Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Tennessee move..info please

Where can I find information about gun laws and CCP and stuff like that? Also, do trucks rot from salt in the winter like they do in NY? Also, since I can't bring myself to root for the Titans, which college team do I root for?

Rocky top. Peyton's team, Tennessee.

Alabama will kick their ass every year, but you have to fit into the community.

Not sure on the ccp but salt will be an issue but nothing like what NY or PA has to deal with. Just watch buying used 3/4 ton trucks because they'll be eaten up if used for a plow truck.

As far as football, Tennessee is the obvious choice in state. Since you'll be in the eastern part your not far from VA tech, Clemson or Georgia fans. For smaller schools there's Memphis and Appalachian State. Plenty of other schools but that's the ones I think of for football.

Tuscaloosa is only about 4 hrs from Nashville, so you could cheer for Bama;). I’m boarding a flight now to head to Nashville and was getting caught up on the latest. Congrats on the move sir.

Nashville is a boom town. It’s getting expensive. Take a look around Huntsville, AL. One of the finest areas to live around.

keep us updated as you figure this move out. currently live in upstate NY nestled between the tug hill & adirondacks wife's family is here so don't expect her to be ready to move anytime soon but KY & TN are two that have had my interest for a while so interested to follow your journey so I can learn from it myself

John congrats on the move. I am currently doing similar. Wishing you the best of luck on new stomping grounds.

Rocky top. Peyton's team, Tennessee.

Alabama will kick their ass every year, but you have to fit into the community.

Plus you can go to the game on Saturday, hunt on Sunday, and pick up highway trash on Monday, all without changing clothes! (Nobody looks good in that shade of orange, plus Rocky Top peaks out in NC (35°33'50.6"N 83°42'50.1"W) and the song was originally performed by Kentuckians.)

If you want to jump on a bandwagon, Bama's the obvious choice, but it's gotta be boring to win so much. I'd suggest perennial underdogs Vandy or Kentucky, but Western Kentucky University has a good program for a Directional-State-U.

Dang, how did I miss this? John, I hope it all works out for both of you, can't help much with Tennessee.

You can find CCP info at this link:

Any real estate within an hour of Nashville or Murfreesboro is gonna be overpriced, plus I wouldn't wanna live within an hour of that congestion. IMHO, any of the TN river counties between Memphis & Nashville would be an awesome place to set up camp, my preference would be henry, benton, stewart, houston or humphreys counties. You would be within an easy 2 hour drive to Nashville. You would also be within the heart of Kentucky lake with very good fishing and waterfowl hunting, close to fort campbell & land between the lakes for good public land deer/turkey hunting. good luck with the move.

We've been on zillow and realtor.com and are kind of settling in the Cookesville/Crossville area. We're finding good chunks of land for awesome prices. I think what we're going to do is log out a few acres of what we'd buy and put a cement slab down and put a single wide trailer on it for now. I've never done this from scratch before, so I'm assuming I'll need some sort of general contractor to get the septic and well and electric and slab done. How do I go about finding a reputable contractor? We found a place in Cookesville that sells used singlewides. I also need to find out if the zoning in the area allows singlewides. We talked about putting a large camper on there and building a pole barn, but decided we can get a trailer for about the same price and have something to move into with a real kitchen and bathroom and whatnot. We can get the loan for the land and pay cash for the trailer and utility set up. That will give us somewhere fully functional to live while I'm fixing up my house in Colorado to sell. Later on we can get a log home or modular. Is this a reasonably good idea?

We lived in a trailer for 3 years. We bought it used for $12.5k and resold it for $12.5k. As long as you don't take the initial hit on a new one you should be fine, so long as a tornado doesn't come through.

When we moved to NM I was able to section out 10 acres and put a new double wide on a permanent pier and beam foundation all though a VA loan. The home dealer handled all of the contracting for the septic and electrical run. I could have sourced everything myself and perhaps saved some money but I did not have enough time nor did I want all or any of those headaches. Our plan is to live in this house until we can start building our dream dog run house but I have a feeling that will be a ways off.

Paid 68000 for a brand new 3 bed 2 bath double wide that I am very happy with. Wife was able to pick the model and features. Coming from a 120 year old house I bought in NJ for 110000 that was falling apart, I couldn't be happier with my new trailer.

They do sell used Mobile homes or may have good deals on homes already on the lot. I've actually developed a relationship with the home dealer and learned some ins and outs. They can order new houses for display models and only have to pay interest for the first year. After the first year the dealer has to start paying the full mortgages so those display homes start to cost them alot of money if they are not bought outright. Some negotiations to be had there.

Last edited:
I can't imagine living in the Midwest, or MidEast for that matter, without a basement. The first time you have a tornado on the loose after dark, you will be damn glad to have one. There are alternative storm shelters that you could do. A friend in OK had one installed in his garage floor. A short time later, he watched his house lift off. He, his wife, his cat, his ipad, and his guitar were all without a scratch. He was a happy guy. But basements are so multifunctional that they are hard to live w/o once you have had one.

Just my 2 cents.

Tornadoes used to be seasonal, but these days the season is all year. I'd want a fraidy-hole within a few steps to jump into if I heard that locomotive coming over the hill!

Probably depends more if you're on the ridgetop or down in the hollow, but they are fairly common.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190510-070720~01.png
    Screenshot_20190510-070720~01.png
    151.4 KB · Views: 9
Well, things are beginning to set forth into motion. My house will be on the market soon. We're concentrating on the Cookeville/Crossville/Deer Lodge area. I have found a few rental houses that will take my dogs in Crossville. There's a VA clinic in Cookeville. The housing market and available land for sale makes it look nice for us. We want some acreage with a home, or we will build. We've researched stores, shopping, movies, food, medical services and even liquor stores in the areas and we like what we're finding. We are already working with a real estate broker. This can't happen quickly enough....

Back