Caribou Gear Tarp

Teddy Roosevelt had it right

Wally Dog

Theodore Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I'm likely in the minority but I think there is plenty of room for more than one language and one way of life in America, so long as we don’t force other's to conform. Someday maybe someone will tell you to conform and other's will support that position then what will you do? This nation was founded on the principle of freedom not of tyranny of the majority. By the way, when did time stop? When did it become anyone’s right to tell other's that America has evolved to a point that now we turn off our minds and close door on the rest of the world? I don’t agree that everyone here must learn English. On the other hand it's awful hard to get along if you don’t know the language.

Finalshot

This country was founded as a melting and melding pot.

This means that they bring what they have here, meld into society and become part of the American force, not to come here and see how much of some thing else they can be, thats just silly, they should have just stayed where they were at if they are going to do that.

That is a very wise quote, it is also stateing that we as Americans need to stay unified in our endevours.

Yes, there can be differences of opinions, but for the most part, their very base must American...

That was a good find Wally... thanks... :)

If the United States is good enough to flee TO, you should not spend your time trying to change it into what you fled FROM. I won't force anyone to speak American English, but I should not have to learn another language to communicate with 'Americans'. I welcome all legal comers, and when I want to enjoy another culture, I visit other countries.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kws82590
Back