The new Winchester 6.8 Westerner

Well the 270wsm ( one of my fav) is better than the 270 and the .27 Nosler is better than them all. Let’s see how it does.

I think it’ll give folks something to argue about, debating why it’s better or worse than existing cartridges. In reality, it’s just another tool that will, in all likelihood, will do pretty much the same things many other cartridges already do. For some, it’ll be perfect and others it’ll give them something to gnash their teeth about.
I believe you are correct. I may be in the minority here, but most hunters I come into contact with never shoot past 300yds, + or - a few yards. Most harvest game at 150yds or less, this may be due to the fact that I live on the east coast, but quite a few western hunters I've befriended, have the same answers, so your standard big game cartridge should be more than sufficient for the task. But the trend now is to shoot long range, (500yds or more), and this new cartridge and the 27 Nosler may be the "270" of the long range group, especially since both are calling for a 1:8 or 1:8.5 twist barrel using heavier bullets. So we'll see how this plays out.

Been looking at the 6.8 Western. Seems like a cool cartridge. Seems like it causes some stress haha not sure why a new cartridge option is a bad thing

I still love my 270 Weatherby. If I ever want to rebarrel it, I might go with a 1/8.0 twist, maybe. I use 140 gr Failsafe bullets @3300 fps. It's worked well for antelope, deer both muley and whitetail, and sheep. It shoots 160 gr Nosler partitions @3100 fps. Maybe a heavier Hammer 170-175 gr might be fun to fool with with a 1/8.0 twist. GJ

I’m pretty excited to see how people like it. I also like to see people talk s**t, and every time a cartridge comes out, so do all the geniuses. This is what capitalism and progress is all about, making, marketing, selling, and eventually killing products. My .264 Win Mag is identical to about 6 different modern cartridges.......

In my opinion, this caliber will be popular, not as much as the CM, but I think it will gain a strong following in the western hunting crowds.

Do we need it? Nope. But you can say that about hundreds of cartridges, and knives, binoculars, clothing, vehicles, drinks, snacks, boots.........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back