Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Tennessee move..info please

NWTF National Convention is in Nashville every February at the Gaylord Opryland Resort. Free for members and well worth the $20 entrance fee for nonmembers. I think its like the 30th or 40th annual convention there. Fun!

I think you'll like that area, a lot of public land to explore, plus you won't have to worry about altitude sickness😁

Well, things are beginning to set forth into motion. My house will be on the market soon. We're concentrating on the Cookeville/Crossville/Deer Lodge area. I have found a few rental houses that will take my dogs in Crossville. There's a VA clinic in Cookeville. The housing market and available land for sale makes it look nice for us. We want some acreage with a home, or we will build. We've researched stores, shopping, movies, food, medical services and even liquor stores in the areas and we like what we're finding. We are already working with a real estate broker. This can't happen quickly enough....

I'm a Middle TN native in the Nashville area. Feel free to PM me your questions - esp regarding CCW laws. I think you'll be happy here, legislatively-speaking. I don't know the Cookeville area very well, other than it's a good stop between Nashville and Knoxville. Please tell everyone you know that your move is involuntary and everything you've researched is telling you that TN is the epicenter of misery and the very threshold of Hell itself. Bid your friends farewell and ensure they never visit. Welcome to the Volunteer State.

p.s. In all seriousness, please give a tornado shelter very serious consideration if you go the modular home route.

I don't know anything about TN other then I was very disappointed in the Memphis BBQ while I was there. Anyways, I have a buddy that sells property in KY, and I see farms he list and they are a fraction of the price of farms here in northern IN. Might be worth checking KY out as Nashville isn't that far. Best of luck to you and your move.

I'm guessing you didn't try Central BBQ downtown. And if you visited the Rendezvous, then I understand your disappointment.

Where can I find information about gun laws and CCP and stuff like that? Also, do trucks rot from salt in the winter like they do in NY? Also, since I can't bring myself to root for the Titans, which college team do I root for?

You can always go rogue and root for Clemson Tigers

I'm guessing you didn't try Central BBQ downtown. And if you visited the Rendezvous, then I understand your disappointment.

We stopped at Central last fall going home from the Bristol race. Food TO US was OK, nothing to write home about. But then again, we're kind of BBQ snobs. Wife always says mine tastes better! Headed back to Bristol again this weekend, will hit Nashville on the way to or back for some Hattie B's hot chicken. Going to try the next step up from hot this time.

Where can I find information about gun laws and CCP and stuff like that? Also, do trucks rot from salt in the winter like they do in NY? Also, since I can't bring myself to root for the Titans, which college team do I root for?

It doesn't snow enough here to worry about salt rot and the temps will rise quickly enough after snow to wash your truck. Most of your winter will be spent enjoying 40 degree temps and rain. Occasionally, you'll get a bluebird day that will remind of you of Colorado. The next day, you'll be scrambling for cover under a tornado warning. When spring arrives for its annual week of balmy weather - you know, before the summer humidity hits you like a freight train - you will go turkey hunting and forget about the Biblical plague known as seed ticks. You will do this only once.

98.25% of Tennesseans are fans of the UT Vols. If you wish to be a Vols fan, you will get year-round use out of your blaze orange. If you want to fully embrace defeat, except for an unusually successful baseball team, you may cheer for the Vanderbilt Commodores. If you wish to pretend you don't live here, there is a team in Alabama that's rather successful. If you go the Roll Tide route, I would avoid any vehicle decoration east of Nashville.

Last edited:
We stopped at Central last fall going home from the Bristol race. Food TO US was OK, nothing to write home about. But then again, we're kind of BBQ snobs. Wife always says mine tastes better! Headed back to Bristol again this weekend, will hit Nashville on the way to or back for some Hattie B's hot chicken. Going to try the next step up from hot this time.

If you ever need a BBQ stop in Nashville, give Edley's or Martin's a try. Some people swear by Peg Leg Porker, but I was disappointed there. I suppose it can happen at any joint!

Hey John. I grew up in Franklin outside of Nashville. I'm planning on going to Montana or Wyoming next year. If I was staying though, I'd be focusing on the Winchester/Manchester area. Close enough to Nashville for all the stuff you need it for and really close to great fishing and hunting, land is still affordable while being very pretty too. That area is also in unit L for deer hunting which allows you 3 does per day. Also close to Huntsville, Alabama. Again if it was me, I'd skip the trailer if you can and build a "barndominium" on a piece of land. Crossville and Cookeville are nice but too thick and wooded for me to live there all the time. They get a little more snow on the Cumberland Plateau though. Good luck with wherever you end up. TN is a cool place even though its changed over the years. To me, it gets a lot better when you get about an hr from Nashville in any direction. Not everyone here is UT fans btw. ROLL TIDE

Almost forgot, about the CCP situation, we have a Handgun Carry Permit that's easy to get and allows you to open or concealed carry. We've had constitutional carry laws considered a lot but not passed yet. We're still a mostly free state.

Hey John. I grew up in Franklin outside of Nashville. I'm planning on going to Montana or Wyoming next year. If I was staying though, I'd be focusing on the Winchester/Manchester area. Close enough to Nashville for all the stuff you need it for and really close to great fishing and hunting, land is still affordable while being very pretty too. That area is also in unit L for deer hunting which allows you 3 does per day. Also close to Huntsville, Alabama. Again if it was me, I'd skip the trailer if you can and build a "barndominium" on a piece of land. Crossville and Cookeville are nice but too thick and wooded for me to live there all the time. They get a little more snow on the Cumberland Plateau though. Good luck with wherever you end up. TN is a cool place even though its changed over the years. To me, it gets a lot better when you get about an hr from Nashville in any direction. Not everyone here is UT fans btw. ROLL TIDE

Almost forgot, about the CCP situation, we have a Handgun Carry Permit that's easy to get and allows you to open or concealed carry. We've had constitutional carry laws considered a lot but not passed yet. We're still a mostly free state.

Good advice. That area lines up better for reaching the VA in Murfreesboro, too.

If you ever need a BBQ stop in Nashville, give Edley's or Martin's a try. Some people swear by Peg Leg Porker, but I was disappointed there. I suppose it can happen at any joint!

I'll have to keep them in mind when we go through. Hard to get pulled off of that hot chicken, though! Any places that might beat Hattie B's?

John, sounds like you're pretty well on your way. Hope you find "the" place!

I'll have to keep them in mind when we go through. Hard to get pulled off of that hot chicken, though! Any places that might beat Hattie B's?

I don't know about beating Hattie B's, but Prince's and Big Shake's are highly regarded.

You all have been amazing with ideas and advice and knowledge both on here and in PM. I can't thank all of you enough. There will be a party to end all parties at some point :cool: One more question I have is about homeowners insurance. Do we have to get a rider for tornado coverage of some sort? Is that brutally expensive?

You all have been amazing with ideas and advice and knowledge both on here and in PM. I can't thank all of you enough. There will be a party to end all parties at some point :cool: One more question I have is about homeowners insurance. Do we have to get a rider for tornado coverage of some sort? Is that brutally expensive?

I'm not an insurance expert, but my TN policies have always covered wind damage. I had an entire roof replaced in 2010 after some shingles were ripped off in a storm. That said, I would triple check to be sure you're covered. I'm sure your premium will also depend upon your home's construction type and a tornado shelter may qualify for a discount.

Well, things are beginning to set forth into motion. My house will be on the market soon. We're concentrating on the Cookeville/Crossville/Deer Lodge area. I have found a few rental houses that will take my dogs in Crossville. There's a VA clinic in Cookeville. The housing market and available land for sale makes it look nice for us. We want some acreage with a home, or we will build. We've researched stores, shopping, movies, food, medical services and even liquor stores in the areas and we like what we're finding. We are already working with a real estate broker. This can't happen quickly enough....

That's excellent news. We drove through that area this spring, some of the very areas you're looking at. We found them worthy of coming back to for a vacation on it's own. Like you and your lady, we were shocked at the prices for homes and land. Sometimes less than 1/2 of what we would pay here.

I wish you guys the best of luck with your endeavor!

The real question is what will you be classified as? Yankee? Damn Yankee? Westerner? If you say ain't, cain't, and y'all, you'll be fine. Or like a guy in Macon Georgia told me, everybody north of Atlanta is a yankee!

Reactions: LCH
The real question is what will you be classified as? Yankee? Damn Yankee? Westerner? If you say ain't, cain't, and y'all, you'll be fine. Or like a guy in Macon Georgia told me, everybody north of Atlanta is a yankee!

Good point, and Atlanta has plenty of cause for concern after Sherman. But, I'm way past the Confederate/Union issue at this point. I even went so far as to marry a yankee devil. As long as Cushman's a patriot who believes in the importance of the Second Amendment and doesn't do that western up-speak thing where every phrase ends in a question, he's good with this Tennessean.

That's excellent news. We drove through that area this spring, some of the very areas you're looking at. We found them worthy of coming back to for a vacation on it's own. Like you and your lady, we were shocked at the prices for homes and land. Sometimes less than 1/2 of what we would pay here.

I wish you guys the best of luck with your endeavor!
Shhhhhhhh!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back