Caribou Gear Tarp

Tent-Share or not Share?

Way too many variables, totally depends on the situation (type of hunt, people, available equipment, etc.).

Snoring is the main complaint I have right now. I am a lite sleeper and tough to get a good nights sleep. Don't think I could sleep with ear plugs

Most folks go with a single tent for the party at base camp (just bring ear plugs) and one man tents for backcountry spike camps.

Absolutely if you are backpack hunting. No if car camping.

A tent is likely one of the single heaviest items in your pack why wouldn't you want to share the weight. The only time I would advise everyone to have their own tent is if I was going on a hunt that I knew was going to be super wet. When it's really rainy you want lots of room.

Snoring is the main complaint I have right now. I am a lite sleeper and tough to get a good nights sleep. Don't think I could sleep with ear plugs

I started sleeping with ear plugs way back in 1998 when I went to CO for the first time.... stayed in a cabin with 8 other guys and the snoring was so loud it was unbearable. Never again.. I ALWAYS have a pair in my Dock kit, keep a spare in my backpack, etc... Helps me even if my hunting partner isn't snoring. Wind whipping in the trees or tent making noise, etc...

Doesn't take long to get used to them.

Absolutely if you are backpack hunting. No if car camping.

A tent is likely one of the single heaviest items in your pack why wouldn't you want to share the weight. The only time I would advise everyone to have their own tent is if I was going on a hunt that I knew was going to be super wet. When it's really rainy you want lots of room.
That's my general policy as well.

We did the big wall tent this year - was nice for hanging out together, drinking, playing cards on a rainy evening. If backpacking I would be inclined to go with pairs in 3-man tents. ["2 man" tents and "8 gun" safes are lies ;) ]

God you are on the money with this. First two times backpack hunting we stayed in a "3 man" REI tent... yeah... no way it would fit 3 guys. We even laid out just like the figure on the label with us laying feet to head.

First part of the hunt, 4 people 2 tents 2 rifles. Second part of the hunt 3 people 1 tent 1 rifle.

I cannot sleep at all when someone is snoring, ear plugs or otherwise, so I always bring my own tent. To me, it's worth carrying the extra 2-3 pounds it ends up being to actually get a good night's sleep.

If I'm forced to share a tent I'm going to be packing an extra bottle of Pendleton anyway.

Back