Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

That didn’t take long...

Article said it was a resident of West Yellowstone. Not sure how long-term of a resident, but a resident.
The Madison is in pretty good shape for fish catching over there, wonder if it was an angler?

Looks like he passed away and they found a Grizzly boar with a moose carcass close by:

The victim was out fishing and an experienced backcountry guide. Had bear spray along with all his experience and still was on the losing end of this. Really makes ya realize it could be any of us guys that it happens to no matter our experience. Stay safe and on your toes out there fellow hunt talkers.

. ..all you can do is your best and hope you're number isn't up.
Sounds like the Bob, Bridger-Teton, most of Alaska backcountry, etc.
Tons of green city dwellers moved/ing to ID, MT, WY out of this Covid mess. I sense an uptick in incidents incoming.
Hopefully those arriving parted their politics in the crap city/state they left and don't try to regulate the rest due to their own naivety.

Very unfortunate situation. Thoughts and prayers with his family and close friends.

I'll take it over the concrete jungle any day. From vehicle accidents to... well, when your number's up, it's punched. Odds seem to lean me towards the mountains.

Very unfortunate situation. Thoughts and prayers with his family and close friends.
I'll echo that. With that grizz boar recently emerging from hibernation, voraciously feeding on and defending a moose carcass, the campground closed so the area still really quiet this spring, and Mr. Mock likely with focus on fishing, it was the "perfect storm" scenario for a sudden bear attack. Although it did appear the safety tab on the bear spray was released, who knows how much time and opportunity Mock had to deploy the deterrent.
Very unfortunate for certain and for true.

Sad deal. From what I have read over the years those big boars dont mess around when they first come out of their den and find a kill. They are literally fighting/protecting it to preserve their life.

Nature is cruel and very real.

The victim was out fishing and an experienced backcountry guide. Had bear spray along with all his experience and still was on the losing end of this. Really makes ya realize it could be any of us guys that it happens to no matter our experience. Stay safe and on your toes out there fellow hunt talkers.
It certainly could be any of us. Only difference, were it me, is that there would be 15 pieces of 10mm brass scattered around my corpse. Or so I would like to think...

Dream on, Quickdraw! Remember the ol' file the front sight off advice?
"Or so I would like to think..." You forgot this part when you quoted me. I will continue to choose lead for my best defense against critters that intend to do me harm. And of course you are free to bring seasoning if that is your preference.

"Or so I would like to think..." You forgot this part when you quoted me. I will continue to choose lead for my best defense against critters that intend to do me harm. And of course you are free to bring seasoning if that is your preference.
Let's not go there. The many, many threads on this forum debating the efficacy of bear spray versus firearm as a grizzly attack deterrent have covered the perspectives ad nauseum. Choose one or the other or both or nothing ... whatever "you think" works for you. Best to offer is just learn and be bear aware.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back