The Old Days in Colorado

Aceman

When I think of the old days in Colorado, I think of open sights or a 4 power weaver scope, one unit because you can hunt anywhere in the state with a valid license, and usually a two week combined season. I also think of either walking into the hunting are or if you were lucky you had a mule, horse, or an old army jeep. You carried a compass and a map and there were very few guides and you DIY. We had very few posted areas and a person could usually get permission to hunt by asking and closing the gate. The muzzleloaders were primitive and bow hunters used long and re-curve bows.

Today we have 4 wheelers long range rifles and scopes, inline muzzleloaders, compound bows, GPS, range finders, drones, and multiple units with preference points. The seasons now start in August and end in January. There are now folks that get finders fees for locating big bucks and elk, and you can also hunt in a fenced in area for a trophy with little effort. I wonder where we will be in the next 50 years? Just the ramblings of a 76 year old hunter.

When I think of the old days in Colorado, I think of open sights or a 4 power weaver scope, one unit because you can hunt anywhere in the state with a valid license, and usually a two week combined season. I also think of either walking into the hunting are or if you were lucky you had a mule, horse, or an old army jeep. You carried a compass and a map and there were very few guides and you DIY. We had very few posted areas and a person could usually get permission to hunt by asking and closing the gate. The muzzleloaders were primitive and bow hunters used long and re-curve bows.

Today we have 4 wheelers long range rifles and scopes, inline muzzleloaders, compound bows, GPS, range finders, drones, and multiple units with preference points. The seasons now start in August and end in January. There are now folks that get finders fees for locating big bucks and elk, and you can also hunt in a fenced in area for a trophy with little effort. I wonder where we will be in the next 50 years? Just the ramblings of a 76 year old hunter.
There is also the Internet to get ramblings out to the masses :D

Colorado has lots of elk ,but the units I have rifle hunted in has lots of hunting pressure.I only hunt archery or black powder these days and have a great time !

The times have changed, but I still hunt the old way. I still have hunting areas that have no hunters too. I might see one hunter now and then, and he'll be an old guy like me who's been hunting the area as long as I have. (50's) We smile at each other, and go our separate ways. Both of us knowing we're closing in our last hunts.

I remember "the good old days" here in Nevada. The late 60's-early 70's. You would go to the bait store on the way out of town and buy a deer tag, either sex. You could hunt anywhere in the state. The areas close to big cities like Vegas and Reno were overrun with hunters. Also because tags were unlimited you would be hard pressed to see ANY deer in a week because there weren't any. As for elk they were pretty much non-existent in those days.
I for one would not want to go back to the "good old days".

The times have changed, but I still hunt the old way. I still have hunting areas that have no hunters too. I might see one hunter now and then, and he'll be an old guy like me who's been hunting the area as long as I have. (50's) We smile at each other, and go our separate ways. Both of us knowing we're closing in our last hunts.
Gee. That sounds like it's from a book or something. mtmuley

I entertained the thought of writing a book on still hunting, but I don't think there's enough interest, and I can't write for beans anyway.

I'm a retired truck driver. Who am I to write a book?

However, thanks for the comment.

I entertained the thought of writing a book on still hunting, but I don't think there's enough interest, and I can't write for beans anyway.

I'm a retired truck driver. Who am I to write a book?

However, thanks for the comment.
I think I may have 'crossed paths' with you on another forum. Do you have a red Jeep and a Boxer?

First time I hunted Colorado was 27 years ago and a lot has changed for sure.There were tons of elk and deer then where I went and deer tags were otc.I didn't see a hunter in the woods then either;only at trailheads parking areas.The amount of hunting pressure there now is incredible in comparison and I'd say that's TV and internets fault

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back