The Dangers of Ice Fishing Poles

WestKyHunt

Went fishing with my cousin yesterday, when our day was cut short by a treble hook embedded in his arm.
For whatever reason he has a ice fishing pole (no ice fishing to be done in KY). While casting the bell flipped back over, and due to the short length of the pole, his rooster tail hit his arm and then dug into the skin.
Luckily only one made it past the barb.20210329_161158.jpgThanks to a meateater article I read a year or so ago, I knew not to yank the hook out the way it went in.
Pushed it through the other side and nipped it off with my needle nose pliers. 20210329_161915.jpg Now we both have a first aid kit in our tackle bags. The ice fishing pole has been relegated to life in his shed

Did that in NZ with a rapala, chasing big trout! changing lure and somehow went into my thumb. Had to push it through and cut it off to get it out.

I didn't know that about the short poles.

If you don't have wire cutters another way to do it is to use a loop of line and back it out. In fact, it is probably preferred in any case. The key is to push the eye down and give the line a jerk to back it out. You won't even feel it.

I didn't know that about the short poles.

If you don't have wire cutters another way to do it is to use a loop of line and back it out. In fact, it is probably preferred in any case. The key is to push the eye down and give the line a jerk to back it out. You won't even feel it.

I'm just gonna add that my friends who are doctors recommend this way, too. I'm not sure if that was just so I'd let them yank a barbed treble hook out of my idiot self, or if it's the actual truth.

Either way, hook is out.

A few years back I got a Panther Martin in my left eyeball. 2 hours of surgery to remove it.
There isn't an emoji representative of what I'm feeling after reading that.

This is the reason I always try to wear sunglasses while fishing.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back