Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

August Alaskan moose hunt

Wyohandscold

My brother and I are going on an Alaskan moose hunt in August with bows. We have a family member running us up the river to set up camp and hunt. It’s thick country with not a lot of elevation change. Any advise anyone has to hunt moose this early without the ability to glass? Just wander?

Hard to wander in the thick brush along the rivers. Maybe ease along the river looking for sign, and still hunt slow in areas where there seem to be sign. Moose can move really quietly when they want to, take your time and watch and listen. August seems a little early for calling.

That was snarky but it’s actually true. It is likely to be wet and sometimes buggy in August although depends which August. But very very difficult moose hunting. In August I’ve run into bull moose above timberline and by mistake, and that’s about it. Also on lakes feeding in the evening I suppose.

Still hunting can be productive for locating moose. Just move slowly and keep searching around. Finding the correct browse is important, birch willow n such. Move around the edges of the heavy brush and birch forests. Good luck n have fun

Still hunting can be productive for locating moose. Just move slowly and keep searching around. Finding the correct browse is important, birch willow n such. Move around the edges of the heavy brush and birch forests. Good luck n have fun
Perfect! I love still hunting. Thank you

Sounds like you're set up for an amazing trip! Couple questions... Is there a reason for going in August? Would you be able to push it back to the end of the general season? Moose can be very receptive to calling. I'm a rifle hunter, but every moose I've shot has been w/in bow range. We hunt an area where the only glassing you're able to do is from the top of a tree.

Sounds like you're set up for an amazing trip! Couple questions... Is there a reason for going in August? Would you be able to push it back to the end of the general season? Moose can be very receptive to calling. I'm a rifle hunter, but every moose I've shot has been w/in bow range. We hunt an area where the only glassing you're able to do is from the top of a tree.
I would love to push the trip back but it’s just not possible this year. My brother only has a handful of days off during September and October this year.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back