MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Ten hour goat hunt

TBinKodiak

Hey MtMiller you should have been here last weekend... :cool:
A couple weeks ago a friend invited me out for drinks with a buddy of his that lives on the mainland. The discussion turned to hunting and he said his wife had drawn a goat tag for the north roadsystem area. I tell him I can show them some goats and to give me call when they get into town and I'll see if I can go. Tim showed up on Friday and took us out to lunch. I told him the valley I've deer hunted in might be a good area, since of the 6 times I've been in there I've seen goats 4 times. Leona his wife flew in Saturday morning at 8am and could only hunt the weekend so I knew it was going to be a long shot.
Well it was a tough hunt, but pretty easy as far as goat hunts go. Leona's flight made it in right at 8 and we hit the trail at 8:50. Tim and Leona were in pretty good shape and we made decent time. We made it up to the point that allows you to see up in the valley at 10:15. I about shat when I crested the hill and counted 47 goats at the head of the valley, the most I'd ever seen in there before was 14. We were about a 2 mile hike from them and things really slowed down at this point. Leona runs every day and has finished a few marathons, but the steep sidehilling really messed with her ankles. Luckily most of the goats fed over the mt leaving about 18 bedded at the head of the valley. I say luckily because we were out in the open for most of the stalk and that is way to many eyes. By the time we got back there only 9 were still bedded and 4 of those were up on the knife edge. We knew the 4 bedded below were 3 nannies and a kid, but the one up above might be a billy. We actually walked past 2 billies bedded at about 300 yards on our stalk but they were in the cliff face on the backside of the mt and there was no way to get them if she did shoot one. At about this point I asked her if she had her heart set on a billy or if she'd take a nanny. Her reply was she'd shoot the first goat within range, because she wasn't about to hike back in there again tomorrow.. :D
Anyway we crested over and spotted the nanny group at about 60 yards. We saw the kid nudge mom to get her up for a quick drink of milk so we knew that one was the mother and off limits. We were trying to gain a little elevation to get a look at the other goat but the wind was swirling bad and the nanny group winded us. It was now or never as they started to trot for the top which was about 100 yards up from them. Leona made a great shot taking out the vitals and the far shoulder. That was followed up with another to stop the upward movement and start the downhill role. :cool:
It's pretty crazy that she flew in at 8am and had a goat on the ground at 1:30. It was a nasty hike out with heavy packs, but a really nice day and fun as heck. The goat is a 9" nanny but has the horn shape of a billy, just not quite as thick. A beautiful day to be up in the mountains and great people to share a hunt with.

Me, the hunter, and her trophy
2007GoatHunt.jpg

These eleven came around the mt after we shot the nanny.
2007GoatHunt2.jpg

Another shot of the goats with the happy couple in the picture
2007GoatHunt3.jpg

You are killing me. I am just putting the finishing touchs on my packing list and hopefully throw a couple more bullets down the barrel to ensure I am still on target.

I hope my weather is as nice, but looks like rain for your island this weekend. As long as my plane gets in the air and to my destination I will be much relieved.

thanks for the story...that hunter is definitely better looking than this one....

Man I got done posting that and a couple minutes later it felt like someone kicked the back of my chair. Yep, 5.1 earthquake over by Ouzinkie. Guess that's what I get for living in "the Ring of Fire"... hump

TB, had to look twice at the first photo as I thought you were barefoot and had awfully short legs at first glance.

Way cool hunt!

We've had decent weather since last Friday. Yesterday it was gusting to 50 but sunny. Supposed to be about the same today. I see rain in the forcast for Thurs and Fri but just clouds on the weekend. Although weather reports beyond about 3 days are worthless. Here's a decent place to get weather reports http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=AKZ171

Good luck, Miller. The things I learned about the weather on Kodiak last year: 1) just like TB said, weather forcasts are worthless, and 2) rain isn't nearly as big of a problem as wind. We woke up on the day we were to fly out and were totally pumped because the storm had blown out and there was a big, bright bluebird sky outside. Still took us two days to get out because of the wind.

Congrats on the quick goat hunt, TB. Looks really nice there.

It's pretty crazy that she flew in at 8am and had a goat on the ground at 1:30.

Hey, hey...no same day airborne/hunting. :p I'm sure she spotted that goat from the AK Airlines jet.

All of these goats going down on Kodiak this year I wonder if I drew next year if there would be any left.

That's awesome, I'd love to go on a goat hunt. Problem is the wife doesn't want me to bring any goat meat home. How does goat meat compare to other wild meat?

--Bill

Ovis,
They increased tags in the north road system from 15 to 50 last fall because the herd is way over capacity in the Devils Prongs. I explained to her that by taking a nanny she was actually helping out the herd, because they are pretty close to eating themselves out of house and home up there. Not many big billies up there though, my buddy hunted it hard last fall and the best he could find was a 9.75 with 6" bases (of course it was just slightly bigger than the one I have by .25 on the bases) :BLEEP:

Bill,
Goat meat is alright, lets just say I turned down the offer of meat on that trip. I told them they could go pound-for-pound with beer on my pack weight if they wanted to though.... hump

Goat meat is alright, lets just say I turned down the offer of meat on that trip. I told them they could go pound-for-pound with beer on my pack weight if they wanted to though.... hump
haha....I was going to ask if you wanted some of my goat meat if I get lucky. Guess I won't ask.;) :D

What was her rifle, caliber and bullet setup?

30/06 with 180 grain is all I know. Two hits in the boiler room and took out the far shoulder with two exit wounds. That is enough to kill any nanny at 80 yards. Heck it may even slow a billy down enough to put another one in him... :eek: :D

Trevor,

I bumped into BRWNBR and gave him your contact info. I hope you don't mind. He was a good guy to chat with and mentioned he has been in contact with you in the past. He had some good video from a recent goat hunt.

Trevor,

I bumped into BRWNBR and gave him your contact info. I hope you don't mind. He was a good guy to chat with and mentioned he has been in contact with you in the past. He had some good video from a recent goat hunt.

Not a problem, I have had conversations with Jake through PMs and emails before. I just told him where to find the trail head into that valley. I was in there today with a friend deer hunting (the one you bought a drink for) and we didn't see any goats. Also only saw one small buck that we chose not to go after.
I didn't get a call so I assume your flying out on schedule and can't make a duck hunt. I'm heading out at about 6:15 in the am so if you can make it give me a call on the cell between 5:30 and 6:15 and I'll swing by and pick you up on my way out of town.
If not, Good luck on the hunt I'm sure you'll do well and get a big one.

Back