Terry, MT region 7 mule deer

Danny1788

Hi, I will be heading to terry, mt this November to hunt mule deer. Any idea where to stay at and what kind of deer I will be seeing? I have a few bma access that might work out but any one with first hand experience would be great. Thanks danny

My experience is not of Terry, but about 100 miles west. I see lots of good deer, both whitetails and mulies. After the tenth, sit on a herd of does and let the bucks find you-they will. Hold out for whatever your goal is, don't shoot the first buck you see unless he's a real bruiser. sundown to dark and twilight to sunrise are my best times but I am not ashamed to hang a buck on my wall that I pushed outta his bed. So I hunt all day. Stay in the game-not at the hotel/restaraunt/poolhall and you'll probably surpass your goals!!

Not many, if any, options for rooms in Terry. Plenty of rooms in Miles City. Because of the oil boom, finding a place to stay with get exponentially more difficult if you head any further east.

Great country around Terry. Just find a big chunk of public or BMA and get away from the road. Lots of good animals down there even if numbers are still a little low this year.

It is a good area to hunt and as Mdunc8 said you NEED to get away from the road. I would also suggest learning how to bone out a deer and have a pack and game bags with you. My first experience trying to drag one out was unpleasant. I would stay in Miles City and it is only a 30 mintue drive to Terry. I think there is one hotel there but I can't remembe rthe name of it. Good Luck!

If you're planning on a hotel/motel, make reservations NOW!

Between the hunters and the oil boom, things could be booked up quick.

Stayed here last Dec while Goose hunting down there, it was clean and the people are nice,
You have share a bathroom but it ain't no big deal .

Kempton Hotel
204 Lewis and Clark Trail Terry, MT 59349‎
(406) 635-5543

Nemont

Can't help much on the deer, I don't think that country holds much besides antelope and birds. Its hunted hard, and outfitted, and very little cover.

The first time I stayed/hunted there was pretty fun though. Blue tequila at the local dive bar, drinking straight from the Powder river because we ran out of water, packing antelope on our back "Indian backpack style" for about 3 miles, eating elk lasagna warmed on the manifold of the pickup, and killing every species of upland bird, all in 2 days. I'd do it again tomorrow if I was there.

The hotel in Terry is, uh, well... a dive.

I asked the guy at the front desk for a wake up call when we checked in, he gave me a wind up alarm clock.

The shower was a 6' metal stock water tank turned on end, with a shower head in it... I kid you not.

The crapper was community style for use by the whole floor.

The next couple times I went we stayed in a tent.

Can't help much on the deer, I don't think that country holds much besides antelope and birds. Its hunted hard, and outfitted, and very little cover.

The first time I stayed/hunted there was pretty fun though. Blue tequila at the local dive bar, drinking straight from the Powder river because we ran out of water, packing antelope on our back "Indian backpack style" for about 3 miles, eating elk lasagna warmed on the manifold of the pickup, and killing every species of upland bird, all in 2 days. I'd do it again tomorrow if I was there.

The hotel in Terry is, uh, well... a dive.

I asked the guy at the front desk for a wake up call when we checked in, he gave me a wind up alarm clock.

The shower was a 6' metal stock water tank turned on end, with a shower head in it... I kid you not.

The crapper was community style for use by the whole floor.

The next couple times I went we stayed in a tent.

Bambi,
How long ago did you stay there because that was no my experience at all. It was not the Hilton but the shower want a stock tank either.

Nemont

It was a while ago, darn near 10-12 years go I would guess now. Dang, time flies. I wouldn't be surprised if it was fixed up by now... I will say it was clean though, and I didn't notice any cow chit, or moss growing on the water trough. :D Things move so much slower out east, I assumed it was still the same. Sure miss Eastern MT and all the smart asses that live out there. Always a fun time going out, so much I'm going again this fall.

I've stayed in some real dandy places, much worse than the Kompton hotel, for sure. One place in BC that I slept in my sleeping bag, in my tent... inside the room.

I live in Glendive, I guess I have talked to people I have worked with this summer and I dont think that hotel rooms are out of the questions there may be a chance, but also there are opportunties in Glendive for lodging as they just opened a new hotel up.

was down that way antelope hunting this weekend never saw a lope, did see a number of mulies a few in the 24in wide and 4 pts,, thin horns,,,

Thanks everyone for advice! I think I got a room at the Kempton already need to make it forsure this week. I think it will be a fun trip all in all. As far as boneing a deer out no problem do it all the time hunting in Ca for blacktail. Have game bags and my brother and I both have good packs, mines a badland. 300 stw where about's did you see this buck east or West of Terry? I will be hunting about 10 min south east of terry on a big BMA.

If you are huting the large BMA just north of Terry, make certain to have some other spots to go and keep an eye on accessible BLM. That area gets hunted/hit hard most every year. I'd bring a shotgun as well since there are birds out that way as well, especially if you get your deer quickly.

Back