Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

technology???

DKO

is modern technology ruining archery are there to many gadets out there or not enough whats your opinion of new archery advancements????

------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison
fef8e353.gif.orig.gif

I wouldnt say it is ruining the sport. I like to keep my bowhunting simple. I just started using a release a couple years ago after years of finger shooting. And I shoot with only one sight pin set at 20 yards. But to each his own. If a guy likes something and thinks it will help him be more accurate and have a quick, humane kill than by all means use it if it is legal.

------------------
Live to Hunt-Terry aka Coydog.
coyote4.gif

I don't think it ruins anything. But I do think the more serious people get, the less gadgets they use.

The more serious I got in bow hunting, the more gadgets I REMOVED.

I go really lite now. Bow, four arrow, plastic quiver, sites and limb savers.

No stabalizer, and nothing else hanging off the bow.

raghorn, i totally agree 100% technology has taught some of us that we really dont need that stuff!! but i do think technology has made some very good advancements in archery broadheads especially and i think the manufacturers are making leaps and bounds as far as working out the problems with bows.The empasis seems to be on lighter,faster and more forgiving bows if you examine each area you will see that the advancements arent so bad! if you make a bow lighter than its obviously going to be more comfortable to shoot, the more comfy the better.Faster, advancements in cam design,limb design and cable design have made bows faster is arrow speed bad, hope not its a major contributor to kenetic energy so is that bad, No! and finally they are building bows to be easier to tune and are easier to shoot, i think this will help people to know how there bow works and understand it a little better therefore increasing confidence.So in my opinion i think technology is good but we must be careful of the gimmicks and gadgets and Raghorn, hit the nail on the head by saying the more knowledgable you become about bowhunting the less you will depend on gimmicks and gadgets!

------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison
fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

I am with you 100 percent on the technologies on the core componants, such as the bows and broadheads. I bought a new bow last year and started shooting the spitfire broadheads. I absolutely love both.

Technology won't ruin anything, but people using it will!!! I thank all the advances in technology, it has helped our sport grow by leaps and bounds. One of the main reason more people weren't bow hunters 30 yrs. ago, is because of the constant practice that shooting a traditional bow takes. Just my thoughts.

Technology won't ruin anything, but people using it will!!! I thank all the advances in technology, it has helped our sport grow by leaps and bounds. One of the main reason more people weren't bow hunters 30 yrs. ago, is because of the constant practice that shooting a traditional bow takes. Just my thoughts.
You nailed it! I bet when you wrote this nobody was taking 100 yard shots at game and 800 yards with muzzle loaders! Was there 14 cameras on every water source back then? Were people using drones to scout?

If you would have said in 2000 that we would be looking at $200 quivers, $300 sights, $150 arrows, $2000 bows, I would have said ah, come on man, will not be that bad ? Well, it is. But the people still come and the numbers in the field increase. Tags get more expensive, there aren't enough to go around and people can attempt to hunt in multiple states. The technology is helping people try longer shots and increases the efficiency of the weapons. Leasing, guiding and outright gotta have my own purchases are changing our destiny. I understand the good old days principle now. We are headed to any weapon seasons soon.

Sorry to seem like a debbie downer. I had a great year in archery and harvested my best deer to date. The tech thing never stops. The path of least resistance is usually the easiest and almost all animals choose the easiest path. We as an evolved species need to decide where to draw the lines or everybody will be using drones or cell cameras with remote controlled triggers and the whole thing will be a joke. If you want the well to do remotely hunting where you used to hunt, just keep it up.

I've got some 70 yr old recurves that still shoot pretty good but My go to Hoyt is a 2013 model. The recurve I took hunting this year was a 1963 Howatt Hunter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back