Sitka Pre Season Savings

Teton Co WY Public land development

Irrelevant

1635949732813.png

Good on WGFD for taking a stand against the proposed development.

They need housing but not on critical habitat.

Jason Crowder already has my email, be sure to send him one as well.

The area certainly needs low income housing, but I don't see these areas offering that. The last thing that place needs is more multimillion dollar houses that restrict access and negatively impact wildlife habitat. Good on WYGF and the Land Trust for opposing development.

Upfront confession: I didn't read the article.

Recent observation/thought: There will soon be more pressure to develop public lands for things like affordable housing near ski resort towns that have limited private lands available. Housing is a huge problem in many mountain towns in CO, and it's only going to get worse.

A company wants to lease the land for 25 years to provide a “luxury camping experience.”

Recent observation/thought: There will soon be more pressure to develop public lands for things like affordable housing near ski resort towns that have limited private lands available. Housing is a huge problem in many mountain towns in CO, and it's only going to get worse.
Registered voters in Eagle county, CO recently got a survey which was essentially what do we prioritize.

-Habitat
-Recreation
-Housing

In a bid for new revenue sources, state lawmakers in 2020 passed a law that called for “commercial, retail, recreational, agricultural and residential development” proposals that would “maximize the value of the parcel to the greatest extent possible.”

Disclosure: I work for the housing authoriity in Teton County Idaho, where Jackson shoves all of its housing issues. This law is all about maximization of profits so sales will likely add more billionaire mansions and not address any housing issues. Even if it did I'd still be against it. Well done by Game and Fish to oppose.

Registered voters in Eagle county, CO recently got a survey which was essentially what do we prioritize.

-Habitat
-Recreation
-Housing

yikes.

let's place bet's on what the results will be

i say the results will be: 35% say recreation, 52% say housing, and 12% ignore the 3rd option and write in "habitat for my recreating"

1% also ignore the last one and write in asking what habitat is... "is that... is that like boutique housing? i'm all in"

Just in the last few months - 2 hotel/motel conversions have happened/are happening down here in CO:

Steamboat: https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news...otel-lodge-as-housing-for-ski-corp-employees/
Silverthorne: https://www.summitdaily.com/news/local/summit-and-park-county-hotels-become-workforce-housing/

Breck is buying condos outright, selling some and converting some: https://www.summitdaily.com/news/lo...d-workforce-housing-through-buy-down-program/

In both cases - it's very interesting to think about the effects of the short-term rental market (AirBnB, et al) and their impact on the whole real estate picture. Steamboat has gone the hotel conversion route in the past (the old Iron Horse) but I think the model has interesting possibilities. A lot of ski resort/resort-adjacent towns have aging condos and hotels that could be good targets.

I don't know enough to postulate whether these programs are good or bad in the long run, but I concur the housing issue is only getting worse.

Isn't the lack of affordable housing a self solving issue?

No housing -> no workers -> no amenities -> reduces appeal -> reduces demand -> reduces costs...

Isn't the lack of affordable housing a self solving issue?

No housing -> no workers -> no amenities -> reduces appeal -> reduces demand -> reduces costs...

i feel like before no amenities we get pay increases first. then workers come back, cost of services are now higher, prices on everything rise more.

it's a circular monster that only ends when we die ;)

i feel like before no amenities we get pay increases first. then workers come back, cost of services are now higher, prices on everything rise more.

it's a circular monster that only ends when we die ;)
Fair enough, but I'm not willing to sacrifice habitat for cheap amenities. I guess I'm a bit heartless for those caught in the middle.

i feel like before no amenities we get pay increases first.
If a Midwesterner came out there and lived in the bed of his truck/tent for the winter and took those sweet $15 an hour ski resort paychecks back home with him in the spring is that like a new gold rush or the decline of western civilization?

If a Midwesterner came out there and lived in the bed of his truck/tent for the winter and took those sweet $15 an hour ski resort paychecks back home with him in the spring is that like a new gold rush or the decline of western civilization?

depending on one's preconceived outlooks, it's both of those things

usually those folks go back home in the spring with an STD tho...

I guess I'm a bit heartless for those caught in the middle.

oh me too.

i just actually think the economics of the situation will just keep doing a step upward on each side playing catchup on price/pay issues. never gets better, probably gets slightly worse each time. i have no hope for the situation on any front be it habitat/conservation, housing, pay, prices, etc.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madicks2
Back