Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Tent with stove under 1k...is it possible?

gdgwp

So I'm planning on a week long trip to Wyoming for the elk rifle season. (Pending a tag obviously). Either way, a buddy and I are planning on making a trip like this and others a yearly deal so we need to get our camp put together.

I've been looking around at different tents that have the ability to have a stove. So far I've looked at the Cabela's, Kifaru, and Montana Canvas options.

What other options are out there? I'd rather not spend all my savings on a Montana Canvas tent as that seems to be the BMW of outfitter tents. But I'd also like to be comfortable and warm. The Kifaru sawtooth seems like a good option, but might be cramped. The Cabela's Big Horn III seems to be the middle of the road of these three options I've research.

I guess I'm asking...am I missing a brand or a tent that won't break the bank and would keep me warm and toasty? Two - three hunters...camping near the truck.

I got one of these for free. 2 cots is spacious, 3 cots is tight. Put a tarp over it.

Then cut a hole and build your own stove for $100. Last step, go buy a new rifle with the leftover $.

Attachments

• 1e40cbd9f3b8a73fd91278672af03aef.jpg
    1e40cbd9f3b8a73fd91278672af03aef.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,621
If you're looking for a big base camp setup, this probably isn't for you since these are for backpacking... but both of these companies might have options that would fit what you're looking for.

We went with a SeekOutside Cimarron with a Titanium Goat WiFi stove and have been very happy with the results of both. Good luck in your tent search and drawing your tags.

Look up Yakima Tent and Awning. We purchased one a few years ago,and have been very happy with it. On thier website you are able to pick your material,weight and size and have a stove pipe hole put anywhere you specify. We got a deal online that included shipping and poles. I agree the Montana tent is a very nice one, but for those of us that only use it about a week a year the cost is pretty high. This may be a good alternative for you. We got a 12x14 with stove hole and poles delivered for about $950.00 if I remember correctly.

You first need to decide on what type of camp you plan on setting. Do you want a light weight set up so you can backpack or are you going to car camp in which weight isn't a concern. For packing in with a stove, a Seek Outside tipi is hard to beat. They make a good quality product and first rate customer service. Kifaru is another top quality USA company. If you don't care about the weight issue, start looking at a canvas wall tent. Lots of good companies out there but I would suggest starting with Colorado Tent or Davis Tents. I've visited both factories and think they both are top shelf.

That was a screaming deal :) I would second the call for Davis Tent in Denver. They usually have specials at the Denver show and a sale around February online. My partner and I are probably going to pull the trigger this Feb. As for a stove, I am one of the few (at least on here) proponents of the GI potbelly stoves. The stoves and pipes can be had for less than $100 if you look about and you can even get them with the carburetor set up to run liquid fuel if you want. They pack to the size of a bucket and aren't crazy heavy. I am not a fan of running a stove all night as I think a good bag is the right answer for the sleepy time. One of these heats quickly, can hold a good load of wood and if paired with dampers can be reasonably efficient. Good luck on your search!!

Look up Yakima Tent and Awning. We purchased one a few years ago,and have been very happy with it. On thier website you are able to pick your material,weight and size and have a stove pipe hole put anywhere you specify. We got a deal online that included shipping and poles. I agree the Montana tent is a very nice one, but for those of us that only use it about a week a year the cost is pretty high. This may be a good alternative for you. We got a 12x14 with stove hole and poles delivered for about $950.00 if I remember correctly.

I got one of these for free. 2 cots is spacious, 3 cots is tight. Put a tarp over it.

Then cut a hole and build your own stove for $100. Last step, go buy a new rifle with the leftover $.

I have a tent just like that ,we used it for years.We put a stove jak in the back side for wood stove. worked great.
It got old so we do not use it anymore.Gave it away.
We now use an enclosed cargo trailer converted into a camper.

I have a tent just like that ,we used it for years.We put a stove jak in the back side for wood stove. worked great.
It got old so we do not use it anymore.Gave it away.
We now use an enclosed cargo trailer converted into a camper.

Cold I buy a small stove made for the Kifaru style tents and convert my 2-man dome tent with a stove Jack?

I have a brand new Reliable 10x12 tent, aluminum frame kit and full floor as well as a cylinder stove that I am planning on selling. pm me and I will send anyone interested the full details.

My brother and I just ordered a Davis tent. It was $1100 for a 14x16 with a screen, two windows and an angle kit. We added the fire retardant as well. If you plan on using this tent doe many years,then I'd spend a little more if needed. Used tents are always out there for a good price and you can always rent one if only needed a few times or less.

I've heard good things about Reliable tents,they are out of Billings. They have pretty good prices too. I can't help with the stove part since I was fortunate enough to have my uncle make me a stove.

I have a brand new Reliable 10x12 tent, aluminum frame kit and full floor as well as a cylinder stove that I am planning on selling. pm me and I will send anyone interested the full details.

You still have this tent?
I am looking for a new base/truck camp tent that I can set up alone and a stove would be a change I might welcome now I'm 60..lol.
I got soaked last year trying to dry out with the old by the fire under a tarp method.
My old Gander Mtn dome died last year and the kelty pack tent is ok,but...

Anyone use the teepee type? Seems easy for 1 to set up.

I have had a Davis tent for 6 seasons now. I have been very happy so far. I bought the angle kit and did the frame myself out of 1" EMT. All in I got a 12x14 tent with a frame and a storage bag for $650. Watch the sales they have.

If you can get to a Cabela's, they usually have several Alaknak tents in the Bargain Cave. I've been using one for years and can set it up by myself no problem. One of my hunting bud's bought a brand spanking new one 12X20 out of the Bargain Cave in Glendale AZ for $600 last year. About 6 months before that, another buddy bought a 13X27 for $700. I paid $1100 for my 12X20 8 years ago.

You still have this tent?
I am looking for a new base/truck camp tent that I can set up alone and a stove would be a change I might welcome now I'm 60..lol.
I got soaked last year trying to dry out with the old by the fire under a tarp method.
My old Gander Mtn dome died last year and the kelty pack tent is ok,but...

Anyone use the teepee type? Seems easy for 1 to set up.

I still have this tent, I have given gdgwp first option until the end of the month, if he declines I will post it for sale on Hunttalk first and will be driving to Missoula for the BHA event the end of March so could work out a delivery program.

I have used Davis tent for many seasons.. Very happy with it

I got a Davis Tent last year and am very pleased with it. Had no problems even in 65mph wind gusts we got last November while out in Montana

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back