The Great North

Midwestwhitetail

So my sister is planning to get married towards the end of August of 2021. She has a venue secured just outside of Glacier National Park. Glacier has been on my bucket list and I am finally gonna get to cross it off. Hopefully as well as yellowstone on my way to or from. For the people that live close by or the ones that have traveled to Glacier, I was curious the things that I need to do/see while I am there. Any info would be greatly appreciated. There are tons of articles on the Google but I would much rather have some good info from people more like minded as me.
Thanks

Beautiful area!!! We hiked into Iceberg Lake. The ice was just breaking up in late July!! We saw a few moose and a bear. After the hike we went to Cameron Lake and watched a huge moose feed in the lake. You will see goats at Logan Pass. Make sure you have your gas tank topped off every morning so you can drive and not worry about finding gas. If you get to Yellowstone, there will be more people, but if you get off the road 1/2 mile, you will not see people.

Beautiful area!!! We hiked into Iceberg Lake. The ice was just breaking up in late July!! We saw a few moose and a bear. After the hike we went to Cameron Lake and watched a huge moose feed in the lake. You will see goats at Logan Pass. Make sure you have your gas tank topped off every morning so you can drive and not worry about finding gas. If you get to Yellowstone, there will be more people, but if you get off the road 1/2 mile, you will not see people.
Ya I am very excited to get some hiking in and see some country that is new to me. The wife may not be able to get me back in the truck to go home when the trip is over.

Mt. Brown fire lookout if you’re looking for an intense day hike. In my opinion, a serious leg burner but a fantastic hike. Lots of switchbacks and probably not for the faint of heart but an awesome hike and the views are well worth the effort. Also, great chance you’ll see some goats as you get toward the top.

I might be jaded, but YNP is the most over hyped place. Now with that being said, there are some cool thing around YNP. Chief Joseph Hwy too Cooke city, Beartooth Hwy, Cody is a cool town, Buffalo Bill Cody museum, Cody rodeo. Hope this helps

Mt. Brown fire lookout if you’re looking for an intense day hike. In my opinion, a serious leg burner but a fantastic hike. Lots of switchbacks and probably not for the faint of heart but an awesome hike and the views are well worth the effort. Also, great chance you’ll see some goats as you get toward the top.
I will have to look into that one. Haven't heard of it. I am sure any hike I do will kick my butt. Thanks for the info.

I might be jaded, but YNP is the most over hyped place. Now with that being said, there are some cool thing around YNP. Chief Joseph Hwy too Cooke city, Beartooth Hwy, Cody is a cool town, Buffalo Bill Cody museum, Cody rodeo. Hope this helps
I feel like there will be to many tourist for me. I have noticed as I have done a very small amount of traveling I dont usually enjoy the tourist destinations as much as what more of the locals enjoy. That could be to me not being a real big fan of crowds of people. I would really like to see the Buffalo Bill Cody museum though. I appreciate the info.

Good for you (and your sister)! I know more about Glacier than Yellowstone, though don't pretend to be an expert in either. You're going at a great time of year for weather. Typically, (barring fires), that is a pretty dry season and hopefully you'll have clear skies. Just driving Going-to-the-sun road, will be well worth the price of admission. If you want to do some quick hikes, Avalanche Lake is popular and easy, as is Hidden Lake (park at Logan pass). You'll have a better chance of seeing wildlife on Hidden Lake trail. Goats are not uncommon). If only time for one short hike, I'd give Hidden Lake the nod. If you're looking for a longer hike, the Highline trail is really cool. You can go to to Granite Peak Chalet where "Night of the Grizzlies" occurred. That's a very beautiful hike, but would take most of the day. Tons of other as well, but those are some to consider.

Last edited:
Good for you (and your daughter)! I know more about Glacier than Yellowstone, though don't pretend to be an expert in either. You're going at a great time of year for weather. Typically, (barring fires), that is a pretty dry season and hopefully you'll have clear skies. Just driving Going-to-the-sun road, will be well worth the price of admission. If you want to do some quick hikes, Avalanche Lake is popular and easy, as is Hidden Lake (park at Logan pass). You'll have a better chance of seeing wildlife on Hidden Lake trail. Goats are not uncommon). If only time for one short hike, I'd give Hidden Lake the nod. If you're looking for a longer hike, the Highline trail is really cool. You can go to to Granite Peak Chalet where "Night of the Grizzlies" occurred. That's a very beautiful hike, but would take most of the day. Tons of other as well, but those are some to consider.
I am unaware of what "Knight of the Grizzlies" is. Will be looking into that. I should have plenty of time. Hoping to have a couple weeks off work to make all the stops I want. Thanks for the info.

The northwest side of the park seems to be less crowded, but also has less parking. Polebridge is neat, bowman lake is beautiful. If the covid mess is over id definitely drive the going to the sun road and go see many glacier and two medicine. Glacier gets alot of visitors ,as do all national parks, so early mornings and late evenings are better for parking and such... but as mentioned you don't have to get too far from the road before the crowd thins out. You can fish in the park , and there's really some nice trout in some of lakes, as well as some huge pike on the east side. Lots to do and see in northwest MT.

If you want to see animals, Yellowstone is far superior. Glacier is heavily timbered in most areas, so I wouldn't expect to see elk, moose, deer, etc, although they live there. You'll likely see mountain goats in Glacier. Yellowstone is like the Serengheti, in the Hayden and Lamar valleys. Glacier is awe-inspiringly beautiful.

Good for you (and your sister)! I know more about Glacier than Yellowstone, though don't pretend to be an expert in either. You're going at a great time of year for weather. Typically, (barring fires), that is a pretty dry season and hopefully you'll have clear skies. Just driving Going-to-the-sun road, will be well worth the price of admission. If you want to do some quick hikes, Avalanche Lake is popular and easy, as is Hidden Lake (park at Logan pass). You'll have a better chance of seeing wildlife on Hidden Lake trail. Goats are not uncommon). If only time for one short hike, I'd give Hidden Lake the nod. If you're looking for a longer hike, the Highline trail is really cool. You can go to to Granite Peak Chalet where "Night of the Grizzlies" occurred. That's a very beautiful hike, but would take most of the day. Tons of other as well, but those are some to consider.
Or hike in to USFS Granite Cabin on the Middle Fork of the Flathead in the Great Bear Wilderness adjacent to the park. The Forest Service rents it. Check with the visitor center in Hungry Horse. It is about eight mile hike and fairly easy going, most through a cool forest with lots of springs. Fishing in the river is great but the creek IS CLOSED. Lots of elk, deer, and goats in there. Nice little private getaway for you and the wife. Very little bear activity and the few around are wild and no bother. I rebuilt the corral back in 1977. Wonder if it's still there.

Glacier is one of my favorite places on earth. The Many Glacier area is my favorite part of the park. There are more hiking options there than will have time to do.

I suspect your sister has reserved something on the west side of the park, there is much more development on the west side. Many Glacier is on the east side. The east side is drier and more open, the west side is more heavily timbered.

If you are going to grab a hike or two while driving thru the park, Logan Pass as suggested above is a great option.
F1553376-802E-4DE5-8271-1E4F5185FA1C.jpeg

Above is Hidden Lake

Below is the view east from the Continental Divide at Swiftcurrent Pass

8F4934B9-A427-45BF-B032-6103E74977A3.jpeg

I can’t speak to Glacier (yet) but Yellowstone is cool in ways I didn’t suspect. The people suck, no doubt, but the geysers and hot pools were really stinking cool (pun intended)
If you’re already in Yellowstone and you’ve got the time, hit Grand Teton, even if you just drive through it. The views are mesmerizing. Took my breath away the same way Yosemite did and the first time I saw the Badlands. And there will be fewer people in Grand Teton

I really appreciate all the info. I have alot of planning to do between now and then so I can make the best of it. I wanna make sure to see all we can while there.

Wife and I alternate YNP and GNP every summer. I'll be in GNP I July. Theres so much more to see and do if you're willing to get off the pavement. I'd recommend you read some of Grinnell's biographies to get some historical context. You may want to visit some of the same places that inspired him. Also, a boat ride out of Many Glacier is worth it for the views. The Issac Walton Inn has great food and history. Take a trip through the Blackfoot Reservation.

I can’t speak to Glacier (yet) but Yellowstone is cool in ways I didn’t suspect. The people suck, no doubt, but the geysers and hot pools were really stinking cool (pun intended)
If you’re already in Yellowstone and you’ve got the time, hit Grand Teton, even if you just drive through it. The views are mesmerizing. Took my breath away the same way Yosemite did and the first time I saw the Badlands. And there will be fewer people in Grand Teton
Great point. Definitely go to see the Tetons while you're out there. Jackson is a wonderful town, and there are affordable lodging options in town. Also agree, you should drive the Beartooth highway (Hwy 212) into or out of Yellowstone on your way too or from.

I am hoping to do some scouting from the road for a future hunt. Maybe try to get a better idea what unit I would like to spend some time in.

I don't know how long you are going to be out here, but YNP and Glacier are a pretty good day's driving from each other. Teton National Park is a day trip to and from YNP,, at least.

It is easy to spread yourself too thin.

The east side of Glacier borders the Blackfoot Reservation. That has kept that side largely undeveloped. The view of the mountains from the road from Browning up to Duck Lake and Babb is nothing short of spectacular.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back