Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Tell me about your .300 Weatherby magnum

I bought a 300 bee in the WeatherMark group around this last Christmas. Put a Leupold scope VX-5 3-15 on it. After tinkering with reloading my rifle shoots 180 accubonds with a grouping in a quarter. The gun shoots better then I can. I feel it doesn’t kick much harder then my .308 or .270. It will be my Elk gun. I love how much lighter it is then the other two rifles. By far my favorite rifle I currently own.

I have a weatherby > 300 weatherby mag light weight SS with muzzlebrake and a 4-14 Leopold scope Its for sale been in the back of the gun safe for years.

I have a weatherby > 300 weatherby mag light weight SS with muzzlebrake and a 4-14 Leopold scope Its for sale been in the back of the gun safe for years.
Anything in particular you don't like about it, or just not your thing?

I took it to a local gunsmith today and for $50 we went through it all and made sure the scope bases are aligned and set the scope, re-drilled the pass-through hole for the bolt retainer that was sticking, adjusted the trigger to be slightly heavier pull (was just under 2lbs), rebent the spring in the internal magazine to lighten the tension to keep it from pushing two shells, and epoxied a small crack in the stock. Time to fling some lead!

You will love that gun. With a muzzle break it kicks less than my '06. My last elk dropped dead in his tracks at 640 yards. It's amazing how accurate you can get with the Weatherby brand. I bought mine from a family friend. Here in AZ there's lots of red lava rock which makes tracking a wounded animal super hard. That's why my family all had to "gun up" from the calibers we used growing up in Montana.

I bought a 300 bee in the WeatherMark group around this last Christmas. Put a Leupold scope VX-5 3-15 on it. After tinkering with reloading my rifle shoots 180 accubonds with a grouping in a quarter. The gun shoots better then I can. I feel it doesn’t kick much harder then my .308 or .270. It will be my Elk gun. I love how much lighter it is then the other two rifles. By far my favorite rifle I currently own.
B22EF2C3-467A-4F58-B3DA-1424760E4095.jpegLook anything like this? Mine is a Weathermark RMEF banquet rifle with the VX5HD on it.

I'm working up loads for 3 different Mark V's in anticipation of an Ontario moose hunt this fall - assuming COVID allows us to cross the border by then.

For all 3, they seem to shoot Barnes 180 TTSX with 81.5gr of 7828SSC as the best load. Interesting, one I did for a friend used 81.5 with a 180 Hornady SST.

More fine tuning in the morning, but I would look from 80.5-82.5 loading every 0.5 grains, and see where your rifle's sweet spot will be.

View attachment 144139Look anything like this? Mine is a Weathermark RMEF banquet rifle with the VX5HD on it.
Identical. I don’t have a sling on mine but that’s it. Did you get it as a auction item or a drawing? I’d love to buy a few raffle tickets and get one. I love mine. Hopefully you are enjoying yours.

Identical. I don’t have a sling on mine but that’s it. Did you get it as a auction item or a drawing? I’d love to buy a few raffle tickets and get one. I love mine. Hopefully you are enjoying yours.
Auction at a local banquet. I got a great buy on it. The scope came from a guy on RocSlide, basically brand new. I’ve bought 2 on the VX5HD 3-15 on there for about what one should have cost. Guys over there badmouth and hate them. Good place to pick up a deal!

Anything in particular you don't like about it, or just not your thing?
I have alot of guns and I honestly just don't enjoy shooting it. I mostly hunt out west with my 7mm dakota custom MCR. In the whitetail woods at home I use my 308 remington model 7 with an 18in barrel.

Auction at a local banquet. I got a great buy on it. The scope came from a guy on RocSlide, basically brand new. I’ve bought 2 on the VX5HD 3-15 on there for about what one should have cost. Guys over there badmouth and hate them. Good place to pick up a deal!
That’s awesome to know. I’ve bought two of the same rifle scope and love them. I have a few more rifles that need upgrading. Thanks for the heads up.

My 300 Weatherby is a SS Model 70 Winchester. 26 in barrel. Someday to be a family heirloom. It’s odd but sometimes we take a 7mm Rem Mag or an 06, but for some reason we see and kill more elk when 300 goes. We know it’s crazy, but we have fun with it.

I took it to a local gunsmith today and for $50 we went through it all and made sure the scope bases are aligned and set the scope, re-drilled the pass-through hole for the bolt retainer that was sticking, adjusted the trigger to be slightly heavier pull (was just under 2lbs), rebent the spring in the internal magazine to lighten the tension to keep it from pushing two shells, and epoxied a small crack in the stock. Time to fling some lead!
Well, talk to us! How does it shoot? Are you a Weatherby convert?

Well, talk to us! How does it shoot? Are you a Weatherby convert?

Well I got it roughly zeroed at a 100 yards, but that was with a 0-10 mph somewhat swirling crosswind. And pretty much every day since we've been having 5-25 mph pretty steady, so I haven't wanted to waste the expensive ammo trying to zero in the wind. Blowing about 20-25 right now. It's been driving me crazy though, really want to get a good zero so I can at least practice in the wind. Might have to take it to another range where it might be less windy if I can't get a break here, or say oh well and fire it up first thing in the morning when it's about the only time it's ever anywhere close to calm, usually get until about 7 am where it's less than 5mph. Neighbors will appreciate that, but some of them like to shoot after dark so I guess we'll have to call it even.

It calmed down right before dark and I managed to get 9 shots in before my wife sent my daughter out to guilt trip me about keeping everybody awake. Geez, who doesn't like a little random gunfire at bed time? The third group was getting close, 1st shot was dead center about 1/2 inch high, then the last two were 1/2" left and 1/2" right, but about 2 inches low. I'd have felt really good about it if they'd have been 1/2 inch low but 2 inches was more than I expected. Will try again when I can, should be able to nail it down tight with another couple groups, or figure out if my scope is wandering. I didn't mention on this thread but had some trouble getting it mounted right even after the gunsmith looked at it, so hopefully it's not related to that.

Thought your smith aligned the bases and mounted the scope? What kind of trouble did you have?

Here's a quick summary....

Not sure what's going on with it, took some more shots today (slight breeze but not much, waited for calm shots), and I can't seem to get a group less than 3 inches @ 100 yards. I suspect the scope mounting might be the issue, have a good solid bench and sand bags, been paying close attention to my shooting and I don't think it's because I'm flinching. I guess maybe I need to lap the rings, but I've never had to do that in the past to get MOA groups, so not quite sure what to think.

If you feel it’s drilled off and it very well may be, I’d call Weatherby bright and early Monday morning.
I’ll be shocked if they don’t have you send it in.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back