Caribou Gear

Tell me about your elk camp canvas tent setup! Add pictures if you got em

I have the Kodiak 10x10. Super nice palace with a sewn in floor. If you’re solo hunting, it’s a pain to set up on your own and it’s a lot of real estate to keep warm.

I have a bell canvas tent. I got it for the ease of setup and take down. I either camp by myself or with my boys, and you never know how much help they will be on any given day depending on the weather lol. I have really enjoyed my bell tent, but I completely understand your concern about space. You do lose some of the the floor space due to rectangular vs circle shapes. I have camped with my 2 boys and myself on cots with a wood burning stove and had room for a small table inside for several nights in my 13' bell tent. But, if you are really interested in maximizing the space you have, I would go with a cabin style.View attachment 284511View attachment 284512View attachment 284513
What make did you go with?
I am looking at belle tents too as I hunt a lot by myself and (as you already know) these are much easier to put up with one person.

IMG_6037.jpegI just went through 6 months of back and forth. Decided to pull the trigger on a Snowtrekker. I have stayed in it two nights so far. The set up time is fast and tent is spacious. I went with a 3/4 floor and still need a stove. Total weight is 52 lbs with frame and all, packs down small into a small tote that is easy to carry.

Have you ever read the kids book “If YoU Give Mouse a Cookie”?

If you get a wall tent you will need a stove. If you have a stove you will want to have firewood inside where it’s dry.

You will want a cot to sleep on and a chair to sit beside the wood stove and drink your coffee.
Since you are drinking coffee you will want to cook on the propane burner that you have sitting on your folding table.

Since you have a comfortable camp you will realize that hunting with a friend or two makes camp life more fun.

Go bigger.
Never read a better description of putting together an elk camp. As noted above, get windows on the side and in the case of a wall tent get a door on both ends. You will be amazed how much you use the venting when you have a couple of guys inside, a foot or two of snow outside, the stove running flat out and all your wet, damp gear and boots hanging from the ridge pole.

Never read a better description of putting together an elk camp. As noted above, get windows on the side and in the case of a wall tent get a door on both ends. You will be amazed how much you use the venting when you have a couple of guys inside, a foot or two of snow outside, the stove running flat out and all your wet, damp gear and boots hanging from the ridge pole.
Should rewrite the book to if you give a non resident a elk tag

I have a bell canvas tent. I got it for the ease of setup and take down. I either camp by myself or with my boys, and you never know how much help they will be on any given day depending on the weather lol. I have really enjoyed my bell tent, but I completely understand your concern about space. You do lose some of the the floor space due to rectangular vs circle shapes. I have camped with my 2 boys and myself on cots with a wood burning stove and had room for a small table inside for several nights in my 13' bell tent. But, if you are really interested in maximizing the space you have, I would go with a cabin style.View attachment 284511View attachment 284512View attachment 284513
These are awesome pictures. The family time is great. Ive got a 9 and 7 year old myself. They are pretty mad I sold the camper. Thank you for sharing and reaffirming my thoughts on the layout.

View attachment 284521I just went through 6 months of back and forth. Decided to pull the trigger on a Snowtrekker. I have stayed in it two nights so far. The set up time is fast and tent is spacious. I went with a 3/4 floor and still need a stove. Total weight is 52 lbs with frame and all, packs down small into a small tote that is easy to carry.
How do you like the 3/4 floor?

I have the Kodiak 10x10. Super nice palace with a sewn in floor. If you’re solo hunting, it’s a pain to set up on your own and it’s a lot of real estate to keep warm.
How long does it take to setup? Im looking at the cabin style that has the windows for ventilation

What make did you go with?
I am looking at belle tents too as I hunt a lot by myself and (as you already know) these are much easier to put up with one person.
This is the White Duck Outdoors Regatta 13.

I’ve been using a Davis 12x14 for 8-9yrs. Plenty spacious for two cots, stove, 6’ folding table with Coleman stove and meal prep workspace/water jug, and wood stored beside or along the stove. And room for up to 4 camp chairs for socializing in the evening (2 hunters staying somewhere else)
With three cots, it gets a bit tighter but is doable.

I’ve also used the same tent with wife and two kids (4&7): 2 normal cots and 1 double, 3’ camp table, stove. We put a rug down for kids to play on but skip the chairs with that set up. Dining is done outside otherwise it would be too tight. Or we let the kids sit in chairs and we sit on cots.

So if you are going to consistently have three or more hunters staying in there during cold hunts, go 14x16’. I can easily set up the 12x14’ up by myself in under an hours including everything. I am considering getting and extension with walls to have all the cooking stuff in it as the kids get bigger, but will see. Think that combo provides more flexibility than just a big tent.

Back window is nice, as is screen doors if it’s warm. Davis wall organizers are a new addition a few years ago and are fantastic. One on each side behind cots. Pack in smaller Rubbermaid totes that slide under the cot and they keep stuff dry if the floor is wet from snow.

Last edited:
We ditched the camper and got this Kodiak Canvas tent. It surely looks like a glamping tent and it is but it's also solid. It came with the sip in screens for the awning.

It came with the zip in walls/screens for the front section. It has a slit to pass a hose through from a bulk tank to an LP heater. It does as good a job of retaining heat as our wall tent.

20230609_123135.jpg

My wife and I spent the bulk of 24 hours in it through a heavy storm that came in with high winds. No problems and the head room was great. I did put out some extra guy lines.

20220613_204645.jpg
I Can put it up myself but help is appreciated.
The light color is easily stained by leave residue.
The floor is nice in the rain. It is heavy duty. I bought it with the thought that if it was only me and 1 maybe 2 others on an elk hunt it would be easier then the real wall tent. It would also get very dirty. There is something to be said for not having a floor and not having to worry about dirty boots.

We ditched the camper and got this Kodiak Canvas tent. It surely looks like a glamping tent and it is but it's also solid. It came with the sip in screens for the awning.

It came with the zip in walls/screens for the front section. It has a slit to pass a hose through from a bulk tank to an LP heater. It does as good a job of retaining heat as our wall tent.

View attachment 284567

My wife and I spent the bulk of 24 hours in it through a heavy storm that came in with high winds. No problems and the head room was great. I did put out some extra guy lines.

View attachment 284569
I Can put it up myself but help is appreciated.
The light color is easily stained by leave residue.
The floor is nice in the rain. It is heavy duty. I bought it with the thought that if it was only me and 1 maybe 2 others on an elk hunt it would be easier then the real wall tent. It would also get very dirty. There is something to be said for not having a floor and not having to worry about dirty boots.
Thank you for the post and the pictures. A lot of good information there! I do like the awning, you can store ice chest and such out there. It looks like a nice addition. For me, a floor is a must. I know itll be a pain to clean, but it seems like it will help with keeping moisture out. Im going to brin a batterey operated shop vac with me for the little stuff that gets in there. Great write up, much appreciated.

Thank you for the post and the pictures. A lot of good information there! I do like the awning, you can store ice chest and such out there. It looks like a nice addition. For me, a floor is a must. I know itll be a pain to clean, but it seems like it will help with keeping moisture out. Im going to brin a batterey operated shop vac with me for the little stuff that gets in there. Great write up, much appreciated.
FWIW I got a floor with my tent and I have never used it..I dont like to spending time cleaning and if you running a stove and it's snowing you basically pissing into wind trying to keep the floor clean. The awning is nice when you have 4 or more. I also got the rain fly for the tent and the sides to go with the awning, never used those either.

Attachments

• 20221009_174319.jpg
    20221009_174319.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
  • 20221102_183128.jpg
    20221102_183128.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 42
I own a 10x10 Kodiak tent and recently purchased a Davis Go Tent.

If the majority of your hunting is early season, I would recommend the Kodiak as it’s quicker to assemble, lighter and has excellent ventilation. Easy to heat up with a buddy heater. The ability to DYI a stove jack is nice but a PITA.

If you’re hunting into rifle season, you can’t beat a Davis Go Tent with a stove. A palace for 1 and can accommodate 2 people with cots need be.

It’s always a compromise between size and comfort. I prefer a smaller tent as it’s easier to heat up. Either way, don’t think you can go wrong with any of the major canvas companies.

Below is a picture of a Kodiak tent buried under 24” inches of snow during last year rifle opener in MT. On the right is a Cabalas tent that collapsed. If the Kodiak came with a stove Jack, it would probably be my only purchase..

IMG_3809.jpeg

Last edited:
I own a 10x10 Kodiak tent and recently purchased a Davis Go Tent.

If the majority of your hunting is early season, I would recommend the Kodiak as it’s quicker to assemble, lighter and has excellent ventilation. Easy to heat up with a buddy heater. The ability to DYI a stove jack is nice but a PITA.

If you’re hunting into rifle season, you can’t beat a Davis Go Tent with a stove. A palace for 1 and can accommodate 2 people with cots need be.

It’s always a compromise between size and comfort. I prefer a smaller tent as it’s easier to heat up. Either way, don’t think you can go wrong with any of the major canvas companies.

Below is a picture of a Kodiak tent buried under 24” inches of snow during last year rifle opener in MT. On the right is a Cabalas tent that collapsed. If the Kodiak came with a stove Jack, it would probably be my only purchase..

View attachment 284615

Wow! Thats crazy that it collapsed like that. I had looked at the cabelas tent, but wasnt impressed. Glad i didnt go after that one. The one im looking at had a built in stove jack. That much snow looks miserable in a tent or a camper. Thays why I like the early season haha

This is the guy I am going with. Ordering it today. Thank you for all of the input gents. Once it comes in, ill set it up and post some pictures of the setup.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back