The "100 Yard - One Shot Nickel Challenge"

huronmtns

Having a case of mid-summer boredom I thought I would go out and do some shooting. There was no one else shooting so it was pretty flexible and relaxing. I took some reloads that I had developed last year and wanted to see if they were still shooting decent in the warm 80 degree plus weather. I had originally developed the load at about 32 degrees F. I fired three shots down range at 100 yards to see if the group size had changed. Nope, it was still shooting just under an inch. I thought that this shooting session was going to get a little boring at this point so how could I liven it up a little bit. I started thinking of making this more challenging and used what I had done to make some rules to see if my hunting partners wanted to have some fun in the future.

Rules:
1. 100 yard distance
2. You get to fire up to 3 shots to get comfortable shooting and where you rifle point of impact is going to be.
3. Place a nickel on the target where you want to hit it. (I used two push pin tacks placed horizontally next to each other to form two contacts that the coin bridged and couldn't fall between while it held the coin perpendicular facing the shot)
4. Return to shooting position with "1" round of ammunition only to meet the "One Shot Nickel Challenge"
5. Fire the one shot.
6. Return to target to find the coin and see if you hit it to have met the challenge.

To me this kind of simulates a first shot at game and is the most important shot we get. I know this sounds kind of strange but it put me in the frame of mind that I get into when I am shooting at an animal with a rifle. It actually made shooting fun just for me and I can see how having friends around could make it even better. Try it, you might like it.

I fired my shot and hit the coin. It brought a smile to my face.
IMG_20200711_182553062_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200711_182604360_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
here i thought perpendicular might you were pinning the nickel so you had to hit the thin edge!

Aww hell thats nothing, guys around here on state land do the bowling ball challenge, the TV challenge, the old pallet challenge, the propane tank challenge.

I’ve even seen them do a telephone pole challenge that even got that section shut down to recreational shooting.

All kidding aside, nice shooting. Feels good to put a bullet right where you want it to go. Primal.

just sayin..........

""Defacement of Currency

Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Visit www.secretservice.gov for additional information. ""

Keep working on it, it's not dead center. :rolleyes:
I'm dreaming of the day when daytime temps in the 80's return. Around here that might not be until late Oct. 🦂😬

Last edited:
Depending on the orientation of the coin, looks like either one click of windage or elevation is in order! Good shooting.

just sayin..........

""Defacement of Currency

Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Interesting post. When I went digging deeper, the term "Fraudulent" was referenced at the beginning of the defacement section. I myself am not an attorney so I can't make this call for certain but I think the way it is worded is to not deface money to increase its value. Maybe vikingsguy can give us an interpretation on 18- 333. I mentioned ending up with a trophy not trying to spend the nickel again.

I've seen multiple pics of Buzz's bullet holes clustered closely around a dime that he missed every single time.

just sayin..........

""Defacement of Currency

Cabela's has a machine to press out pennies and put their logo on it. I never heard of them being told they can't or of them getting into legal trouble. People make jewelry out of coins quite a bit. I never heard of one person being prosecuted for that. 🤔

Keep working on it, it's not dead center. :rolleyes:
I'm dreaming of the day when daytime temps in the 80's return. Around here that might not be until late Sept. 🦂😬
i'm doing the opposite. it was 90+F when i went out this weekend. so decided i'll have to come back out later in September when it cools down, to do final re-zero. **i had to re-tighten action screws and side stabilizing screws end of last season before putting rifle away. so for this season need to re-adjust zero again.**
Ignoring the elevation drop, i was happy to see 4 shots group under 5cm (2") at 200m (219 yards). wind was blowing 6-7pmh so thats the drift to the right, as i was not trying to adjust for wind.

200m.jpg

Cabela's has a machine to press out pennies and put their logo on it. I never heard of them being told they can't or of them getting into legal trouble. People make jewelry out of coins quite a bit. I never heard of one person being prosecuted for that. 🤔
haha thats true, never thought of that. i just remember hearing people say about destruction of money, so thought this was a good time to Google it :)

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back