Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Tell me if you are getting bored with reports from blighty!

My friends rifle is no good on a mountain hunt like you have in the rockies, it weighs a ton!
It's a laminated varmint .308 Sako 85 with sound moderator.
Richard

Richard,

Certainly something to be said for that! I've been shooting a .308Win Sako 85 Laminated Varmint for a few years now. I did take an Elk and 3 Mule Deer over the past 4 years with it. It is a pain to pack up the hills, but it's the rifle I have the most confidence in at the moment. As it sits, Sling, Optic, Full mag and a Bipod, it tips the scales right around 12lbs...

That's an impressive looking Stag your friend shot there. I enjoy seeing all the updates and pictures from the UK. Keep 'em coming!!

Thanks

Not bored at all! Love the pics, stories and videos. Now I just need to figure out how to get over there! I really need to shoot at least 2 stags in my lifetime as it's my namesake (Staggs)... :D
Yes you do!

When do reds, roe and fallow normally drop their antlers?
Roe bucks usually drop antlers end of November, Red and Fallow around April.

Richard,

Certainly something to be said for that! I've been shooting a .308Win Sako 85 Laminated Varmint for a few years now. I did take an Elk and 3 Mule Deer over the past 4 years with it. It is a pain to pack up the hills, but it's the rifle I have the most confidence in at the moment. As it sits, Sling, Optic, Full mag and a Bipod, it tips the scales right around 12lbs...
Yep you have the same gun, perhaps i am a wimp!:D

Cheers

Richard

Yep you have the same gun, perhaps i am a wimp!:D

Cheers

Richard

Definitely not... It's the rifle I have the most confidence in, but that doesn't mean for a second that I enjoy hauling 12lbs of firestick up the hills in MT... The other rifle I hunt with is about 3lbs lighter, but I just don't shoot it very well anymore. It's a .325WSM and I've devloped a fairly significant flinch with it, after one day that I put 85 rounds through it in just over 8 hours... That .308 is just so pleasant to shoot, and for me I guess the confidence is just worth the weight.

That being said, I'm shopping options to offload my .325 and possibly an AR to invest in something to be a lighter rifle option without sacrificing the impressive accuracy of that Sako. I'd really like to be able to swap things around and swap out for something that will be under 10lbs with scope, bipod, sling and a full mag.

MK- I'm betting that you could hit that goal weight (or close enough) with a lighter model Sako. May have to restock to get there. I'd get it in 308 and hope it shoots the same loads. I think if I could start all over, I'd try to set myself up like that. Two rifles on the same actions, one heavy and one light, in the same chambering. 'Twould make a lot of sense IMO. Be set for everything and have a backup at the same time.

MK- I'm betting that you could hit that goal weight (or close enough) with a lighter model Sako. May have to restock to get there. I'd get it in 308 and hope it shoots the same loads. I think if I could start all over, I'd try to set myself up like that. Two rifles on the same actions, one heavy and one light, in the same chambering. 'Twould make a lot of sense IMO. Be set for everything and have a backup at the same time.

I have not doubts that I can hit the weight goal with an 85 finlight in .308, and there is certainly something to be said for having them on the same action. It's definitely on my radar. I'm also looking at putting something together in a reasonable caliber on a custom action and have a really solid smith put it together. It's still something that I am considering..........

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back