Tahr Hunt Offer

Here are some iPhone photos from my recent tahr hunt. Sorry about the pics being up-side-down!

IMG_5228.jpgIMG_5184.jpgIMG_5146.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5049.jpg
    IMG_5049.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 472
I am looking at a hunt swap so if anyone wants to join me tahr or chamois hunting please get in touch. My 2018 tentative plan is to hunt mule deer in CO. I have two points for both elk and deer.

I am looking at a hunt swap so if anyone wants to join me tahr or chamois hunting please get in touch. My 2018 tentative plan is to hunt mule deer in CO. I have two points for both elk and deer.

Sorry i don't have Mule deer in the UK, pity.
You hunt in some fantastic places.

My best friend's son and his girlfriend have just started a NZ adventure, been in Auckland for 2 weeks, the plan is to return back to the UK in 23 months time, damned if i would return to the UK being in their 20's like they are!
He doesn't hunt, but i taught him to fly fish when he was a kid, when he was 19 i took him to Montana for 2 weeks fishing.
Shame he doesn't hunt, you are either a hunter or you're not, i tried to get him interested, failed!

Cheers

Richard

If your friends son wants any advice / help let me know. I don't really fly fish but I do know some popular spots that are meant to be good near Taupo.

I'm planning a spring tahr hunt early December this year. As per original post if you would like to join me get in touch. Not 100% sure what to expect as there is a big tahr cull underway now.

Good luck! Should be better odds being a later period.

I’m hoping my luck changes in the main ballot after missing out for a few years now.

I need to do one of these NZ public land hunts before I run out of health.

This would be an amazing day by day hunt series to complete. You could spend two weeks down there and hunt Tahr, Shammy, Stag, and Fallow Deer. I would love to watch this series especially how you would tackle the logistics of these hunts.

The
This would be an amazing day by day hunt series to complete. You could spend two weeks down there and hunt Tahr, Shammy, Stag, and Fallow Deer. I would love to watch this series especially how you would tackle the logistics of these hunts.
The logistics are pretty straightforward for these types of hunts. We often use choppers so getting to hunting areas is pretty easy. Walking takes a bit more organising and of course fitness. We don’t have any rules about waiting to hunt after landing, but hunting four species on public land would be pretty rushed. Two species would normally be ideal and often two species can be seen in the same location eg chamois and tahr or fallow and chamois. I usually hunt one week but focusing on one species.

The

The logistics are pretty straightforward for these types of hunts. We often use choppers so getting to hunting areas is pretty easy. Walking takes a bit more organising and of course fitness. We don’t have any rules about waiting to hunt after landing, but hunting four species on public land would be pretty rushed. Two species would normally be ideal and often two species can be seen in the same location eg chamois and tahr or fallow and chamois. I usually hunt one week but focusing on one species.

I have been dreaming about a New Zealand hunt for a few years now and I will probably get to go in about five years. I would be taking my family and my two boys and I would hope to go at the beginning of New Zealand’s fall season for about three weeks and stay in the cabin system in the mountains. I like the look of the Arthur Pass National and the Victoria forest park as possible places to hunt stag and chamois and tahr. If I only had to hunt one species it would be a stag. Our family is big into hiking and back packing so we would not be daunted by multiple days in the wilderness. At current prices I think we could pull the trip off for about $7000. For a family of four. Plus with the extra people more luggage could be used to take meat back with us. If there was any mistakes that Americans should avoid when trying to do these trips, I would love to hear what to avoid and what not to do.

Sounds like you have been doing some good research. The cabins (huts we call them) are fantastic and cheap. Most can’t be booked so a plan b is needed. But April May is a good time to visit for sure. Great hunting. Those two places you menitioned don’t have tahr. Tahr are controlled in that any north of Rakaia are shot. Two things to watch in NZ are rivers (when crossing) and weather changes. Take both these things seriously and you’ll be fine.

I'm planning a spring tahr hunt late next month. As per original post if you would like to join me get in touch. The big tahr cull has been completed, so will have to see what impact that has.

I'm thinking of hunting the roar for the first time but not until 2021. I'd like to explore the North Island because I haven't been there yet but I'm thinking South Island Westcoast would be better hunting.

Back