Talley Lightweight Ring/Mount System Base Torque Spec.

ludville1

I just received the Talley Light Weight Ring/Mount System for my Browning X Bolt. It says on the Talley package 17-20" lbs. for the ring screws, but doesn't list a torque spec. for the bases. What torque spec. do you use on the bases for a Browning X Bolt? Thanks.

Watched a gunsmith doing this mount on Youtube and followed up with some additional research. All say 17-20 in. lbs for Talley lightweight on both top and base mount. Suggest using blue locktite on base, but not the upper ring screws. Talley also says no lapping. My Talley lightwieghts are on their way from Mr. Potterfield as we speak. Good luck!

17-20 in/lbs for a 6-48 screw. You risk stretching the threads on a 6-48 if you exceed 20.

You can torque an 8-40 screw to 30 in/lbs if it’s quality steel, which is one benefit to having an action drilled and tapped for larger screws. That and greater sheer strength.

Watched a gunsmith doing this mount on Youtube and followed up with some additional research. All say 17-20 in. lbs for Talley lightweight on both top and base mount. Suggest using blue locktite on base, but not the upper ring screws. Talley also says no lapping. My Talley lightwieghts are on their way from Mr. Potterfield as we speak. Good luck!
Thanks for this information! Ah yes, Larry Potterfield at Midway USA...have done a fair amount of business with him myself, lol!

This probably isn't the best advice, but for the bases I use blue loctite and just crank them pretty much as hard as I can with the little allen wrench. I don't want those moving at all.

One thing with these Talley Lightweight mounts, at least for the Browning X Bolt you will need a T-15 torx bit with the longer (2") shank if you are going to install with a torque wrench...guess that I will be picking one up.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back