The great chukar quandary

Irrelevant

So help me out. I have found a couple of places just out of town here... right next to town honestly, that holds a PILE of chukars. I can kill a chukar pretty much any day I want without having to "find" them. But I have a wanderlust and adventure streak that likes to go find new places. I'm debating looking at some hard to access spots, maybe an out of town trip or two with the remaining season. Am I crazy to leave great chukars to find probably mediocre chukars?

Depends on what your goals are... I’d keep a mix going, plus helps keep your dog sharp as well (and not frustrated) when you know you can get em on the birds. Exploring is half the fun👍🏻

We hunt different spots everyday, don't like to burn a place out . Exploring is always fun
^^^This^^^
There is a spot about 20 minutes away from where we live. Two guys I know went there several time a week last season and pretty much wiped out the chukar population there. :(

^^^This^^^
There is a spot about 20 minutes away from where we live. Two guys I know went there several time a week last season and pretty much wiped out the chukar population there. :(
This is a spot that a buddy and I have tried to wipe out. It's not possible. It's simply too steep, escape cover everywhere with enough birds that I simply don't think you could ever reduce it at the population level.

But, I'm taking the general advice and we're going to put another buddy's duck boat to use and try a little adventure down river.

This is a spot that a buddy and I have tried to wipe out. It's not possible. It's simply too steep, escape cover everywhere with enough birds that I simply don't think you could ever reduce it at the population level.

But, I'm taking the general advice and we're going to put another buddy's duck boat to use and try a little adventure down river.
I think you’ll do well.

^^^This^^^
THATS SAD,it is sport, it is for our dogs and children. Low lifes will always be low lifes. TO BAD

When I first started hunting chukars after moving to Nevada, I figured out it wasn't Montana and what I was used to. I'm pretty sure my wife had suspicious thoughts as I came home empty handed for a couple years. Then I figured it out and had a blast. Miss it. mtmuley

I think that country makes a good dog a whole lot more important than the other areas you hunt. Those are unique in that aspect.

I just got coffee, corn nuts and a tank of gas on my way to explore new country.

I don't know your area.
I had some excellent chuckar hotspots go to zero when I lived in Idaho.
One was a local hot spot at higher elevation...a big snow winter wiped out that population.
The other was some hotspots on the Clearwater and upper Salmon drainage...
thick Star Thistle invasions ruined those areas.

Always nice to be flexible and have plan A,B,C and explore new areas.
Enjoy your chuckar hotspots!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back