism on all fronts the PCS to CO couldn't happen quickly enough. I will say that I DO love the OBX (especially Avon, Buxton, Hatteras and down to Ocracoke). The only thing about living in CO that has disappointed me so far are the HS sports. VERY mediocre for the most part. Football and basketball are simply horrible.

Back