Caribou Gear Tarp

The shining moment of the 2017 elk season for me

phutch30

So the seasons over and its a time for reflection. Overall I had fun...I kind of over extended myself of hosting buddies on hunts this yr, but that's my fault. I wanted to share an experience that takes the cake as far as public land a-holes go...in my experience anyway. I can honestly say its something I would never do in a lifetime of hunting, I don't care how bad I wanted an elk or how big the elk was. Also, Let me state here, that this occurred on public land and everyone is entitled to equal use and access. BUT....

My buddy from Ohio (63yrs old) came out the end of the 3rd week of Novemeber. He got here just as I finished a fun successful eastern MT deer hunt with a couple of friends from FL. Due to my big mouth relating how much fun it was, I ended up turning around and driving back to eastern MT the next day with my buddy and son for another 3 days of deer hunting...which cut in half the elk hunt he originally came out for. ..Anyway all he wanted was a decent bull. I had been watching some elk for a couple weeks that sporadically had a couple 5x5s in with them. So Mon morn after driving most of the night we hit the mnt to go after them. Well, long story short it took us longer to get to them than I had anticipated...something about not being able to breath or something. We did get to the top to watch about 70 head w/ two ok racked bulls feed into the trees from 600 yds away with no options to get closer, ie no cover and crunchy snow. So I told my buddy we could come back that afternoon or the next morn and they would most likely be back out. Well after hiking out he decided maybe the next morn would work better.

Heres where it all went in the toilet. I got us up and going an extra hr early so we would have time to make the climb to where the elk were. So way before daylight we were climbing and about an hr into the climb I see headlights coming up the access rd. I turned on the blinker on my headlamp thinking it might alert them to our presence... and it did. They stopped for a few min and then kept coming. I told my buddy we were going to have company and we needed to pick up the pace. I watched the truck drive up the rd and park literally right beside mine. We kept hiking another 20 min and got to the top with 30 min to go till legal. As it starts to get light I see there are about 120-150 elk on the ridge across from us about 700 yds away and we are between the elk and the trees and they are feeding towards us.

Now, we are on a wide open hillside 1500 vertical feet above the truck 1.25 miles away....which is visible, also visible are the two guys that parked beside me who are climbing up the draw below us and between us and the elk. I flash my light at them...and I know the see us because Im looking at them through my bino's looking at us. They 100% know we are on the elk, they know we are close to the elk, but that doesn't stop them. They keep coming and make it plain they are going to come up right between us and the elk. I cow call to them and the stop and look at us again and keep coming. Im like are u kidding me!!, they are really going to do this!!!!!!! We can now see there are 9 legal bulls with two 6x6s at the back of the main wad. The closest cows are ~400 yds and closing. The bulls are all at 582 yds. Its now legal shooting and I tell my buddy we have to do something stupid and move on the elk...the closest of which will for sure see us and spook, but with the 2 guys slipping right between us and the elk we have no choice. So we move and spook a group of about 30 cows, but not the main group. The 2 guys see us moving on the elk and start running up the slope between us and the bulls. I'm not into combat hunting, so I concede to these scumbags. As we are standing there watching these two jackwagons walk across right in front of us, I'm in total amazement that this actually happened. I make a decision to sink somewhat to their level. I fired a round into the hillside totally in the opposite direction away from us, them and the elk, hollered thank you!, and spooked the whole herd. Buddy asked why I did that and I replied I'm not proud of it, but I'll be dammed if I was going to watch them shoot two bulls right in front of us after what they did.

Ive been hunting here in MT for over 20 yrs. I hunt almost exclusively on public land, in an area with some of the highest hunter numbers in the state. Ive seen some actions that made me question why I bothered, but Ive never seen such blatant unethical disregard for other hunters.

Anyway that's my rant for the yr.

Last edited:
What a bummer. Some folks seem to forget just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should do it.

I have come to the conclusion over the years that no matter where you hunt or live there are A-holes everywhere. Sorry to hear about your experience.

Sounds similar to mine from about 7-8 years ago, except I had my niece with me as a youth hunter and she could shoot a cow. We were walking up a ridge and I turned around and looked behind me and here's this guy huffing and puffing up behind us practically dragging his kid. When he finally caught up to us he asked "you know there's elk up there, are you guys going after them" at which time I replied " uhh yah we're working our way up there hunting as we go"...
so he turns away and goes back down the slope. When we reach up near the top i look in the snow and there's his boot tracks in front of us, he dropped down in the adjacent gulch and cut in front of us.

We look up just in time to see him and his kid shoot at a cow in front of us about a 100 yards. You want to talk about disappointment in a kids eyes? You shoulda seen my niece, she was 13 and just wanted to get off the mountain at that point. We just walked away cause I was ready to choke the stupid bastard at that point. Don't know who he was, heck mighta been someone from this forum. My point is there are jerks everywhere, just don't be one of them.

I think what you did was valid, not sure I woulda done the same but it what you decided at the time.

Sounds familiar. On Friday, my wife and I were looking for a pretty decent buck that we had been seeing. We were sitting glassing some coulees and does when we had just spotted the buck at the edge of a timbered coulee he chased a doe back into the coulee and just as we were getting ready to go after him, 2 pick-ups roll down the road, stop, look at us, look at the drainage, look back at us and they all (6 guys) jump out and all of them start walking up the coulee. They had no idea that deer was there but they must of figured we were looking at something. Anyway, I didn't want to watch the buck we'd been chasing for two days get shot right in front of us so we left. That was how I ended my 2017 season.

Looking back I thought about doing the same thing phutch did. It was a tough season, didn't see a legal elk all rifle, I couldn't catch a break and I was pretty frustrated by this point. It's probably a good thing I didn't because it might have been into the side of one of those pick-ups.

That is the bad part about hunting public ground especially for elk. Elk make people do stupid things. I don’t blame you for your decision as I have lost my cool in a similar situation.

Two or three years ago I had guy cork me while antelope hunting and one while deer hunting, who is a highly respected member of this site I might add. I whitnessed the antelope hunter literally running to get a head of us and the deer hunter used a small cut to close the 1000 yard gap and loop around us while we were actually hunting or way into an area.

Flash forward to this year where I ran into a group of hunters on opening day watching the same group of elk I was. Instead of rushing in and trying to shoot one I made contact with them to figure out a plan. They decided to try and loop around another group of hunters, who were also watching the elk, to try and get a shot. I told them I would hang back and watch the show. They made it about 150 yards away when I noticed a lone bull walking my direction. I found a little rise to get set up on and watched this bull get closer and closer. He was at 200 yards when I heard the first shot ring out from behind me and to my left. I watched as the bull jumped and stood there for the second shot. I was lucky enough to make a move on a lone cow several mins later but made a point to go over and express my displeasure about them shooting a bull out from under me. They claimed they didn’t see me so I took some pics for them and went about my business.

It happens everywhere!!!! I have commented on this before, even down here in the deep south. The world of sportsmen is full of AZZZZZZES. We have them pull their boat on top of us while we are on fish all the time. Funny thing is watching them run up on the sandbars wide open and kick the lower unit up. There is no fish or game animal I want to kill that I am going to ruin another persons trip over.

As it starts to get light I see there are about 120-150 elk on the ridge across from us about 700 yds away and we are between the elk and the trees and they are feeding towards us.

You need take a course in combat elk hunting from the Deckard Flats University. On a positive note, I hunted the entire rifle season, almost everyday, at least out glassing a bit before/after work and hunting 20+ half or full days during the rifle season In one day, you saw about 150 times more elk on public land than I did the entire rifle season.

The best elk hunting is in the worst places and vice versa.

I understand why you did what you did. If you talk to other public land hunters, it sure seems like everyone has a similar story. I suppose an argument could be made for being the bigger person and walking away, but there would be little satisfaction in seeing poor behavior rewarded. The primary downside I suppose is that you could create a conflict in the woods with a$$holes with guns - could be a bad situation.

I would rather go hunting and see little to no game and the same for critters, than go to areas that are heavily hit by hunters and have high densities of animals. Solitude is as much a part of hunting as killing and seeing game for me personally, and the conflict between hunters whether intense or subtle is my absolute least favorite part of hunting. Sucks this happened to you, but so it goes on public land sometimes.

You need take a course in combat elk hunting from the Deckard Flats University. On a positive note, I hunted the entire rifle season, almost everyday, at least out glassing a bit before/after work and hunting 20+ half or full days during the rifle season In one day, you saw about 150 times more elk on public land than I did the entire rifle season.

The best elk hunting is in the worst places and vice versa.

I may have seen more elk, but u saw more big bulls than I did. The two cows I shot pale in comparison to what u shot. I'm going full Greenhorn next yr and leaving the crowds and elk behind....or just shoot the 1st 5x that comes in during archery and be dun.

It was just bad luck. Our tracks on Mon and Tue mornings were the only ones up there in the snow. In all the mornings I had glassed this face, id never seen anyone up there. Id have to guess they were seen the evening before

Last edited:
I experienced my first rifle season this year and witnessed what is the zoo of elk hunting during rifle season in and around the Madison Valley. I had only archery hunted here before this year. I procrastinated during archery and didn't get out enough thinking I would just go out with the rifle and get one. I'm not making that mistake again. I will gladly shoot one on opening day of archery next year and be finished elk hunting for the year, just to not have to deal with all of the crowds and craziness.

A few years back I was putting a stalk on a herd of antelope when a truck full of guys pulled up and parked right next to our rig. My dad was sitting in the truck and told them I was out stalking the herd. They didn’t care and started stalking too. Luckily my dad radioed me to make a move because those guys were coming in behind me. I did, and shot a nice buck.

Similar situation on a bighorn ewe hunt. I scouted for one evening and the next full day prior to season opening. A guy showed up right before sunset saying he had a buddy with a ewe tag and they would be hunting the area in the morning. I knew there were 200 ewes in a string along the mountain ridge but the ridge was the unit border so after one shot the ewes might be gone. Suggested he stop by and we could go up together in the morning and his buddy and I could each pick out a ewe and shoot at same time. Was a very target rich environment of mature ewes.

Next morning I hear the vehicle bouncing along the log road and am ready. The guy I had spoken to got out and said his buddy wanted to hunt alone. Okay, I had lots of days could hang on mountain so whatever. The log road went almost to the top of the ridge and was one turnout could park and not block the road about 750 yards from the top. Was cold so I started my rig and drove up and parked in the cutout so could run the engine with the heater and watch the shooting.

About 10 minutes after was shooting light I see the sheep take off so knew the guy shot. I rolled the window down and killed the engine. Boom. Second shot. I can't see a ewe down and the string of ewes is running away along the ridge. Boom. The ewes turn down the ridge but there is a cliff so they now are running back towards the shooter and passed him. I knew from my scouting they were headed down further towards me and would either head up over the ridge near the peak or drop down near me where there was a trail they followed over a series of hills. I grabbed my rifle and shooting sticks and took off. I am not an athlete anymore but work out a bit which as a flatlander in the thin air near Trinchera Peak meant I was huffing and puffing after 100 yards. I got to where could see up between the 2nd and 3rd hills and the ewes had calmed down as they were now merely briskly walking in a string. I picked out what seemed to be a dry ewe and shot. The ewe folded. I tagged the ewe and walked back up to my SUV. I could see that sheer cliff and one of the guys was rappelling down about 100 feet. What? I drove down to be nearer the ewe. Took pictures. Skinned and quartered and got everything loaded in the SUV. Drove back up to the cutout and the guy was trying to quarter a ewe on that cliff face. I honked about 20 times then got out and waved then smiled as I headed towards home.

Day before season. Ewes above the cliff on ridge that is the western boundary of the unit.

IMG_4399 2.jpg

CO ewe hunt Oct 2012_Fotor.jpg

Last edited:
Had the exact same thing happen deer hunting a few years ago. Some people are just completely oblivious to their surroundings and don’t care about anyone but themselves.

Firing in the opposite hill to scare the game is criminal. What the hunters did to you is disrespectable , low life, and totally unethical.

Yours was the worst crime.

Sounds like everyday public land hunting.But yes,you could have been cited for that.I imagine it's not something you plan to do again and it was heat of the moment,but not a smart decision
In archery this year,I had to guys race to pass me on a trail.They told me where they were heading and I said fine,I won't bother you.Funny thing was the elk were all around my camp at the trailhead that night and went lower instead of higher as morning came.So they raced passed me thinking they would get to the elk first,but they basically ran past all the elk,lmao.I seen them around lunch back at their truck and they didn't hear or see anything.I was in alot of elk that morning and had a big bull 10 yards outside my archery range.Of course I told them I didn't hear or see a thing.You just get use to this stuff on public.I try to have plan A B and C just for this reason

Back