The mysterious case of the missing 30/06 ammunition.

R

rwc101

I inherited a 30/06 this year, and it's going to be my backup elk rifle. I have noticed the sparsity of ammunition available for America's favorite cartridge at local stores for a while now.. 308? Loads. 300WSM? Enough. 30/06? Slim to none.

I'm curious if this is this a local affliction or something seen around the country.

my only hunting rifle is a 30-06

I have been stressed about having enough ammo for this fall since finishing up last hunting season. Luckily one of my friends parents in co springs has a huge stash and pulled out some 165 grain for me.

I honestly have a lot of 30-06 ammo, but I don’t have enough of anyone one weight to re sight in and feel like ive got enough left for a season.

Super annoying

Supply of factory 30-06 seems to be getting better but still tough. Anything in 165 gr is very rare. I suggest reloading. Seems to be a fair amount of 4350 powder and Hornady cup and core bullets available. Primers are tough to find but improving.

Supply of factory 30-06 seems to be getting better but still tough. Anything in 165 gr is very rare. I suggest reloading. Seems to be a fair amount of 4350 powder and Hornady cup and core bullets available. Primers are tough to find but improving.

Yeah, I reload for two cartridges but was hoping to keep it that way with the 06. Have half a box of core-loks that pattern well with the rifle but nothing else.

Yep. Seems less and less common over the last 5 years or so. Common enough to find the factory hunting loads I like online. Garand safe loads are about it in stores.

It been strange indeed, but does seem to be getting better. Barnes seems to be out there. I’ve got two boxes of their 168g the way. Also scored some Federal blue box in 180g for just over $25ea at Natchez recently.

Not much happening on the actual shelves around town though.

Been seeing quite a bit of ‘06 ammo here around Bozeman while I’ve been looking for 7mm-08 ammo, which is non-existent.

I’ve been able to find several different options in Cabela’s the past several times I stopped in.

I have seen quite a bit of 30-06 ammo available in the southeast. Sportsman's warehouse had a lot of 300 WSM ammo also. I am glad I reload.

Lately it seems that most mfg are focused on 223/5.56, 308, and new boutique cartridges, and then sprinkling in the staples of 270, 7-08, 30-06, etc on limited runs. 30-30 has been super hard to find, along with several others.

I inherited a 30/06 this year, and it's going to be my backup elk rifle. I have noticed the sparsity of ammunition available for America's favorite cartridge at local stores for a while now.. 308? Loads. 300WSM? Enough. 30/06? Slim to none.

I'm curious if this is this a local affliction or something seen around the country.
Was in Cabelas in NVA last week had several brands available on the shelf.

It's pretty surprising to me. I thought that was one of the perks to 3006, was that you'd always be able to find it.

Been having the same problem, and getting a little stressed about my upcoming fall hunts. My preferred ammo is non existent here out west, but seems available in Sportmans stores east of Chicago… starting to think I may put a help wanted ad out on Hunt talk to see if someone can ship it to me 😂

Funny enough everyone told me to get something like a 30-06 because it would be so readily available.

Been having the same problem, and getting a little stressed about my upcoming fall hunts. My preferred ammo is non existent here out west, but seems available in Sportmans stores east of Chicago… starting to think I may put a help wanted ad out on Hunt talk to see if someone can ship it to me 😂

Funny enough everyone told me to get something like a 30-06 because it would be so readily available.

Just buy it online!

Ammoseek and Ammobuy are both websites that act as aggregators of what legitimate businesses have in stock. Punch 30-06 into one of them and you might be surprised at how much is out there.

Just buy it online!

Ammoseek and Ammobuy are both websites that act as aggregators of what legitimate businesses have in stock. Punch 30-06 into one of them and you might be surprised at how much is out there.
Been trying to find it online. But Sportmans - for example - has two classifications of inventory, for local sale and in a distribution center. So while they have like 50 of what I want… it’s all marked for local sale only. So in stock, but only if you’re in that store. So ammo seek can tell me it’s available all day, but really it’s not. Which sucks ha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back