Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Tell Me About Game Bags

Anyone ever go the DIY route? I sew up a lot of my stuff. Was wondering if anyone found a lightweight breathable and durable material. I was thinking 200 denier uncoated nylon (flag cloth). Pete

Last edited:
I like the Argali’s. I just used them for the first time this year and seem very durable. I have used the Caribou brand as well and liked them Also. The Argali”s are around $10 mor than the Caribou’s but almost 1/2 a pound lighter.

Anyone ever go the DIY route? I sew up a lot of my stuff. Was wondering if anyone found a lightweight breathable and durable material. I was thinking 200 denier uncoated nylon (flag cloth). Pete
My mother in law is currently sewing some for me out of 70d taslan and 1.6 ripstop/1.9 ripstop. Purchased from here: https://diygearsupply.com/ Will see how they work out.

I have 8 or 10 of the old HS bags. I've used them many times, just keep washing and reusing. They're actually the only game bags I've ever owned which speaks to their durability, but they are bulky and heavy, so I've considered going a different route. I was looking at the Allen synthetics in 3Bears the other day. Allen makes some useful/practical equipment, but I have some mixed experiences with their quality. Seems like some of you guys use them with good results?

Might just look for some caribous. Big Fin doesn't seem to endorse junk.

I’ve used the Allen bags for antelope and deer. No problems.
In the end, it’s a sack with a cord closure. Kinda hard to justify paying a lot for that.

I used Alaskan bags for years & a full deer bag. About 4 yrs ago the rats got into the shed & shredded them. Got a set of TAG bags for a deer hunt. Nice bags.
Just so happens I was given a new set of Caribou bags that year,full of bull,for helping a bit on a hunt.
I used the Randy code the next year for another set,back ups.
I see why BF and others use them. EZ to clean and they just plain work great. Way lighter than the old favorite canvas packer bags or used pillow cases & sheets of old days.

Keep us posted on how they work out for you. I enjoy sewing projects. This could be an easy one to make.
Recieved this week and i put in paracord drawstrings, seem solid and should work well. Used a few different dimensions for variety from viam, caribou, kifaru, & tag. Hopefully they get a real stress test next week, they performed well with 30# and 70# kids.20201103_195928.jpg20201103_195751.jpg20201103_195631.jpg20201103_195501.jpg20201103_195216.jpg20201030_111047.jpg20201030_110855.jpg

Recieved this week and i put in paracord drawstrings, seem solid and should work well. Used a few different dimensions for variety from viam, caribou, kifaru, & tag. Hopefully they get a real stress test next week, they performed well with 30# and 70# kids.View attachment 160676View attachment 160677View attachment 160678View attachment 160679View attachment 160680View attachment 160681View attachment 160684
Nice! So I was thinking a bit about this project last night. I think it was on stone glacier's site that I saw they do not tape the seams of their water resistant bags/game bags that is is used for exterior loads (stuff on the load shelf). It is so blood can seep through if used for game. Would it make sense to have a bag that is dual purpose (game or keeping things dry), taping the seams but having tiny openings in the lower corner of the bags so liquid can drain? It would make the bag effectively water proof, but still be able to drain.

Nice! So I was thinking a bit about this project last night. I think it was on stone glacier's site that I saw they do not tape the seams of their water resistant bags/game bags that is is used for exterior loads (stuff on the load shelf). It is so blood can seep through if used for game. Would it make sense to have a bag that is dual purpose (game or keeping things dry), taping the seams but having tiny openings in the lower corner of the bags so liquid can drain? It would make the bag effectively water proof, but still be able to drain.
I thought about that, but went with uncoated fabrics. I'm guessing I can get a little evaporative cooling that way. You can buy small grommets and a kit for installing them. Seattle Fabrics website has them down to 3/16".

considering going with Allen Game Bags. do they do a good job keeping fly eggs off the meat?

Allen bags are very similar to the Caribou bags. I like them and mix them with my other bags with out any issues. Way cheaper.

I agreed they definitely are definitely different quality. Both are heavier and bulkier then a bag like argali. But I still have the same caribou bags from 4 seasons ago. Besides a little staining they are as good as day one.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back