Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Target Areas For Hunting During the Rut

bucksnbulls25

So, as we all know, a bulls whereabouts are going to change throughout the year depending on it's needs during that time of year, as well as external factors such as weather and hunting pressure. Being somewhat new to western hunting (about 5 years experience), I haven't been able to experience a hunt during the rut, or to observe elk behavior this time of year.

So my question would be, in map study preparation for a rut hunt, what kind of areas do you like to target? For example, on post-rut hunts, you look for sanctuary areas where they can recover and escape hunting pressure, late season hunts target open south and west facing feeding areas, etc. Being that they have one thing and one thing only on their minds during the rut, are you solely looking for areas that you believe to hold resident cows? For me, that would simply mean finding the best grazing meadows, regardless of direction orientation, elevation, and other factors, and calling above and below these meadows, but I don't have any experience hunting elk that time of year. What are the distinguishing factors of a good rut area that set them apart? How do slope direction of orientation and elevation play into the picture during this phase of the season?

Target a state or unit that doesn't manage for "opportunity". I think they need to be left relatively alone to really show rut behavior. I could be wrong, I'm newer than you at chasing elk.

Target a state or unit that doesn't manage for "opportunity". I think they need to be left relatively alone to really show rut behavior. I could be wrong, I'm newer than you at chasing elk.

Was asking more about how people develop their strategy in what areas they target within their chosen unit, but I do agree with your take that less pressured units probably offer more natural rutting activity

Targeting meadows sounds great, but in my experience if you can clearly see a meadow on an aerial photo it’s just a magnet for people.

Was asking more about how people develop their strategy in what areas they target within their chosen unit, but I do agree with your take that less pressured units probably offer more natural rutting activity

Go where the elk are. It depends on a myriad of factors, to include weather, recent fire activity, overall herd numbers, hunter pressure, travel management plans, wilderness designation, and so on. I've hunted rutting elk on north facing slopes in heavy timber and on south facing sagebrush. They are where they are. Look for feed, water, and security, the last probably being the most important.

I just walk and walk and walk some more until I find them. I try to pick an area on the map that I can get 1.5-2 miles from any road or trail and head that direction. I typically end up finding them rutting in pretty hard to reach areas by then as it seems they have been pressured to end up there. Still have to make sure those remote areas have the essentials(feed, water, bedding,etc)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
applesauce4000
Back