Tennessee move..info please

I grew up in Spring City TN and went to school in Murfreesboro but have hunted all over the state. It's a great state and most places are nice and welcoming. However, to get a decent price on land you'll have to stay away from the big cities. Otherwise it really depends on the terrain you want. I'd second the Cookeville/Crossville area as being a really nice mix of civilization but small town living. Murfreesboro and surrounding areas are expensive relatively speaking. If you go farther west of Nashville the land price seems to drop drastically but so does civilization until you get closer to Memphis so again just depends what you're looking for.

I have driven straight through Tennessee many times driving from the northeast to TX and I always wanted to stop and get to know the place, an absolute beautiful drive in the fall. We are planning a family vacation in the near future. Bbq is top notch I do always make sure to stop for that.

I have spent some extended time in the surrounding states Alabama, Mississippi and the Carolinas. Some of the best fishing and seafood in the world right there. You would be withing a reasonable drive to both the gulf and the east coasts.

Best of luck to you and your girlfriend. A chance for a new adventure and to lay some fresh tracks.

Whenever I run into seasoned motorcycle enthusiasts the subject of best states to ride comes up. Tennessee is always at or near the top. My view from a vehicle was Interstate only but it certainly provoked want of a return visit.

Buona fortuna Cushman....

As Southern Elk mentioned, it's hard to beat the Smokey Mountains. There is a town west of Gatlinburg called Townsend that is a really cool town. It's probably about 3 hours from Nashville though. The trout fishing is superb in and around the park. Some of the tailwaters are world class. Best of luck John. I hope you can find what you are looking for.

Now you need to brush up on college football and NASCAR!
Yup. Gonna need to learn the words to 'Rocky Top'.
Also, don't get caught speeding in Georgia w/ Tenn plates on your car.....
Especially if you are off the interstate

Enjoy your move. WV and KY are just up the road, lots of good hunting and fishing there too.

I want to thank everyone for the well wishes, information, and private messages. This is a big step and we are in the very beginning stages of putting a plan together, and I knew I could count on all of you. From what I remember, there's quite a few HTers in the area out there, so I'm sensing beers and BBQ in my future with some new friends. I got on Zillow a few times for the hell of it and looked at Cookeville and Crossville and the markets are awesome out there. I found a nice little house on 20 acres outside of Crossville for $175K and that blew my mind. From what research I've done the average temps in the area are awesome and won't fluctuate like they do here where I am in Colorado. I guess I'll have to worry about fleas and ticks again going back East. I never thought I'd see myself going back East, but it's time for a change again. I guess I'm having a mid life crisis of some sort.

I can only wish you all the best John Cushman! You have been a friend to me & I appreciate it.
Trying to find the number of a guide guy I know who lives in Tenn. & does know hunting there. He guides for elk here in NM & I met hit when he 1st started after his tours were over.

Yeah the housing prices here are considerably lower than out there. But like I said it's a competitive market right now. Crossville is a great little town. That puts you driving distance to the mountains and Nashville. If being convenient to Nashville and VA in Murfreesboro were my priorities then I would focus more on Cookeville, which is also a great town. Man, there really isn't a bad place to live around here in my opinion. Feel free to shoot me a PM if there is anything I can do to help out along the way.

John you don't know me from Adam from I've appreciated your comments and information on here many times. I hope it all works out for the best for you.

My company has several clients up in TN, mostly around the Knoxville and Oak Ridge areas though. Driving across the state it seems like a lot of it is really beautiful and you almost can't go wrong. It wouldn't surprise me if I end up around there someday as well. My wife and I have looked at the cost of living compared to south Florida, let alone the hunting differences, and it certainly is appealing.

I have family in Clarksville and the times I've visited in the fall were amazing. Good deer and turkey hunting. Also has some great trout fishing. if memory serves me right "mousing" kind of gained a lot of its popularity from guys down in Tennessee. And some of the most gorgeous country I have seen. I wish you well on your next adventure sir.

Back