The ambiguity of theft and failure of enforcement

I knew that without the license plate number the police would have no ability to identify the person. That’s why I tried to find him. He did not see my truck at my house so I also knew that he would not know it was me. When moving I stayed just close enough to maintain a visual to relay to dispatch on the phone except when they asked for the license plate. Pls explain the “top level stupid.” I have often resembled this remark, but I do not think so in this case.
Because following the guy is way more likely to lead to a confrontation than it is to you somehow getting the police to scramble and intercept someone on suspicion of petty theft. And should that confrontation happen, you risk losing life and limb or your freedom to walk around. All over some stuff.

Yeah I'm sure you played it really cool and there's no way he could've known you were following him. But once you've started down the road of "I'm going to pursue this guy", it way too quickly leads to "I'm going to go give that guy a piece of my mind and put him in his place."

Also, my goodness I thought the gun forums I've been a part of were terrible at the armchair lawyer game. Some of yall would put them to shame.

These are interesting situations in my mind because we as a society need to be able to enforce laws, but we area also at a point where in many cases if you steal, speed or break traffic laws, , cut off catalytic converters, etc and just run nobody is going to pursue you for the reasons stated in the thread. Police don't care and/or have other issues to deal with, DA can't get convictions, understaffed, people don't want to get shot, dangerous traffic for a pursuit, etc.

Remember Theat, Sherriff's positions are part of the democratic process. You and your neighbors get to vote on your local sheriff. Find a LE officer that is willing to do the work and represent his or her people better and then get all of your friends and neighbors to rally behind that person and get a new sheriff in town. If you have had the same lack of response for many years my guess is you have had the same sheriff, and a lazy leader makes lazy followers.

That is messed up. Have you reminded the Sheriff he holds an elected position?

Those incidents happened under two different sheriffs. The current sheriff is not running in this years election. Had 9 guys running for the office in the primary, with many holding some pretty extreme positions of not enforcing federal or state laws that they didn't agree with. This county has a fairly large anti-government population with an increasing white supremacist/militia flair. We (not me) for some crazy reason kept electing Jennifer Fielder and now her husband to the state legislature and they have invited the Bundys over for some campaign speeches in the past. I don't really associate much with many of the locals even though I have lived here for about 20 years and my family has been in the county for over 100. I'd get the hell out, but I have family here and love the mountains and rivers in this part of the state. I don't know a lot about the two guys that will be competing for the position in this falls election, but at least one of the them seems like a decent candidate. I can only hope that he takes the position seriously.

You would be surprised at the backing I would get for my green ass putting a drunk boater in cuffs.
Usually none ,but it would often escalate into multiple arrests in the peanut galleries.

I got to where I just called the SO and let them deal with it. They loved it when the family men got mouthy and had W&W and or stolen items. Even better when the whole group had warrants.

My last 2 incidents with reporting my truck broken into ended with me having no faith in that LEO entity. That last one almost got me in the slammer. I was so close to poking the dick in the chest...and breaking bad.

Whole lotta not backing the blue in this thread.
Not by me ! Instead of defunding, we should increase spending on both equipment and internal affairs. If one of the blue break the law, they need to be held accountable, just like all other criminals.

But support for those who risk their lives every day when they respond to a 911 call, should be supported--AND--we need D.A.'s and Judges who put those who endanger society in prison. If you can't do the time, dont do the crime ! I support all first responders, including our border agents. Anybody who ever owned a horse knew those agents were not whipping those who entered the U.S. illegally, but they ( agents ) were used for political fodder, for doing their job, legally.

Salmonchaser, Hank4Elk, --all first responders here on the forum. Thank you !

Remember Theat, Sherriff's positions are part of the democratic process. You and your neighbors get to vote on your local sheriff. Find a LE officer that is willing to do the work and represent his or her people better and then get all of your friends and neighbors to rally behind that person and get a new sheriff in town. If you have had the same lack of response for many years my guess is you have had the same sheriff, and a lazy leader makes lazy followers.
This probably would work anywhere other than NW Montana.

I have several LE friends. Most cops are honorable and deserve respect. However with all the civil movements in the last few years it shouldn’t be a surprise that cops are less willing to engage criminals. The average cop nowadays is a lot different than they used to be. Remember when you had to be at least 6’ to be a cop? They lowered so many requirements in order to be politically correct so you end up with some weak cops. LE used to be generally pro gun and many were gun enthusiasts. Nowadays most cops only shoot the minimum requirement every year. Many don’t like firearms. You’ve all seen videos of cops emptying their magazines from 12’ and not hitting the target. I feel bad for the dedicated fearless cops who would do anything to serve and protect. There are still plenty of them out there.

This probably would work anywhere other than NW Montana.

I'm curious why? Because sheriff would make your life miserable for your efforts? Or because any other sheriff is going to have a hell of a time dealin with the meth heads and "militia" with the resources given?

Those incidents happened under two different sheriffs. The current sheriff is not running in this years election. Had 9 guys running for the office in the primary, with many holding some pretty extreme positions of not enforcing federal or state laws that they didn't agree with. This county has a fairly large anti-government population with an increasing white supremacist/militia flair. We (not me) for some crazy reason kept electing Jennifer Fielder and now her husband to the state legislature and they have invited the Bundys over for some campaign speeches in the past. I don't really associate much with many of the locals even though I have lived here for about 20 years and my family has been in the county for over 100. I'd get the hell out, but I have family here and love the mountains and rivers in this part of the state. I don't know a lot about the two guys that will be competing for the position in this falls election, but at least one of the them seems like a decent candidate. I can only hope that he takes the position seriously.
That is just stupid. You can be extremist and still do the basics right? Like every agrees stealing isn't okay? Drunk drivers should be pulled over. Those things aren't political at all.

I have several LE friends. Most cops are honorable and deserve respect. However with all the civil movements in the last few years it shouldn’t be a surprise that cops are less willing to engage criminals. The average cop nowadays is a lot different than they used to be. Remember when you had to be at least 6’ to be a cop? They lowered so many requirements in order to be politically correct so you end up with some weak cops. LE used to be generally pro gun and many were gun enthusiasts. Nowadays most cops only shoot the minimum requirement every year. Many don’t like firearms. You’ve all seen videos of cops emptying their magazines from 12’ and not hitting the target. I feel bad for the dedicated fearless cops who would do anything to serve and protect. There are still plenty of them out there.
I agree with you. One of my hunting buddies is retired from one of the departments encountered above. He was excellent police and an even better human being (I think the combination is what is missing these days more often than not). He got out for several reasons: 1) the job and department itself was becoming too political; 2) funds were starting to become drastically allocated towards militarizing the force (automatic weapons, fancy swat vehicles) and away from community policing/engagement and training in mental health crises, etc.), 3) the force was becoming a negative place to work with three main “types”: the lazy ones that want to sit side by side in parking lots and talk to one another all day, incompetent Barney Fifes, or tatted up bros that treat everyone as enemy combatants. The good ones leave due to bad leadership, poor pay, and little training, and this is what we’re left with.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back