Tell Me which 22LR rifle to buy

Tikka t1x with s&k high velocity match and you will have no problem keeping up with the custom built rifle guys. It will shoot anything sub moa.

I think the ruger 10/22 is an excellent choice. I don't own my own, but my dad has several. They are very accurate, and lots of upgrades. Most people love them, accurate and reliable. I will actually be buying one as my next rifle. There are many others that are more expensive. However for me, I think its an excellent gun at an amazing price.

Got my daughter a 77/22 years ago, and it was quite accurate, but it was like a very few hundred bucks, $2-300 IIRC. They go used for a thousand now.

My wife has a Cooper Jackson Squirrel and it is very accurate, likewise my Cooper.

After a couple of bad experiences I swore off buying rifles where there was no test target or customs where the smith I trust guaranteed accuracy. Seems like half the threads on hunting/shooting are about rifles that won't shoot, even some pretty pricey ones.

CZ though, is certainly the winner on value and have seen some pretty good walnut on some.

Or, if you want to shoot target, just go Anschutz.

I've always wanted a Remington 541 in some configuration. But, I'm a Remington guy. mtmuley
I think it was a 541S I saw in a shop years ago and my heart did flip/flops all over. Didn't have the money them and would love one now but still pretty spendy. Great looking rifle!

If your wanting to compete I'd look at high end Anschutz. I have an 1416 that is a great shooter but sporter rifle. Having said that those CZs 400 series flat out shoot. That is what I normally throw on my shoulder when I decide to hit the woods chasing bushy tails.

Last edited:
If you wanted the best 22 for hunting then hands down a New Ultra Light Arms.

Hunted fox squirrels in Ohio for three years with dogs. My brother and I each had Ruger 10/22s.We killed over 200 squirrels a year and tried to head shoot them. We bought target hammers for both guns. We bought every type of ammo we could find and shot ten shot groups with each. We sighted at 30 yards and different size groups for each brand of ammo and each gun. Mine shot CCI mini mags best and his Remington solids. Trying lots of different ammo was the secret. The 10/22s can really shoot. Bought an expensive Remington single shot and I liked the Ruger better.

I decided to take my Annie for a walk in the woods yesterday evening. Sat under the hickory trees my grandpa and I sat under when I was a kid and shot my first animal a big fat fox squirrel. It was a great day. Great shooting little rifle with beautiful wood. This is the model 1416. She didn't miss all animals head shot and died quickly20220912_195653.jpg20220912_170819.jpg.

I have a 90s produced stainless 10/22 and it’s an absolute tack driver and dead reliable. Bought a second new production a couple years ago and since they went to things like the plastic trigger guard it wasn’t worth the cardboard box it came in. Couldn’t make it through a whole mag without jamming, I can’t recommended them for anything anymore.

Mossberg 46-B-B Manufacturered in 1939
I bought this 15 years ago in near new condition , as far as I could tell it had bever been fired and was covered cosmoline? Up until 6 months ago, I had never fired it either. The wood stock had absorbed some type of oil/contamination stains and no matter how many times I tried bleaching the wood, the stains would not lift and bled through the new varnish. So I stripped it and squirted it urban camo with the colors I had on hand. This 80+ year old rifle came with a factory adjustable trigger, chambers .22, .22short, .22 long, and .22lr. The tube magazine holds TWENTY rounds of .22lr, impressive for a bolt gun. This rifle is probably the most accurate I have ever owned or fired. My kid used it at an informal shooting match last month and cleaned house.107491.jpeg107488.jpeg
115975.jpeg

Mossberg 46-B-B Manufacturered in 1939
I bought this 15 years ago in near new condition , as far as I could tell it had bever been fired and was covered cosmoline? Up until 6 months ago, I had never fired it either. The wood stock had absorbed some type of oil/contamination stains and no matter how many times I tried bleaching the wood, the stains would not lift and bled through the new varnish. So I stripped it and squirted it urban camo with the colors I had on hand. This 80+ year old rifle came with a factory adjustable trigger, chambers .22, .22short, .22 long, and .22lr. The tube magazine holds TWENTY rounds of .22lr, impressive for a bolt gun. This rifle is probably the most accurate I have ever owned or fired. My kid used it at an informal shooting match last month and cleaned house.View attachment 239375View attachment 239376
View attachment 239377
My grandpa had a 46M(b) with the full, two piece stock and peep sight. Uncle got it and his kids have trashed it. I’ve got a 42M(b) in pieces that probably isn’t worth fixing up, but I always notice those old Mossbergs. Just haven’t jumped on one for real yet.

Back