PEAX Equipment

Texas members of BHA here?

lpcoutdoors

Just curious if that are any, or many members here who are members of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers and live in Texas? Active in the Texas BHA chapter in some way? Would like to be more active in some way? Thanks!

Just curious if that are any, or many members here who are members of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers and live in Texas? Active in the Texas BHA chapter in some way? Would like to be more active in some way? Thanks!
I used to be pretty involved in the Austin area, but that has waned in the last few years with kids. I also didn't see eye to eye with with some of the old leadership. There is new leadership now, and I am still in touch with a few guys on the board. Are you asking if we would like to be more active, or are you asking how you can be more active?

Hey, is this Cody? I can't tell for sure from that tiny picture! This is Mickey. I was just sending out a feeler out of curiosity. Here ya on the involvement and leadership turnover, kinda set us back. To your question, I sure would hope to help more folks get more active, especially those that have been in the past. I'd love to be more active too, that whole time thing we all deal with. If this is who I think it is, I've brought up a certain coastal kayak meetup a guy ran a few years back as a great example of things we could be doing! Take care man and thanks for the response!

I live in New Braunfels and would love to hear more about it. Not currently active nor am I very educated on the organization.

Hey, is this Cody? I can't tell for sure from that tiny picture! This is Mickey. I was just sending out a feeler out of curiosity. Here ya on the involvement and leadership turnover, kinda set us back. To your question, I sure would hope to help more folks get more active, especially those that have been in the past. I'd love to be more active too, that whole time thing we all deal with. If this is who I think it is, I've brought up a certain coastal kayak meetup a guy ran a few years back as a great example of things we could be doing! Take care man and thanks for the response!
Haha hey buddy! Yeah, it's me. The kids are getting more manageable, so I will probably be getting more involved again this year. I'd be happy to run a coast trip again! If you search the boards you can see where I was trying to recruit folks for that trip on here haha!

I live in New Braunfels and would love to hear more about it. Not currently active nor am I very educated on the organization.
Hey Big Bore, if you PM me your email, phone number or both (whatever you're comfortable with) I will make sure someone reaches out to you to get you educated and see if you'd like to get plugged in. Also, I know they will have an expo table at the Lazy L&L Campgrounds at Troutfest going on this weekend (Feb 19-20) if you plan on going to that.

Haha hey buddy! Yeah, it's me. The kids are getting more manageable, so I will probably be getting more involved again this year. I'd be happy to run a coast trip again! If you search the boards you can see where I was trying to recruit folks for that trip on here haha!
Hey, glad to hear the kids are doing well and look forward to seeing you at some BHA or other event soon!

Hey Big Bore, thanks for reaching out. Backcountry Hunters and Anglers is nationwide and you can check them out at www.backcountryhunters.org. BHA's primary focus is public land stewardship and access. As for the Texas chapter, we are sort of in a unique situation, Texas being well known for its limited public land.

The 1% of Texas publicly accessible is still quite a bit of land, with another 1% of Texas publicly owned and not accessible, so that would be something like, I'm not a mathmagician, but potentially doubling the access if that could ever be dreamed. But us Texans like to hunt and fish the mountain west too, so public access issues in those states and on a nationwide scale are very important.

In our Texas chapter, we have been mostly focused, from a policy standpoint, in establishing and solidifying good working relationships with TPWD and NGO partners; such as Coastal Conservation Association, Texas Wildlife Association, Texas Foundation for Conservation, just to name a few. This led to a win, for example, with taking a stand against a land sale for development that would have very likely caused pollution harm to Honey Creek State Natural Area, which ended up in the landowner choosing instead a sale/donation (not sure of the exact details) that put that land meant for development into state/public ownership for protection instead. And we like to pick up trash in public places. And we like to meet for beers!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back