Tell Me About Game Bags

tzone

Are they created equal? Do I just wander into Sportsman's Warehouse and grab the cheapest one?

I'll be on a WT hunt that has potential for a 2-3 mile hike in to a few spots I've found. Not dragging a deer that far or hauling a game cart in that far in the dark. What am should I be looking for in a game bag? How many do I need for a WT buck?

In short, no they are not all created equal. There are several different types but most hunters use synthetic bags because they are durable, reusable, and with relatively recent tech advances really breathable as well. I use Caribou game bags and have loved them. There are several others out there that I’m sure are just as good.

While still fairly inexpensive, I've had good luck using the Allen synthetic gamebags the past few years.

Your hunt sounds like my last successful deer hunt - a whitetail hunt where I hiked in about 2.5 mi. to a NF wilderness area. Shot my buck, quartered him and fit all the quarters in a single Allen game bag. Worked out great but I'm not built for 75# packs anymore! ha, ha.

Good luck.

I am not too worried about super expensive game bags for packing out meat. I carry 2-3 king size pillow cases and I can get the meat from a decent mule deer in 2 pillow cases. You can probably get all the meat in one I just like to use two to keep the weight of each bag easy to handle. The other pillow case can carry the hide if needed. I want the meat clean and in a bag that can breath. I have never had a pillow case rip when hanging it in a tree to cool and they weigh nothing. Once in camp I may change to elk quarter bags or just put the meat in an ice chest with no bag. Depends on temps. I own a LOT of game bags the pillow cases are just easy to carry.

AF6406E7-F3D8-4DA8-925F-4F340874F390.jpegAF7CF99E-43B7-40D7-BF22-D30F56346F17.jpeg
If size, weight, and reusability make a difference the nicer bags are well worth it. Here is a comparison of packed size and bag size. Largest to smallest on the floor: cg/gohunt wapati,cg/gohunt muley, argali backcountry.

The argali are lighter and more compact than the muley for a similar sized bag. Good for boned out elk. I believe argali makes a bigger set as well. Both brands and sizes are on gohunt.

I am not too worried about super expensive game bags for packing out meat. I carry 2-3 king size pillow cases and I can get the meat from a decent mule deer in 2 pillow cases. You can probably get all the meat in one I just like to use two to keep the weight of each bag easy to handle. The other pillow case can carry the hide if needed. I want the meat clean and in a bag that can breath. I have never had a pillow case rip when hanging it in a tree to cool and they weigh nothing. Once in camp I may change to elk quarter bags or just put the meat in an ice chest with no bag. Depends on temps. I own a LOT of game bags the pillow cases are just easy to carry.
I used to use pillow cases until I discovered the Allen synthetic bags. The Allen bags are lighter, stronger, breathe better, have strong drawstrings and are very inexpensive. I'll never go back to pillow cases.

Thanks guys.

The ones I saw at SW were not much more than pillow cases. They were cotton'ish. Not synthetic

If I'm going to have meat hung out for more than a day or so, I want to make good and sure I've got good bags that will keep the bugs and bug turds off the meat. Not sure cotton would do that. I like Caribou bags.

I have caribou bags, the size for elk. Haven't put an elk in yet, but a Pronghorn fits into the medium sized one. Big Mulie/Whitetail probably 2.

They are light, pack small and wash totally clean in minutes.

I really think the TAG, Caribou, Kuiu, and Black Ovis bags are all about the same. Biggest differences are going to be price and sizes but the synthetic material is going to be very similar for all of them.

I've personally used the Caribou and Black Ovis bags and really like them both. The Black Ovis bags are a little smaller.

I really like the reflector strips sewn on the corners of the bags, really makes it easy to see the bags hanging in a tree in the dark. One less thing to worry about.

Are they created equal? Do I just wander into Sportsman's Warehouse and grab the cheapest one?

Short answer... absolutely not.

Spend your money on durable quartering bags built for caribou. Durable bags can be washed after the season. I have bought enough for me to tag out and not have to reuse a dirty bag and not to have to wash one before I get back home from hunting. Durable ones will likely last you a lifetime.

I used the cheap ones last year. Washed them and re-rolled them and they are as good as new. I don't travel to hunt so my meat is only in them for a couple days tops. I'm sure I'll find reason to upgrade eventually, but the cheapos from Wally World have worked so far.

I just can't seem to justify buying 70 dollar game bag kit vs. the 10 dollar set of 4 Scheels sells. They have always worked well for me, maybe I am missing something I guess.

I have three duffles filled with used sheet and mantys. A little pchord and my meat stays clean even in a horse wreck. Might be old school but they have worked for over 50 years. Beware of plastic as I have seen people use garbage bags. Meat sours really fast in them.

Back