technology???

Send Grandpa to WY, they've been using crossbows in archery for 40 years without issue.
They sure have, I use a compound bow but Grandpa could hunt with me any day during archery season. Any day, plus I bet some of the stories are great.

So if an old man wants to hunt all of archery season with a slug gun with open sights you gonna let them?
Really, really that's what you got out of that. Do we need to repost what you said, " he shouldn't be hunting the entire ARCHERY SEASON with it either " your words. There's a big difference. Let me overload your mind some more. In WY you can archery hunt with long bow, compound bow, or crossbow during regular rifle season as long as you have orange/pink on. And no if Grandpa wants to us a slug gun with open sights during shotgun season I'm going to let him shot my old slug gun with scope before we go and see if he likes it.

Really, really that's what you got out of that. Do we need to repost what you said, " he shouldn't be hunting the entire ARCHERY SEASON with it either " your words. There's a big difference. Let me overload your mind some more. In WY you can archery hunt with long bow, compound bow, or crossbow during regular rifle season as long as you have orange/pink on. And no if Grandpa wants to us a slug gun with open sights during shotgun season I'm going to let him shot my old slug gun with scope before we go and see if he likes it.
Enjoy your ice cream.

So if an old man wants to hunt all of archery season with a slug gun with open sights you gonna let them?
I'm not advocating for crossbows. But if someone is disabled and unable to use a regular bow, especially in a case like this, it's acceptable in my opinion.

A slug gun is significantly different than a crossbow.

What I don't find acceptable is anyone being able to use a crossbow during archery season. MN had a good system before. Then they ruined it by letting ever Tom, Dick, and Harry use a crossbow for the entirety of archery season.

I'm not advocating for crossbows. But if someone is disabled and unable to use a regular bow, especially in a case like this, it's acceptable in my opinion.

A slug gun is significantly different than a crossbow.

What I don't find acceptable is anyone being able to use a crossbow during archery season. MN had a good system before. Then they ruined it by letting ever Tom, Dick, and Harry use a crossbow for the entirety of archery season.
So did Illinois.

slug gun is significantly different than a crossbow.
Not that long ago a smooth bore slug gun had the range of about 50 to 60 yards. That's really all we had to hunt deer with in the nineties. Unless you were "rich" enough to afford a new rifled one. I'd argue that hunting with a single shot smooth bore slug gun is a lot closer to hunting with a crossbow than a bow. Oh and we didn't have a scope on those either. I'm not saying someone who can't physically bow hunt shouldn't be allowed to hunt with one in some way or another if thats what they chose. But the two weapons are apples and bicycles.

Last edited:
Not that long ago a smooth bore slug gun had the range of about 50 to 60 yards. That's really all we had to hunt deer with in the nineties. Unless you were "rich" enough to afford a new rifled one. I'd argue that hunting with a single shot smooth bore slug gun is a lot closer to hunting with a crossbow than a bow. Oh and we didn't have a scope on those either. I'm not saying someone who can't physically bow hunt shouldn't be allowed to hunt with one in some way or another if thats what they chose. But the two weapons are apples and bicycles.
The biggest advantage of a slug compared to a crossbow is the ability to shoot through brush in my opinion. If we compare modern crossbows to modern slug guns that'd probably be the biggest difference still. A slug gun could edge it out on range also. Also, you're lobbing a 1oz chunk of lead! Lol

Sounds like grandpa’s a pussy.
I can guarantee he was a better man and hunter than you could ever dream of being... GFY

Ok you guys have derailed this enough. @TX Trophy Hunter just come out and tell us what tag are you applying for. You have to have something up your sleeve to bring this old ass thread back to life.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back