Taxidermy of Safari #1

fishing4sanity

I know these aren't OYOA style, but this past year (Feb 27 - March 6) my brother and I hunted in South Africa with Kido Safaris and yesterday the taxidermist delivered the animals. It was very different from western big game hunting, but a great experience and a great hunt. I was happy getting the mounts back in less than a year and very happy with how they turned out.

Attachments

• Randy&Henk.jpg
    Randy&Henk.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_1949.JPG
    IMG_1949.JPG
    340.8 KB · Views: 457
  • Giraffe.jpg
    Giraffe.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_1932.jpg
    IMG_1932.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 458
  • Munn-Randy'sNyala2.jpg
    Munn-Randy'sNyala2.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_1928.JPG
    IMG_1928.JPG
    389.6 KB · Views: 457
  • Zebra.jpg
    Zebra.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_1951.JPG
    IMG_1951.JPG
    290.7 KB · Views: 459
The rest of the mounts.

Attachments

• P1000129-1.jpg
    P1000129-1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 458
  • Randy'sImpala2.jpg
    Randy'sImpala2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_1958.jpg
    IMG_1958.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 457
  • BlackWildebeest.jpg
    BlackWildebeest.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 455
  • RainingSpringbok.jpg
    RainingSpringbok.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_1935.jpg
    IMG_1935.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 456
Congrats on a great safari.

I have seen dozens of mounts of african animals that i consider sub standard work, both done locally in south africa and also done in the hunters country of residence. But i have to admit your animals have been done superbly and are a credit to the taxidermist. Well finished mounts and an excellent addition to the trophy room.

Wow, that's a lot of grass seed and onions!

P.S. .......I see what you did there with your thread title. It is a welcome affliction this thing called safari.

Last edited:
That is a some really nice taxidermy. Having been to South Africa I was able to see those nyala up close and personal. I always thought the only way to do them justice is a life size mount because they are just beautiful animals head to toe. So I commend you for choosing to mount yours that way. Excellent all the way around.

Wow, incredible collection. I keep scrolling through looking at individual mounts that I want to comment on, but truthfully they're all stunning. The pedastal on the zebra works fantastic. Is it hide off the same animal?

I don't care what you paid that taxidermist, it was worth it. They're an artist.

kansasdad, they always say you'll be planning safari #2 before your return flight touches down. I was hoping to go back before we left Africa, it can be addicting.

Big Sky, did you hunt nyalas while you were there? I had not planned on any life-size mounts, but as you stated, after watching nyalas I decided they just had too much 'cool' factor for a shoulder mount.

Randy11, the zebra mount was something I planned before going over there and they did use skin from my zebra for the inserts. I'm very happy with the taxidermy work. I lacked the self-restraint to stay with the original plan once I got to Africa and so the taxidermy bill reflected that, luckily my wife is taking the whole thing in stride. Her only stipulation so far has been, if I go back she insists on going too.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back