Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Tent-Share or not Share?

After spending 14 days in a 2 man North Face with an AK guide that I did not get along with very well, I always bring my own tent. It is the lightest pounds in my pack Only time I share a backpacking tent is with my wife or sons.

Two years ago bought a 14x17 wall tent. This year used a stove in it to keep warm at night. Slept better and more rested than almost all other hunting trips out west I've been on. Previously slept in smaller tents but just not comfortable.
BUT...…..we do pack 2 and 3 man tents for spike camps, and that in my opinion, is a good way to go. Few nights out then back to dry clothes and get comfortable for a night. Works for us...…..

After spending 14 days in a 2 man North Face with an AK guide that I did not get along with very well, I always bring my own tent. It is the lightest pounds in my pack Only time I share a backpacking tent is with my wife or sons.

That’s brutal, I’ve only every hunted or camped with good friends or family.

In typical HT fashion... it all depends on who I'll be going with. Wife - 1 tent, main hunt partner backpacking - 1 tent, main hunt partner base camp - separate (he's got a RTT and I have the topper on the back of my truck.) Meeting a bunch of guys I work with to hunt for a weekend - ya, I'll just bring my own bro - we good.

Depends. I have a pop-up camper and plenty of room for my hunting buddy and his bother to sleep plus I bring a 6 man cabin tent that really only sleeps 4 comfortably that I use to store gear and stuff I want out of the weather. We bring what we have and share it with everyone there. That includes food, beverages and that and then we split the meat unless everyone gets their tags filled, in which case everyone gets their own beat and my and my buddy join together and do our own processing.

I sleep in a hammock so no sharing there. Did one 5 day trip long ago with a big guy sharing a “2-man” tent. We regretted not swinging for the extra 8 oz each it would have cost us to use a 3-man tent the entire trip!

My rule for 2 is a 10x12 wall tent at minimum with a heat source, cots and carpet. If I'm packing in I use a Whelan lean-to shelter which will also sleep 2 if necessary and build the firepit in front for heat. I refuse to be confined in a crawl in tent in the backcountry. Those foam screw in ear plugs are always at hand. They don't bother me at all, I don't hear anything.

I will literally take an extra THREE trips out heavy to have good rest! Crap sleep = crap effort hunting and that's not okay with me.

I also did the Alaska 2-man tent for too many days with a guide who had sleep apnea. He slept great. I could not but help to notice when he would go 10 or more seconds without breathing. I ended up sleep deprived. Oh, we were way back so a chopper was the only way to get help fast. We were dropped by super cubs a day's hike from camp. All well that ends well as I punched the tag and the guide is alive years later.

May I suggest that some of you add some unisom to your sleeping kit.
While glassing...
giphy.gif

I don't sleep in the same room as the wife because of her snoring. I'm sure as hell not sharing with another hunting partner. As light as tents have become why would you share.

I don't sleep in the same room as the wife because of her snoring. I'm sure as hell not sharing with another hunting partner. As light as tents have become why would you share.

"Oz make lbs, lbs make pain." - Dr. Prock

I slept in my truck one night after pheasant hunting where everyone had their own rooms because of the snoring. I'll take my bivvy over the hill rather than tent with most of the guys I hunt with.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back