Tell me if you are getting bored with reports from blighty!

devon deer

Yes sorry chaps, another red stag down.
My fellow hunter had never shot a decent stag.
The weather was awful, rain, sleet hail snow and gale force winds, the morning outing was rough, all we saw were a couple of roe deer, but we were after reds today so left them, as we walked through the timber we could smell the reds but just couldn't find them, so off back to my house for a big cooked breakfast and plan the afternoon.
I drove to another farm 30 miles away, i figured in this weather the deer would be hunkered down in the lee of the timber.
As we were making our way slowly along the edge i whispered to my buddy i could just make out some tips of antler, he didn't agree and said they were sticks, i replied no they are antlers for sure, he moved into another position and hit the deck straight away, he said he had seen another stag lying beside the 'sticks' and the 'sticks' started to look in our direction. We quickly formulated a plan and came in from a different direction, as we got closer i said i would 'bark' at the to make them stand up, it worked a treat, up they got, my buddy did a neck shot and down it went, i got my rifle up and the other stag just looked at me, i don't know why, but i let it go to live another day.

Cheers
Richard

Nope, you tell & pic illustrate a fine story Richard...with a cool accent to boot.;)

keep the stories and pics. coming! I don't know if they really are, but those antlers look pretty impressive. Thanks for sharing!

First off congratulations on a awesome stag! I always look forward to your post so keep them coming.:hump:

Thanks chaps, in that case i will keep them coming.

We don't have the tag system, all land private, no public hunting at all, which would i prefer, what you have, public land hunting, but we are a tiny island, Montana is 2 1/2 times bigger than the whole of the UK so it works better here, so we can shoot all year around and hunt as many deer as we like.
I do not shoot many big stags, perhaps 2 a year, i like to leave a good gene pool, but this year there have been lots of great stags around.

My friends rifle is no good on a mountain hunt like you have in the rockies, it weighs a ton!
It's a laminated varmint .308 Sako 85 with sound moderator.

As for my ammo being confiscated when i visited Montana last year, i got a very apologetic message left for me yesterday, Delta admitted their website was inaccurate and have changed their website to make sure it doesn't happen again, they gave me a compensation voucher for $400, but my wife has plans on how to spend it:eek:

Cheers

Richard

Not bored at all! Love the pics, stories and videos. Now I just need to figure out how to get over there! I really need to shoot at least 2 stags in my lifetime as it's my namesake (Staggs)... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back