Teacher Openings on Prince of Wales Island, Alaska

Friends in Texas thought we were nuts when we moved up here. I love it, but, we still own our place in Texas and I can still enjoy horses, rodeos and Texas.

If you can do it, you will love it !

How is the pay and the cost of living?
That would depend on what state you are comparing it to. It is better than many, but a person wouldn't come here necessarily for the pay. The cost of living is higher than down in America. That can be offset by eating locally. There is a lot of protein swimming and walking around. We participate in group buys from Costco a couple of times a year which reduces shipping costs. Learning how to manage a pantry and buy the sales helps. It is more about creating a life you don't need a vacation from.

Really? Man, one of the worst bug days I can ever remember was south of Petersburg on a tidal creek. Also a few days out by Rowan Bay that were pretty bad. I wonder what’s different in that short distance?
Likely the grass flats you were in. We are on a rock/gravel beach. Even "bad bugs" here aren't what I've seen on the edge of a Maine clearcut at sundown, or up in Labrador when I ran a fly fishing lodge there.

The things you get in the habit of doing and think you will miss---you dont !

The scenery, mtns, rivers, ocean is like living in a picture postcard 24/7, it is just beautiful . The hunting and fishing is far beyond anything you can imagine until you are here. You live off of the land, 4 wheel to town and when old enough, even to school, no traffic, festivals for family are regular, our own breweries make some pretty good beer, no dead bolt on the doors or even locks. If you like living in a cabin in the mountains when you go hunting once a year, and think you could stay there all year, it would work for you. If you are a 5 day week shopper at walmart, it might not be your best option. But if you enjoy hunting, fishing, hiking, skiing, mtn biking, from your back door, it could work for you. Look at a map. We are a long way from Anchorage. My next goal is to become a pilot and then own my own float plane, but I also am looking at a new horse. Decisions, decisions :)

My wife is a math and science teacher. Any jobs for water/wastewater treatment or environmental engineering up there? 😆
Its getting too crowded and stupid for me down here in the lower 48.

My wife is a math and science teacher. Any jobs for water/wastewater treatment or environmental engineering up there? 😆
Its getting too crowded and stupid for me down here in the lower 48.
The openings are for elementary or K-12. That doesn't mean the right math/science person wouldn't be given a hard look. The Kasaan position is with like 10-12 students in the whole school. I started out as a straight high school Biology teacher. Overseas it went to Middle School, Business and Management, Philosophy, etc. . Back in Alaska it became Math and Science (all the sciences). Now I'm all the academic courses for middle school and high school with 10 students. I love being able to teach them all, and I have a new appreciation for English teachers!

I'm certified K-12 Special Education and 6-12 Social Studies. My wife is 6-12 English and Social Studies and working on her National Board Certification. We both have 15 years of experience. It would take a lot to pull us from WI but you never know.

The openings are for elementary or K-12. That doesn't mean the right math/science person wouldn't be given a hard look. The Kasaan position is with like 10-12 students in the whole school. I started out as a straight high school Biology teacher. Overseas it went to Middle School, Business and Management, Philosophy, etc. . Back in Alaska it became Math and Science (all the sciences). Now I'm all the academic courses for middle school and high school with 10 students. I love being able to teach them all, and I have a new appreciation for English teachers!
11 years in elementary and 7 in High School math. Now three in adult ed. Is the work load like it is down here for teachers - 14 hours a day? I hated that

If interested

Visit,----- with the family----- and stay a week, longer if possible. Do everything you think you will want to do when you move up, in short spurts or simulation ( like if you goat hunt, take a trip via float plane and "goat hunt" without a rifle), fish, go to the cafe, school,, real estate office

and talk to everybody that will talk to you, ask questions

Also check the yearly weather report, rain, snow, sun, hours of sun,

Best of Luck to you

p.s. I forgot, which happens a lot at my age. Randi : An airplane or a horse ? what the hell kind of a horse are you buying o_O

Last edited:
If interested

Visit,----- with the family----- and stay a week, longer if possible. Do everything you think you will want to do when you move up, in short spurts or simulation ( like if you goat hunt, take a trip via float plane and "goat hunt" without a rifle), fish, go to the cafe, school,, real estate office

and talk to everybody that will talk to you, ask questions

Also check the yearly weather report, rain, snow, sun, hours of sun,

Best of Luck to you

p.s. I forgot, which happens a lot at my age. Randi : An airplane or a horse ? what the hell kind of a horse are you buying o_O
exactly. My father brought us all up, twice actually, and we did everything we could do in the time we were there. We knew we would like hunting and fishing but we were not moving up to just do that nor were we interesting in buying a boat to take folks fishing. We thought the hardest one to convince would be my mother. However, she thought the communities, schools, outdoors activities, and life style was a perfect place to raise children. However; we did keep the place in Texas and as much as I like many things here, there are also things in Texas I miss. So, thanks to my parents it has worked out perfect for me.

o.k. maybe two horses or a plane :) Damn April, picky, picky picky;)

A position for a certified secondary English/History position has opened up in Thorne Bay, which is where the district office is located.

My cousin's brother-in-law and sister-in law taught school in Craig for thirty plus years. They are retired now but still live there. I've enjoyed every trip I've made to POW. Hands down one of the most beautiful places I've been.

If you or anyone you know who is a teacher and wants a reason to move to Alaska this might be your year. My school district has several openings for elementary or K-12 teachers. SPED is a plus. One of those openings may be working with me in Whale Pass, depending on whether or not there is internal interest. This position has not been posted yet. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Link: http://www.alaskateacher.org/jobs/detail.htm?choosedistrict=true&applitrackclient=1684
Are we allowed to teach critical race theory and math is racist there?
If so, we'd like to ship a few Oregon teachers up there on a 1-way trip.

I’d go visit the third week in December to make sure I could handle the winters.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back