Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Teacher Openings on Prince of Wales Island, Alaska

I’d go visit the third week in December to make sure I could handle the winters.
Some years it is below freezing. This year our above ground gravity water line was hooked up until mid-January. I posted the 10 days weather forecast a few posts up.

Some years it is below freezing. This year our above ground gravity water line was hooked up until mid-January. I posted the 10 days weather forecast a few posts up.
For me it would be all about the daylight. I can handle cold.....

For me it would be all about the daylight. I can handle cold.....
It is not even close to the daylight hours or lack thereof in Fairbanks and further north. Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, have fewer daylight hours than Seattle but still plenty of daylight in those months to get things done. And the good news is from March thru Oct even more sun hours than Seattle.

It is not even close to the daylight hours or lack thereof in Fairbanks and further north. Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, have fewer daylight hours than Seattle but still plenty of daylight in those months to get things done. And the good news is from March thru Oct even more sun hours than Seattle.
Yep, I find by mid-February day length is back to "normal" feeling. I'm a former New Englander, with 20 years in Maine, so that is what I'm comparing it to.

Hi All, the elementary teacher position is still open in Whale Pass, Alaska. It is a dream job for the right person/family. Next year you would have a whopping 5 students. 18 students in the entire school (five of which are mine). It is basically a homeschool group with public school funding. Position listing is below:

Hi All, the elementary teacher position is still open in Whale Pass, Alaska. It is a dream job for the right person/family. Next year you would have a whopping 5 students. 18 students in the entire school (five of which are mine). It is basically a homeschool group with public school funding. Position listing is below:
I hope you find someone Andy. What happens if it goes unfilled?

One of the best weeks of my life I spent on POW hunting black bear. I am an art teacher and stopped by the high school in Craig. The principal at the time took me on a full tour of the school. They were actually screwing down the last chair in the brand new auditorium when we walked in there. It was an extremely nice school and looked more like a hunting lodge from the outside than a school. I would have given about anything to teach art up there, but there just hasn't been much demand for that position. So I taught in Montana for 25 years which was a pretty solid alternative. I haven't been back to Alaska for 20 years, but I'm headed up to Seward in June to fish and I can hardly wait. I'm like a little kid waiting on Christmas. I could easily adapt and live in Alaska, but that ship has sailed for me and I never could jump aboard. I truly envy you AndyPOW you live on a rock in paradise!

Andy I wonder if the opening may be a teacher who is moving back down to SW MT. I know his girlfriend just moved back to town and wasn't sure if when he was moving back.

Andy I wonder if the opening may be a teacher who is moving back down to SW MT. I know his girlfriend just moved back to town and wasn't sure if when he was moving back.
No, a long time resident of Whale Pass is moving on with her life. Her kids, grandkids and a bunch of friends live in Juneau. . . .

I presume all the Bad Example positions are filled? ;)

After living and working on 3 continents Whale Pass and the surrounding woods, mountains, ocean etc. . . is absolutely one of the best places to raise self-reliant kids. If you have strong, traditional American values, and desire a place to raise your kids where they fish off the dock, ride their bikes to the store, go trapping, fishing and hunting right from their houses, and the whole community knows and looks after them. . . .and qualify for the job, take a look. We are currently ranked 7th in the State for academics, attendance and graduation rate out of more than 200 schools of our size. Your kids will get a top-notch education, I guarantee it (I'm the middle school and high school teacher for all subjects, archery coach, leader of the annual Subsistence Week camping, fishing and hunting experience, etc. . .)

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back