Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

The Lucky Charm

Perfection. Thanks for that write up and the pictures.

Things I thought about while reading your story:

-Is there really country with mule deer in it that have mule deer in it you can't find? I'm skeptical of that. Were you at least seeing sign?
-Call it lemons out of lemonade, silver linings, whatever. Had you shot a high country giant with your buddies you'd have missed out on that moment with your daughter. Post 11 is basically the foundation and core of hunting and life and really does bring a smile to my face.
-3 days off a year? That's tough.
-Incredible country. Just beautiful.
-I see you are wearing a Garmin Instinct. What do you think of it?

Perfection. Thanks for that write up and the pictures.

Things I thought about while reading your story:

-Is there really country with mule deer in it that have mule deer in it you can't find? I'm skeptical of that. Were you at least seeing sign?
-Call it lemons out of lemonade, silver linings, whatever. Had you shot a high country giant with your buddies you'd have missed out on that moment with your daughter. Post 11 is basically the foundation and core of hunting and life and really does bring a smile to my face.
-3 days off a year? That's tough.
-Incredible country. Just beautiful.
-I see you are wearing a Garmin Instinct. What do you think of it?
Thanks man. Answers to your questions:

* We saw lots of sign—it had rained the week before the hunt and there were tons of tracks since then, but I think most of those tracks were made at night. Eight does and no bucks. And we were LOOKING. We did bump deer that we never saw while hiking through the timber.

* Yeah. It’s really hard to explain why unexpectedly sharing that moment with my kids means so much to me. I think it has something to do with knowing and being known. I showed her something that is incredibly personal and important to me, and she in turn showed me a part of who she is that I didn’t know before. We’re closer because of it. What a gift.

* Three personal days of my choosing. Plus summer break, winter break, spring break, thanksgiving break…

* Garmin Instinct—it tells time fine. That’s about all I can say for it. Ha.

What a great experience! I have found the same; spending time with my family in the outdoors is priceless. Your friend is right, you can't take it with you. The best thing is developing those relationships with your loved ones. Well done!

* Yeah. It’s really hard to explain why unexpectedly sharing that moment with my kids means so much to me. I think it has something to do with knowing and being known. I showed her something that is incredibly personal and important to me, and she in turn showed me a part of who she is that I didn’t know before. We’re closer because of it. What a gift.
One of the best explination of why sharing this experience with your kids is so important. Awesome job, rtraverdavis. Dad of the year award worthy for sure.

Love it. I'm glad you wrote this up.

We had some discussion at elk camp last year and I said something along the lines of "hunting for me is more about the places and the people at this time in my life". A younger me would have thought that was absolutely absurd, but it's the truth of it now. Being in these amazing high country areas is always glorious, but being anywhere out in the woods with a few amazing people can be just as good.

You should frame the photo of the two of you to hang under the euro.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back