Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

The "ranchers are good stewards" myth!

Right Elky,

National defense and police/prison security are a must and the cost to provide them should be divided equally among the population. The only question would be how strong of protection we need.

So if the total cost is represented by X annually, and Y is the number of people in the country, then X/Y would be each persons annual share of National Security. This is how it would work in a society where there were no subsidies. Not how it is today, "let's make the rich guy pay for everything".

Works for me.

Paul

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 05-06-2003 06:52: Message edited by: Paul C ]</font>

Thanks Paul....
wink.gif

Of course, police can be a waste of taxpayers' money...when they won't go after the big boys. Seems most of them are scared to go after the real criminals, they want to bust kids for smoking a little pot, not as dangerous you know. I'd sure like to see them change their priorities, and do the job they're being paid to do. And I have to say, I've seen first hand how much money is wasted on fighting wildfires. I bet Elkchsr can confirm that.
biggrin.gif

Yep, some of the people spending the money act as if they have an open check book and the sky's the limit, fortunatly, there are those that are starting to put an end to that..
One thing I think is real funny, well-not really, is the fact that they will dump huge volumes of money in things that really don't matter, then pinch litterally pennies when it comes to some ones wages that is actually out doing the lions share of work...
smile.gif

Elkchsr, at the Biscuit fire in Oregon they had rented electric golf carts for lazy people to ride around camp. I don't remember what the cost was per day but it was ridiculous. That's just one example. Lots of money spent on lots of things that are totally unnecessary. But, I have heard also that they are working on that problem.

This is off the subject, but are you required to do the work capacity test, or pack test as some people call it? This year I am being required to do it for the first time. You know what I'm talking about don't you? The 3 miles in 45 minutes with a 45 pound pack?

W. H.,

I think the police should be able to shake down all dope smoking, nose pierced punks, and then sell the booty to the college profs. This will go a long way towards financing the police force!

Paul

yep here i go again, the local police arn`t even allowed to arrest illegal`s in this country, they write them ticket`s for no insurance, speeding etc. then they don`t pay the fines, then they go to jail for one night and the judge let`s them go and the continue the cycle, but they are never DEPORTED, if they are caught in small group`s they have a free pass because I.N. S. won`t come out unless they are in group`s of 30- 40.

Ithaca~

Thanks for not being afraid to shed a different light on some controversial conservation issues. That book looks like a good read. I have just recently read this and a few other threads in this little corner of this site, and I have noticed a couple of things and have come to a couple conclusions...

1. Most people don't like change.

2. You have to be able to see both sides of a story to come up with a solution that will work in the real world.

This BLM grazing rights deal is a huge problem in a system that has goneunchecked, and abused for a long time. The problems created by this abuse dont go away with burying your head in the sand, and sticking up for the old outdated antiquated system of managing our rangeland.

I have no problems with ranchers or other people legitimately using public land for their livelyhood, but there needs to be accountability, and an eye out for the needs of the overall environment and total ecosystem (aaaaaaaaaaah! I said the E words
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
!) and wildlife habitat in general.

Bottom line, it comes down to having people like you who are not satisfied with the status quo, and actually give a sh*t enought to try and make the System better.

soapbox.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> This is off the subject, but are you required to do the work capacity test, or pack test as some people call it? This year I am being required to do it for the first time. You know what I'm talking about don't you? The 3 miles in 45 minutes with a 45 pound pack? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, we have to do this one every year...LOL..
I hit mine in 37 minutes last year, I was going after the 35 mark, but ended up turning around with in 200 feet of the finish line to walk back to the last one in our group that was on our crew and walked with him to make sure he passed..LOL.. So ended up putting on an extra quarter mile plus on mine this year...But at least all of our people made it. What is your job on the fires???
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I think the police should be able to shake down all dope smoking, nose pierced punks, and then sell the booty to the college profs. This will go a long way towards financing the police force! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If there is any one so far as I've seen that is thought to be using on the fires, the drug dogs are immediatly brought in..
smile.gif

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mtbirdandbiggamehunter
Back