Yeti GOBOX Collection

Teacher Openings on Prince of Wales Island, Alaska

AndyPOW

If you or anyone you know who is a teacher and wants a reason to move to Alaska this might be your year. My school district has several openings for elementary or K-12 teachers. SPED is a plus. One of those openings may be working with me in Whale Pass, depending on whether or not there is internal interest. This position has not been posted yet. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Link: http://www.alaskateacher.org/jobs/detail.htm?choosedistrict=true&applitrackclient=1684

I have this fantasy my wife would like to teach in Alaska for a couple years.
Mentioned your post to her...." no way in hell ".
And that is that.
It certainly isn't for everybody. A person has to like remote, accept some level of inconvenience (like the mail plane doesn't come in for the month of December due to weather), and get up in the morning and say "Wow, another rainy day. . . excellent!"

And that is that.
Dammit, I was all ready to come visit.

Reactions: Hem
Hahaha. . .do your homework and get back to me.
Just kidding. My crab and shrimp traps go out in front of my house if I need some of either. There is a 6 month deer season (limit 4 bucks), bear season is September 1 to the following June 30 (limit 2). Elk are across Clarence Strait on Etolin (draw hunt). Moose are 50 miles away by boat on Kuiu (OTC tag), all the salmon are either in the streams or the salt, steelhead start showing up in a couple of weeks and go through May, halibut, lingcod, rockfish, flounder, all the clams you want for the digging, wolf. People are by and large quite conservative with a "live and let live" outlook on life.

The deer hunting can be any combination of beach hunts, low country/muskeg and making the effort to get up to the alpine. You could explore POW and the surrounding islands and water the rest of your life and not get to it all.

It is growing zone 7b, not very cold winters, and not very warm summers. Did I mention it rains? This was the first year it did not get cold enough to freeze the bay which is awesome since my boys and I commute two miles to the town dock every day to get to school.

Teachers have a tremendous amount of autonomy, which can be intimidating. I bring the middle school and high school kids on what we call Subsistence Week. We camp, hunt, set halibut skates, shrimp pots, go fishing. Parents join us as much as they can to hunt and cook amazing food at camp.

Whale Pass school runs an annual fund raiser which is a Gun Calendar raffle. We sell 100 calendars at $200 each, and have an awesome list of rifles. We send kids to archery Nationals every year. We are starting the national marksmanship program. We have a four day school week; three days of academics, and a day of electives. My afternoon elective this year is Outdoor and Subsistence Skills.2021 Gun Calendar Cover.jpg

Last edited:
I've lived and worked on three continents. I had my own kids go to IB World schools in Kuwait and Mongolia. It would be hard to find a better place to raise kids than Prince of Wales Island.

Whale Pass School was the #7 school in the state out of over 200 similar school; small, pre-K through 12th grade.

I’m 100% joking.
“custodial arts” is a classic Dave Chappell joke from “half baked” as is him going “custodian, dick!!!” To his friend When he refers to him as a “janitor”
Worth a watch if you’re ever bored.
sorry for the derailment.
Oh,okay.:) So then its alright for me to confess that I interpreted a custodial arts position as someone who teaches the art of ,say, graphitti but then shortly thereafter cleans it up.
Damn, things are slow,...last day of February.

And that is that.
When I finished my MAT in 2010, there were basically no teaching jobs in any of the districts near us. What few jobs there were all were going to teachers with 10+ years experience, not to dummy new grads like me. I had a couple panel interviews with like eight other applicants that were absolutely demoralizing. Anyway, the only place at that time that was hiring teachers—actively recruiting them actually—was Alaska.

After talking with a recruiter at a job fair I was ready sign the papers and pack up immediately. Went home and told my wife and before I could even finish the first sentence she stuck her hand up and said, “Alaska? No F-ing way.”

When I finished my MAT in 2010, there were basically no teaching jobs in any of the districts near us. What few jobs there were all were going to teachers with 10+ years experience, not to dummy new grads like me. I had a couple panel interviews with like eight other applicants that were absolutely demoralizing. Anyway, the only place at that time that was hiring teachers—actively recruiting them actually—was Alaska.

After talking with a recruiter at a job fair I was ready sign the papers and pack up immediately. Went home and told my wife and before I could even finish the first sentence she stuck her hand up and said, “Alaska? No F-ing way.”
Fortunately most people only know Alaska by its reputation; Eskimos, igloos and polar bears. Southeast Alaska is just a blank spot on the map as far as most people are concerned.

Heck, we get Amazon Prime free shipping right to the dock, and haven't seen a polar bear for a long time!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back