Caribou Gear

The mysterious case of the missing 30/06 ammunition.

My walmart had federal bluebox 150s for $29 but its only 06 ammo they have. Seems like 7rm and 30-06 are least in stock ammo locally just about everything else is avaliable.

Just buy it online!

Ammoseek and Ammobuy are both websites that act as aggregators of what legitimate businesses have in stock. Punch 30-06 into one of them and you might be surprised at how much is out there.
Great example of this stupid inventory trick… if I live in Indianapolis, I can pick up 4 boxes today 😂 also hate that it says meat eater, but it’s the 180 grain copper my rifle loves most

6BACE240-B56A-43A5-9F19-90FB15AC6B7B.jpeg

rwc1010 - Same here in Cheyenne. Best source has been the local shops (Rocky Mountain & Frontier) in town. Can occasionally find the odd box of 06 in Jax or Murdochs. Sportsmans hasn't had any in while.

Here...I just looked up 165 grain for 30-06.

You can get less expensive as well...I just went for the “good stuff”

It costs $10 for shipping but you get what you want.

Or you can keep searching and praying that the rest of us with 30-06’s don’t buy the ammo before you get some.

😊

Attachments

• DCE6054E-038F-4E72-8464-63CAFA9A3A5D.png
    DCE6054E-038F-4E72-8464-63CAFA9A3A5D.png
    642.8 KB · Views: 12
Supply of factory 30-06 seems to be getting better but still tough. Anything in 165 gr is very rare. I suggest reloading. Seems to be a fair amount of 4350 powder and Hornady cup and core bullets available. Primers are tough to find but improving.
Unless you load 178gr or 165/168gr partitions. They are impossible to find. Especially Hornady. Ive watched for 178gr eld x for over a year now and none except one box that our local gun range has that everyone refuses to buy because the box of 100 is over $80 which is nearly 3 times what it "normally" sells for. If i run out (get less than 500) then ill go get it but until then I am not paying nearly $1 a bullet to load.

Great example of this stupid inventory trick… if I live in Indianapolis, I can pick up 4 boxes today 😂 also hate that it says meat eater, but it’s the 180 grain copper my rifle loves most

View attachment 232612
I live just outside Indianapolis. I could get them for you. I have been wanting to go to that store anyways

@rwc101 my hypothesis, vendors provide all stores/ vendors with the same amount of various calibers but the popularity of those calibers in various markets causes wonky availability.

For instance, you can't find .270, .243, or 6.5 around me... but there is a ton of .300wm 7mm rem, basically all mags.

Meanwhile went into a couple places in Anchorage, very little if any .300 win ammo... tons of .270.

To this end I think the adage about getting a standard caliber for ammo availability is BS... you want to walk into a store in NA from 2019-2022 and have a good chance at finding a box of factory in stock? 35 Whelen, .264 win mag, any Weatherby cartridge.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know I could order some. Just can't quite process how the shelves are now full of .308, 300 Win Mag, 7mm Mag, Creedmoors but no 30-06.

I’ll remove my tinfoil hat for a moment and explain it to you sheeple.

It’s all part of a vast conspiracy conducted by the shadowy Big Creedmor Conglomerate & Co. to force everyone into shooting cartridges invented less than 100 years ago.

Avoid fluoridated water and stock up on all the 30-06 you can find, while there’s still time.

my only hunting rifle is a 30-06

I have been stressed about having enough ammo for this fall since finishing up last hunting season. Luckily one of my friends parents in co springs has a huge stash and pulled out some 165 grain for me.

I honestly have a lot of 30-06 ammo, but I don’t have enough of anyone one weight to re sight in and feel like ive got enough left for a season.

Super annoying
That’s me, half and quarter boxes of everything I’ve used over the last 40 years. I broke down and bought expensive Buffalo Bore ammo online to have enough for 3 years.

I’ll remove my tinfoil hat for a moment and explain it to you sheeple.

It’s all part of a vast conspiracy conducted by the shadowy Big Creedmor Conglomerate & Co. to force everyone into shooting cartridges invented less than 100 years ago.

Avoid fluoridated water and stock up on all the 30-06 you can find, while there’s still time.
Oh that’s the story. Those creedmoor folks are wildly outta control.

Though I wouldn’t mind a 300 PRC. It just sounds so sexy.

Just buy it online!

Ammoseek and Ammobuy are both websites that act as aggregators of what legitimate businesses have in stock. Punch 30-06 into one of them and you might be surprised at how much is out there.
When you know what your gun wants to eat, you can buy years worth of inventory, so a bulk buy via an aggregator link makes more sense. Good luck!

It’s starting to show back up on shelves here in NC but not really the good stuff. Mostly Core Lokts and Power Point. Haven’t really seen copper stuff or bonded stuff in a while.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back