The Lady-Killers...

1_pointer

Life, work, and family being what they are, I haven't been able to put in or do a whole lot of big game hunting the past year+. So, when I drew a doe pronghorn tag for an area I am very familiar with here in UT, Beings that it was to be a pretty easy hunt, I decided to pack along the wife and my 2.5yo son. Needless to say everything worked out... :D

I drove up early in the morning to get a bit of hunting in before the wife and kid met me about 10:30am. Beings that it was the opener, there were people, trucks, and ATV's everywhere! Though I could have waxed a couple of small bucks, no does offered themselves up before meeting up with the family. After getting camp set up and lunch ate, we headed out for a drive as Jr. was taking a nap. We spotted a small group (~25animals) heading to water from the highway, drove past and heading up a two track to give them a go. I get the truck parked and all my gear ready and head towards the hill that should put me right above them. Once I'm about 200yds from the truck, two does (fawns) stand up from their beds that I hadn't seen. They just kept looking at me as I walked directly at them. Once I got within my self imposed range I knelt and got the rifle up on the sticks only to hear, HONK, HONK coming from my truck behind me. I figure it's my wife signalling me to keep moving as we didn't want Jr. to see the animal being shot. So, I get up and keep moseying towards them until both them and I are behind a small rise, out of sight from the truck. I close to about 175yds, set up on the sticks and let one fly. Both does took off over the hill. Hmmm...didn't really notice that the one I'd shot at showed any signs of being hit. I climb to the hill and see a lone doe across the basin from my and one laying about 20yds from where they were when I shot! I hit the doe a bit farther back than I'd like, but still caught both lungs and the little bullet passed completely through.

I walked back towards the road to signal my wife to bring the truck up. Once I meet up with the truck, Jr. gets out saying, "Good job, Dad, good job!". It was then I discovered that the honking wasn't my wife signalling me, but Jr. playing round with the steering wheel! Losing my father last year, makes me really appreciate these moments and it made for a very good weekend.

The 'trophy' shots!
DoePronghornHuntnearWoodruffUtah3.jpg

DoePronghornHuntnearWoodruffUtah1.jpg

DoePronghornHuntnearWoodruffUtah2.jpg

Very cool pics and great time spent with the family. Congratulations!

Throw that thing on a spit and I'll bring the beer, should be some good eats for sure.
Cool story and hunt.

Thanks fellas! It was a good weekend. Jr. is still walking around saying, "Dad shoot antelope!"... :D

Tbone, that is my 223AI. A 55gr Rem PSP was more than enough.

Man, just the other day you were working at a hotel on the North side of Indy. Now you got a little one. Soon you will have your own herd like Moosie.

Good looking boy congrats.

Congrats, I'm sure these are pics you'll both treasure in the future.

Thanks folks, it was a good trip.

Jason- Just for the record, I haven't worked in Indy for over 8 years... Where does the time go? And where've you been? Heading back to ID for bears again?

Great work Tyler. Good pics with the next generation. Your dad would be very proud.

Thanks folks, it was a good trip.

Jason- Just for the record, I haven't worked in Indy for over 8 years... Where does the time go? And where've you been? Heading back to ID for bears again?

I dont know where it goes.:confused:

I just dropped my oldest off at school and the 4 year old off at childcare.

Life was easier 8 years ago.

Wouldnt change it for the world.

I have killed 5 or so bears in the selway. I would like to go back one more time. Might wait untill my oldest is 8 and take him.

Gotta love the kid honking the horn while you try to close and shoot! Looks like lots of fun. I see you downsized your lope rifle from last year.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back