Tag Soup

Ben Lamb

Any one have a recipe to take away the bitterness?

Passed on a few whitetail does & fawns. Just couldn't pull the trigger after the big die off in R4. Had 50 mule deer does & Fawns within 75 yards - no buck in the bunch.

Elk sign? Everywhere. Elk? Apparently they don't exist. Phantoms in the mist.

Still had a great time running around the Rocky Mountain Front and the coulees of Charlie Russell Country. And there's a pronghorn freezer so at least I'll have some game meat to cry into.

Attachments

• tag soup.jpg
    tag soup.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
Coarsely chop CA deer tags, add to soup, salt and pepper to taste.

1660603_10203927062711673_4416603325174039828_n.jpg

If the old saying that "misery loves company" is true, than I can offer you the consolation of not being alone. Tags in MT, WY & WA and only notched the WY antelope tag, but it was great therapy just to be out there hunting. I'm saving all my un-notched tags for the cremation fire when I die - it's starting to look like it'll be quite the bonfire.

Any one have a recipe to take away the bitterness?

Passed on a few whitetail does & fawns. Just couldn't pull the trigger after the big die off in R4. Had 50 mule deer does & Fawns within 75 yards - no buck in the bunch.

Elk sign? Everywhere. Elk? Apparently they don't exist. Phantoms in the mist.

Still had a great time running around the Rocky Mountain Front and the coulees of Charlie Russell Country. And there's a pronghorn freezer so at least I'll have some game meat to cry into.

The same exact story for me Ben...except I didn't see many mule deer.

I'm going to Confit my Deer tag as I think they are a little dry and chewy. Maybe I'll try to Sous Vide the elk tag.

I've come accustomed to the flavor of my tags over the usual matzos. :eek:

I wonder if Missouri River Breaks elk tag soup tastes better than regular tag soup? We should have a potluck.

I wonder if Missouri River Breaks elk tag soup tastes better than regular tag soup? We should have a potluck.

My General Elk Tag soup was pretty tough last night. I probably should have let it hang longer.

As a general rule, the amount of beer you drink while feasting upon tag soup is inverse to the nasty effects the tag soup has on your taste buds and guts. It was tough to get up for work this morning.

Me too. I think the whitetail rut is a myth dreamed up by the outdoor product salesmen to sell all of their junk. No indication of any rutting activity this year (and I had the week of 11/15-11/23 off to hunt). At least I filled my cow elk tag, but no whitetail this year.

Me too. I think the whitetail rut is a myth dreamed up by the outdoor product salesmen to sell all of their junk. No indication of any rutting activity this year (and I had the week of 11/15-11/23 off to hunt). At least I filled my cow elk tag, but no whitetail this year.

I was up in Bonner's Ferry last week and the bucks were plumb stupid. We weren't hunting them, but it was fun to watch.

Ben, when do you want to come over for dinner? I am serving meat soup. Tag soup is not allowed in my house.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back