Yeti GOBOX Collection

Test run for the new Davis wall tent

Had a 16x14 Davis...and like an idiot I sold it. I'll have another. You have a great tent there. I wish you many years of service out of that sucker!!

Looking good!
We always used a strip of colored electrical tape to label the frame pieces - all rafters pieces red, all ridge blue, etc...
Sounds simple but helps simplify setup.
A good quality blue tarp to cover entire tent (with stove pipe generously cut out) seems to really help with rain/snow (sliding off) and I think helps the canvas last a lot longer. Little extra protection from embers and such. Overhangs on side(s) and/or back make great outside storage place for coolers, wood, or anything really. Bonus: This adds some flaps to give the wind something to rattle while your sleeping and several more guy wires to trip on. Also lets everyone on the mountain know you are redneck nonresidents.
Also, I think I got it from a HuntTalk thread, we made a PVC 'H' (but with 2 cross pieces) that fits under the ridge (in line) to support the ridge from snow load and functions as clothes drying rack - but doesn't really get in the way of traffic flow. 8 pieces and 4 'T's that fit in the bag with frame.

Last edited:
Also, I think I got it from a HuntTalk thread, we made a PVC 'H' (but with 2 cross pieces) that fits under the ridge (in line) to support the ridge from snow load and functions as clothes drying rack - but doesn't really get in the way of traffic flow. 8 pieces and 4 'T's that fit in the bag with frame.

Do you have a picture of this? I have been bouncing around various support possibilities.

Do you have a picture of this? I have been bouncing around various support possibilities.
I will look.
We have had a tent come down from snow. The fittings at the rafter/ridge actually broke.
Taking hourly shifts to beat snow off the roof with a broom (like touching the roof of any tent) tends to lessen the ability of the canvas to repel water (another reason for blue tarp).
We tried cutting posts from trees but in the middle of the night, if the wind lifts the tent only slightly (or pushes in on a side causing the ridge to lift), a falling post inside the tent will almost always strike you in the head while sleeping - this can actually happen more than once - in one night. Good times!
A small 'V' cut in the top 2 pieces of PVC will allow a secure 'fit' to the ridge pole and a strategically placed shim (rock) will allow some adjustability to the height of the 'H' securing it in place for even the worst of wind storms. Depending, of course, on how many articles of wet clothing are draped over the cross pieces during said storm.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back