Taking the plunge.

Good luck! There's a scarcity of good gunsmiths, sure you will do well.

Yeah man! Cream rises. You’ll do great.
I will triple the good cpa/bookkeeper. Spend your time doing what you enjoy and are good at; outsource the rest. Pay yourself first.
And keep up with sharing your work here and on IG. Let people not only see your quality in craftsmanship, but keep putting in front of them what is possible.

All your work is superb! After seeing the thread where you jeweled the bolt on the lever gun I want to send you the bolt of my Mod. 70 to be redone.

And later a full on project once I decide what that is. 🤣

@p_ham , today is the day! Hope you clock off for the last time and feel relief and excitement for tomorrow. And I hope you got some appreciation from your current employer. I am sure you gave just as much attention to detail wrenching lifts as you do firearms, even though you enjoy it less. Take you and the fam out for a steak dinner to celebrate! It’s on … well, it’s on you, but I support it 100%.
… After that, bright and early tomorrow morning, get to work on all our guns! 🤣

p_ham, it's been just over a couple months since you struck out on your own. How is it going? Is it what you had hoped for? Unseen pains in the ass? Too much work? Not enough? Do you like the variety or is there specific work that you enjoy more than others? I am curious.

p_ham, it's been just over a couple months since you struck out on your own. How is it going? Is it what you had hoped for? Unseen pains in the ass? Too much work? Not enough? Do you like the variety or is there specific work that you enjoy more than others? I am curious.
So far, it's been great, I've got more time with the family which was the main goal. I do need to get better at keeping a standard work schedule. I find myself out in the shop past my "go inside time" fairly often. The commute from the back door to the shop isn't bad, though sometimes there's an old Labrador slowing traffic.

Workflow has been steady, I've been able to speed lead times up from what they were part time. I'm keeping the smaller jobs right around 2 weeks right now. I've got a few larger jobs that I've had entirely too long too though. I batch similar jobs together so that does dictate flow somewhat.
I still haven't advertised anything local, which is something I need to get on. Add it to the scheduling I suppose. Social media has been treating me pretty well minus Instagram deciding I'm naughty and now they won't recommend me to non-followers.

Paperwork is always a pain, no way around it. For every firearm that comes in I've got 1/2-1hr of processing that needs done.
I need a better system of keeping track of what parts I've got on order for what job. I've got a whiteboard with job statuses on it that does help track things. I've got individual storage bins for each job, I think keeping a build sheet in each bin is going to have to happen.

I'm working on running inventory on my website for sale. Mostly engraved goods and maybe merchandise. Having time to make said goods is another issue. I'm looking at dedicating 1 day each week to adding inventory and running orders.

I do enjoy the variety. I would like to start specializing more into the more classic firearms, levers, single shots, whatnot. A lot of the guys that are working on those old designs are in their late 70's- 80's now. I'm working on getting into rolling blocks more, as well as doing more lever gun work. Don't get me wrong, I like bolt guns too but there's a certain romance with the other stuff. I should have a heat treat oven built in the next couple weeks. I'm going to start playing around with color case hardening. I think it'll be fairly popular once I get it figured out.

There are a lot of us that have antiques that need a make over. I need one back to then send a complete model 12 pump down there.
Paul's Working on my Grandfathers, salt water canoe paddle, fish club, bear club, pry bar, duck shooter Mdl. 12. It's so old my oldest granddaughter is 15. My son gets it for Christmas. Looking pretty dang good so far.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back