Thank you GoHunt

Ttannahill14

Well woke up this morning to the best news ever that I was one of the monthly winners for their rifle giveaway. Well I hope so at least, I'm Travis T from Manhattan KS so unless there's another Travis T from Manhattan KS which in case I'll be ticked.

Good to know real people actually win these things.

I get to pick what caliber... decisions decisions???

that's awesome, congrats!! I was thinking the same thing, I was like do people really win these... then was like oh man I wonder if someone on hunttalk won.

Congrats! I was wondering the same thing concerning if people actually win these things. I guess my question has been answered. Good luck with your consideration. BTW, I like the 25-06 and 7x57.

Alright getting ready to send in my email tomorrow on which caliber I want.

Here is my thought process and a little bit about my hunting needs.

I currently have a CZ 550 in .270. Love this gun. It does everything I need it to here in the state of Kansas and was going to use it on my antelope hunt to Wyoming this fall. Also have a 243 that gets some use during late doe season in Kansas, its a fun gun that has been passed down the family, more of a sentimental thing because I like the 270 better but the 243 gets used. All these shots are under 200 yards, the way the deer hunting is on my ground if I can see the deer its usually under 200 yards. FYI when I say deer I mean whitetail.

I want a caliber that can handle an elk, yet not destroy an antelope, and be my new go to gun for my whitetail. I'll probably kill 10 deer to every 1 elk, and 4 antelope to every 1 elk. So basically I need a great white tail gun, a solid elk gun, and not destroy an antelope. Got dreams of a caribou and dall sheep which this caliber would also perform well i feel like. If this caliber checked every box except the antelope I would probably be okay with that, as I can always drop down to my trusty .270.

I'll prob never shoot a moose or a grizzly, and if I do I'll prob just buy a new gun since hunting those animals cost an arm and a leg anyways might as well fork over another grand. My uncle also owns the local gun shop 4 miles from my house, so I can pretty much borrow anything I need/want from him, but he's getting kinda old so on second thought he'll prob be dead by the time I get to shoot a moose or grizzly.

Another concern is we sometimes do some long range shooting just for fun. Nothing too crazy, out to 500 yards is usually all we do. I consider that long range. I'm confident to 300 on an animal, but target competitions to 500 is fun, the caliber would need to perform at that distance just cause beating my brothers in shooting is fun.

With that said I think I'm going to go with a 7mm Rem Mag. As you can tell I don't own a ton of rifles, I never needed anything other than a .270 with how I hunted. As I expend further west I feel like I may need something just a little bigger. I like to hang on to my guns, shoot them a ton, and get really comfortable with the weapon. This would be my new go to rifle for anything for antelope to elk.

Let me know your thoughts, opinions, and anecdotal evidence concerning anything I just said. Thanks guys.

Just wanted to say congrats again on winning last month's INSIDER giveaway. Thanks for all the support. Can't wait to hear how you do this fall. Please let me know if you ever need anything else.

Nothing wrong with 7mm Rem Mag. I like a 338 Win Mag but I think you will be quite happy with your choice. Let us know what you think after are shooting your new gun!

Wow that is really cool! A 280 Remington or .280 AI would sure be sweet. Nothing wrong with the 7mm Remington but I've never been a magnum fan and either of these are nipping on it's heels and are way cooler! :) Hard to go wrong with the classic 30-06 though either and if you wanted something a bit newer, the 300 WSM is a great cartridge that has a lot of pop without a lot of kick.. Oh the choices.

Thats a great caliber for anything, wouldn't quite need the punch on an antelope but anyway that's probably what I would go with if I won as well.

I would love to be in your shoes.They look like awesome rifles;congrats.I never win anything but its nice to know these things aren't set up

Finally got a scope thrown on the new x-bolt and sighted her in. Can't wait to fine tune her and get her on point.

Mainly just wanted to say thanks again to gohunt.com - i researched and planned my first Wyoming antelope hunt and drew the tag we applied for. I know for you guys out west that's not a huge deal but for us flat landers it's really complicated ha. I'm used to walking down to the sportsman store day before season so to have the confidence and research to draw the tag I wanted was a huge help. If you're not on gohunt yet I highly suggest it. Worth every penny.

Hopefully I'll be updating this post come October with a harvested antelope in the frame as well.

image.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back