MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

That didn’t take long...

Condolences to the family. Its really unfortunate.

We had a hiker here in Waterton National park in south western Alberta apparently get stalked by a sow and a cub this past weekend. He "rolled his ankle" and needed a helicopter to rescue him. Solo hiking, with his bear spray in his back pack.

With travel still being frowned upon, I believe there will be more encounters as everyone is flocking to the hills.

The victim was out fishing and an experienced backcountry guide. Had bear spray along with all his experience and still was on the losing end of this. Really makes ya realize it could be any of us guys that it happens to no matter our experience. Stay safe and on your toes out there fellow hunt talkers.
I sense a bear spray / handgun debate coming.......

Let's not go there. The many, many threads on this forum debating the efficacy of bear spray versus firearm as a grizzly attack deterrent have covered the perspectives ad nauseum. Choose one or the other or both or nothing ... whatever "you think" works for you. Best to offer is just learn and be bear aware.
Oh, c'mon. we can at least debate it a little more

I was hoping it could be pivoted to reintroducing grizzlies to CO myself. Would really thin out the backcountry crowds.

Back