Tell me about Snowshoes

schmalts

I am looking to get into using them to stay in shape this winter. I have only tried them once on a borrowed pair. What is the best all around setup? Make and model?

Probably looking to get into the modern style aluminum. I know it is a long shot but I will probably get 2 pair and try.... Try that is to get the wife to get out and do it with me. That being said, I dont mind spending money but they need to be hassle free and work well for her sake.

I was tricked into buying a cheapo pair once. I said as I was walking out the door, hopefully I do not end up walking back to the truck with just a binding on my foot............................it happened.

I am looking to get into using them to stay in shape this winter. I have only tried them once on a borrowed pair. What is the best all around setup? Make and model?

My wife has a cheap pair from LL Bean 21", and I have a pair of Yukon Charlies 36" from Costco. Both set-ups under a $100 each, including poles. We just started this year, about 30 miles, so far no failures.

9C48C642-EDF3-4DB5-9C62-4F5AF697F134-6598-000007FD537FC1E3.jpg

+1 On the Tubbs. We each keep a pair at the cabin for winter and always have at least one pair on the sleds going in. Have had them four years and didn't break the bank.
My suggestion is make sure and get poles JMHO.
I have often wondered what would happen if I pulled dad's Lunds off the wall and replaced the leather straps and gave them a go. They have many years and miles on them during his trapping years in Idaho and Montana.

yeah my wife has some with out a pin and the strap loads in a way that kicks snow way up over your head when you step. Bindings look like a PITA as well.

I have a pair of Atlas that I like but I think they have been discontinued. MSR and Tubbs are probably the only others I would go with.

I have Atlas, and bought the wife a pair as well. My son will be owning those this winter. Have worked awesome for years. We need more snow! Happy New Year.

I did not have any snow kicking up on me but the ones i used were 25 inches if it matters

ive got a pair of cabelas 8 by 30" but if snow is less than a foot deep i just plow thru w regular boots,,,another year and they are still new.

I have a pair of Tubbs Wilderness 36". I have many thousands of vertical feet in them, with a heavy pack on. They are great. Make sure to get some three piece adjustable poles with big x-country ski baskets to prevent frequent face plants.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back