Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Tell me about your .300 Weatherby magnum

kwyeewyk

My father in law passed recently and one of the guns he had was a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe in 300 mag. He wanted to see his guns go to use so I'm hoping to get comfortable with it and use it for elk in Wyoming this fall. I've never hunted with anything other than my grandpa's old .30-06 so will be a little strange using something new, but it feels real nice and is a bit lighter than the 06. The pull was a little short for me so I added a slip on decelerator pad (good excuse right?), takes the mule kick out of it pretty good. It has an old Leupold 1-4X scope on a hinged ring/base set up that flips to the side, I guess to still use the open sights. I figure I'll put a new scope on it. It wants to push two shells when working the bolt sometimes, not sure if it's just the old ammo he had for it getting sticky. Looks like ammo isn't cheap, but I think I've found some 180 gr ABs and BSTs for under $50/box w/ tax and shipping so not too bad. Also found Hornady Interlocks for under $40/box, figured I could use those to get some rounds through it and get familiar, but they seem to be the cheapest so not sure they'd be the best, so would probably switch to something better to dial in later on.

Those who have this gun, I'd love to hear what you feed it, and whatever other info you'd like to share, what kinda scope running, 300 yd zero?, etc. I figured I'd try a few kinds of ammo, but with prices and availability (lots of sold outs) don't want to mess around too much and find it all gone when go to buy more, so if anybody has input on the ABs vs. BSTs or others let me know. Thanks

I recently acquired a Model 700 in 300 WBY, and am in the load development stage with it. I’m definitely no expert on the cartridge, but with it’s ability to push 180 grain bullets at around, 3200 fps, it seems like a perfect platform for copper monos. I’m currently tinkering with E Tips, with mixed results. Do you hand load?

I recently acquired a Model 700 in 300 WBY, and am in the load development stage with it. I’m definitely no expert on the cartridge, but with it’s ability to push 180 grain bullets at around, 3200 fps, it seems like a perfect platform for copper monos. I’m currently tinkering with E Tips, with mixed results. Do you hand load?

Unfortunately no, although it sounds like this gun may make me want to reconsider based on ammo cost. Maybe once the kids are older and I have a little more time on my hands.

Unfortunately no, although it sounds like this gun may make me want to reconsider based on ammo cost. Maybe once the kids are older and I have a little more time on my hands.
I hear you on it being tough to find the time with little kids. I’ve got a two and a four year old, so all my tinkering happens at night after they’re in bed. I actually just came in from my reloading bench in the garage.

Sorry I can’t help with factory ammo suggestions. Probably just need to try a bunch of different stuff to see what shoots. Also may want to look into a new scope and mounts—I know I’d want a scope with higher max magnification than 4x. Your free rifle could turn into a real money pit! (Albeit a fun one.)

I do not own a 300WBY, but a friend of mine does in a Remington 700 and he doesn't reload, but I do, so I have been helping him with load development. Factory ammo is rather expensive and his rifle is finicky. First thing we did was install a Timney trigger and a Hogue stock. Then put a Leupold scope on it. One thing we noticed right away, was the fact that after the 3rd round was fired, the 4th & 5th round are always fliers. Also any bullet in the 150gr class gave amazing accuracy, anything from 165-180gr class was a head scratcher, and now we are working with various bullets in the 190-220gr class, and I must say, we are seeing some interesting results in accuracy, we are now working on the fine tuning a load, the rifle seems to like the Berger & Nosler ABLR bullets a lot. Good luck, I think the 300WBY is an interesting caliber that'll serve you well.

Picked up my 300 Weatherby last year, so haven’t spent a lot of time working up a load. Hope to rectify that soon.
Weatherby has different levels of ammo and all are great. I bought some of the cheap stuff for the brass. It shot sub MOA.
I ended up with a Leupold VX5HD 3-15 on mine, but did consider a VX-3i 4.5-14. Just got too good a deal one the VX5HD. Glad they hate Leupolds on a different site.
I like to sight in 2.5” high at 100 yards. Hopefully I can find a load for the 168 TSX and cash in the CDS.
Don’t sweat the cost of ammo. It’s not a rifle that you spend all day shooting.
As far as the issues with the feeding, give Weatherby a call. Some of the best CS out there. A stand up company.
Good luck with the Bee and your elk hunt.

I love my 300wby's! And my little pic with my name has a 300 laying across that bull. All i shot for hunting is 200 ABs handloads and believe that to be best all around hunting bullet ever created. The 200 grainers are amazing in big 300s! Since you dont reload and seem cost conscious just buy the 180gr spire point weatherby ammo, cheap and will kill anything and seems to shot good in all rifles. I would reccomend not buying other manufacturers ammo stick to the norma weatherby branded stuff, you will be happy.

I just grabbed a box each of accubonds, Barnes TTSX, and partitions in 180 gr and partitions in 200 gr. Looks like the BSTs sold out between last night and this morning. I'll give these a run and hopefully can grab some up of whatever seems best.

After 40 some years of wanting one, I finally bought a .300 Weatherby Vanguard about 10 years ago. I like to tinker with stocks, so the first thing that I did when I got it was to have a local gunsmith install a KDF muzzle brake on it and I ordered a Richards semi-inleted AA Fancy Claro Walnut stock for it. I pillar and glass bedded the action and glassed barrel channel and free floated the barrel, installed a mercury recoil reducer in the stock, put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it, then I finished the stock and hand checkered it with my favorite multi-panel grip and forend pattern. I also put a Timney trigger on it and set it to 2.5 pounds.

The felt recoil is less that the felt recoil of my Weatherby Vanguard in .308 Win.

I've had a couple of Leupold scopes on it and have settled on a 30 mm tube VX 3i 4.5-14x40 with their CDS turret system and Windplex crosshair and side focus. I really like that scope.

I've been a handloader for over 50 years, and most of my guns have never fired a factory round. I primarily wanted this rifle for my elk rifle, but I've also used it in Texas, multiple hunts in Africa, and hunts in New Zealand and Azerbaijan. I've worked up hunting loads for it with 168 grain Barnes TSX and TTSX and 180 grain TTSX bullets. All will shoot sub MOA and are deadly on everything that I've shot with them from a 20 pound African Klipspringer antelope to a leopard and bull elk. I also l have a sub MOA practice round with 168 grain Hornady HP Match bullets.

This quickly became my favorite rifle...
nIydQfUl.jpg

After 40 some years of wanting one, I finally bought a .300 Weatherby Vanguard about 10 years ago. I like to tinker with stocks, so the first thing that I did when I got it was to have a local gunsmith install a KDF muzzle brake on it and I ordered a Richards semi-inleted AA Fancy Claro Walnut stock for it. I pillar and glass bedded the action and glassed barrel channel and free floated the barrel, installed a mercury recoil reducer in the stock, put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it, then I finished the stock and hand checkered it with my favorite multi-panel grip and forend pattern. I also put a Timney trigger on it and set it to 2.5 pounds.

The felt recoil is less that the felt recoil of my Weatherby Vanguard in .308 Win.

I've had a couple of Leupold scopes on it and have settled on a 30 mm tube VX 3i 4.5-14x40 with their CDS turret system and Windplex crosshair and side focus. I really like that scope.

I've been a handloader for over 50 years, and most of my guns have never fired a factory round. I primarily wanted this rifle for my elk rifle, but I've also used it in Texas, multiple hunts in Africa, and hunts in New Zealand and Azerbaijan. I've worked up hunting loads for it with 168 grain Barnes TSX and TTSX and 180 grain TTSX bullets. All will shoot sub MOA and are deadly on everything that I've shot with them from a 20 pound African Klipspringer antelope to a leopard and bull elk. I also l have a sub MOA practice round with 168 grain Hornady HP Match bullets.

This quickly became my favorite rifle...

Absolutely gorgeous, nice job on the stock! I can see why it's your favorite

I used to own a Weatherby Accuguard chambered in 300 Roy. I used the lower cost Weatherby 180gr factory ammo that was loaded with Hornady BTSPs to break it in and harvest brass. I then worked up a very accurate load with it using 180 NABs, took it afield to kill 1 doe at 25 yards, found that it didn’t fit me just right, then sold it.

I really wanted to love the rifle, but it just wasn’t quite right for me; but I loved the chambering. The 300 Roy has lots of panache, even though factory ammo is pretty expensive for it. I may tinker with the chambering in a different rifle some day, but reloading is almost required for it since factory ammo can be expensive and hard to find

I was handed my Uncles 80's vintage Mark v after he passed away from my Dad. My Dad wasn't sure what to do with it so I told him we should keep it & hopefully pass it down the line later. It had some good years in the Idaho back country mainly on horseback. The Leupold 3-9 VXII was in decent shape but wasn't able to adjust it so it went back for repair. Reinstalled the scope & gave it thorough cleaning. I think my uncle just put back in his closet after his trips to Idaho.

Luckily ended up with a bunch of once fired brass & some dies so loaded up a bunch of 180 grain SST's & E-tip's. Didn't load anything fancy but seems to like IMR 4831. Seems to shoot good with any standard load.

This rifle was used on multiple elk, mule deer & one bear.

He had a brake installed during his later years. It still has the original stock & sling he used. Most of the bluing is wore off the left side of the barrel from being in a scabbard.

Thanks for this thread, I need to get this rifle out to the range and exercise it & get it out on a hike this year.

My 300 Weatherby isn't a Weatherby.....

It's a Flaig's built custom on an FN mauser receiver. Sendero profile 26" barrel, with sights.
Beautifuly walnut stock with a rosewood tip.
Timney trigger.

I've tried only one load in it. 180 grain Partitions. It shoots better than I do.

Recoil is easy, because of the weight. It's a tank.

Last edited:
Wanted to like a 300 Wby Mag MK V Fibremark but it was finicky and punishing. To be fair, it was before I began loading. Expensive frustration.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back